Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 2.2's -vs- 1.9 Stockers on Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 2.2's -vs- 1.9 Stockers on Honcho

OK, I planed on keeping my new Honcho on 1.9's. But for the hell of it, I put on a set of Axial ARTR 2.2's with the stock Hammers on 'em on the rig for a quick run in the yard. DAYUM!!!! This truck was a kick before, but with those 2.2's on there it was a HOOT!!! The extra axle clearance was great in the rocks, the higher gearing was great, but one of the biggest things I noticed was just how much MORE traction I had. The truck would pull wheelies from a standing start on grass and concrete, and still crawled WAY better.
So this brings me to my big question: Are the stock Flat Irons crap tires for grip? I know that the stock Hammers from the ARTR are NOT the best tire around for grip by a long shot, but they seem to be hooking up WAY better. Is it just the size putting more rubber on the ground that is making the big difference?
Is there a good scale looking 1.9 tire that would be a little taller and grip better than the Flat Irons?
I know this may sound a little newbie'ish, but I have never had a 1.9 rig before, so the 1.9 tires are not something I have any working knowledge of.

Last edited by durango#95; 09-08-2010 at 07:13 PM.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

yes, its the size, the hammers and flat irons you tested probaly have the same compound.

rok loks are are a great 1.9 tire that has more hight and IMO works a hell of a lot better! and IMO 2.2s look like crap on a honcho and lose all the scaleness.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I agree completely. I want to keep 1.9's on it, hell, I would go to 1.5's if they were not so damed expensive to get the wheel/tire combo, and I have no idea if any of the 1.5's actually hookup or not. I want the scale look, but not at the cost of all performance, know what I mean?
Do the Rock Locks work good on the rocks?
I have been just feeling of the grip of these 2 tires here on my hand, and across the desk, the Flat Irons that came with my truck are slick as hell compared to the Hammers. The hammers are 1/2 worn out as well, that might be making a difference.
durango#95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have the same dilema...

I have 2.2" on mine and I really like how the off road capabilities are increased by higher ground clearance. I loose scale points but I can live with it

The 1.9" are way more realistic and this is why I changed my mind everyday about 1.9" vs 2.2" I think I should buy another scale truck only for the true scale look
Sylvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I say go 2.2 I'm running m3hammers on mine and when we go scaling with my mates cc01 and stock honcho..I can climb stuff better and have a better time enjoying not having to drag my diff around..to me it looks more scale than the space saver 1.9s lol were all entitled to our own opinion so Olof you ask one guy 2.2 looks scale another will disagree build your truck the way you like it so I say 2.2 all the way tuff truck!!!
gymjunkie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymjunkie23 View Post
I say go 2.2 I'm running m3hammers on mine and when we go scaling with my mates cc01 and stock honcho..I can climb stuff better and have a better time enjoying not having to drag my diff around..to me it looks more scale than the space saver 1.9s lol were all entitled to our own opinion so Olof you ask one guy 2.2 looks scale another will disagree build your truck the way you like it so I say 2.2 all the way tuff truck!!!
X2 on the 2.2. I like the 1.9s and have a set of rok lox on a honcho. I like the 2.2s better.
motur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Unless you are a scale competitor run what you like the best.
I much prefer 2.2s on my Honcho. it's just that much more fun to drive for me.
Scale points mean nothing to me...Just the fun i have with the truck.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The 2.2 Flatirons would be the scale equivalent of a trail truck with 52" tires. I can find nothing wrong with that!
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #9

I say's it's your truck put whatever your heart desire
Mcnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnms View Post
I say's it's your truck put whatever your heart desire
Agree I just hate people going o 2.2 is not scale lol scale to some people might not be scale to some people
gymjunkie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

So run the 2.2 whatever you want when bashing with friends. And change them out to whatever 1.9's you want when you are running scale comps.

I also have hammers I plan to run when bashing they are good because they are shorter than comp 2.2's are

I have flatirons and twofaces they seem to have about the same traction on slick stuff I am in the hunt for the rok lok's to determine if the looser tread pattern helps.

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

If you want to be able to switch between 1.9 and 2.2...just get the shortest 2.2 tire. I think that would be the Flat Iron 2.2....and the best part with the honcho is that you can stretch out the rear for a longer wheelbase if needed.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

It is nice to have a separate body for the 2.2's. I really had to open up the wheelwells when I put 2.2's on my scx10.
Planespotter is offline   Reply With Quote