Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho RTR and worthy upgrades...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #1

Default Honcho RTR and worthy upgrades...

I was just recently gifted a Honcho RTR, would have preferred the kit but the RTR was still a great gift. I currently have a Gmade R1 build going on and an XR10 waiting after that, so this was the perfect addition to my growing crawling section of my RC garage

Anyways since it is the RTR I will be doing a few upgrades. I have a 4PKS and a RX which I will be using in it. Here are a few other upgrades I was looking at.

MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (I have an extra set of the Junfac Hardened shafts but it looks like they will not fit the Honcho version)

Axial Aluminum Drive Shaft Rings

Is the included 4 link setup good or would I be better of with something like the Axial Bender Customs 4-link Plate?

I already got the Axial SCX10 TR Aluminum Links Upgrade Set (313mm) and some Pro-Line PowerStroke Scaler Shocks. Later on I will upgrade to a HH esc and one of their Handwound 35t motors.

Will these make the RTR worthy for a while right off the bat? Can't wait to get this thing and start ripping stuff up. I love RC racing, but I think crawling will be a nice change of pace for sure.
cmjomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

I built my Honcho from kit which I believe has a few upgrades over the RTR version. And even with just a HPI Saturn 27t I had kicking around with a TRX waterproof XL5 it does pretty well. Might not have a ton of torque or wheel speed but it's fared much better than my WK turned trail/mud truck. I also live in Florida and there's not a whole lot of rock to crawl on near me. For now it's gonna be a trail truck, well it's always gonna be more of a trail and mud truck. Just that while I'm still in FL it won't be all crazy set up for crawling.

My only real plans for it so far is swap out the motor/esc for a Tekin FXR 35T combo for a lil bit of speed while still having torque and low-speed control for some crawling. That and picking up some RC4WD Rok Lox and some new beadlocks. I plan to move out to northern California which will be prime trails and crawling, I'll dig further into it.

I'm not real big on crawling, mostly cuz rocks don't live in FL... which is why I'm putting my AX10 ARTR up for sale. But it sounds like you know what's going on a bit more than I do. I just wanted to cruise by and say that I love my Honcho and it's easily one of my favorite trucks.
spliffnwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjomaha View Post
I was just recently gifted a Honcho RTR, would have preferred the kit but the RTR was still a great gift. I currently have a Gmade R1 build going on and an XR10 waiting after that, so this was the perfect addition to my growing crawling section of my RC garage

Anyways since it is the RTR I will be doing a few upgrades. I have a 4PKS and a RX which I will be using in it. Here are a few other upgrades I was looking at.

MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (I have an extra set of the Junfac Hardened shafts but it looks like they will not fit the Honcho version)

Axial Aluminum Drive Shaft Rings

Is the included 4 link setup good or would I be better of with something like the Axial Bender Customs 4-link Plate?

I already got the Axial SCX10 TR Aluminum Links Upgrade Set (313mm) and some Pro-Line PowerStroke Scaler Shocks. Later on I will upgrade to a HH esc and one of their Handwound 35t motors.

Will these make the RTR worthy for a while right off the bat? Can't wait to get this thing and start ripping stuff up. I love RC racing, but I think crawling will be a nice change of pace for sure.
If you run replacement driveshafts the driveshaft rings should not be necessary.

I have put my 4 link through hell with no problems. I think it looks more scale as well:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0043&search=Go

As far as "worthy" it all depends. You could do a lot to make it appear ore scale with different bodies and scale accessories ... or focus on performance and upgrades for speed and durability. A stronger servo, CVDs, etc, etc.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote