Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My "Project-JK"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My "Project-JK"

Hello everyone! It's been quite a while since I've had a chance to actually sit down and get a project under way but finally I have a bit of time to get one going. For the longest time I've wanted to build another JK 4 door. I know there are alot of them but it's by far my favorite body so here goes......

I'm kind of backtracking a bit here since I already have the basic chassis modified and the body mounted. I still have a bunch of stuff left to do.

(Please excuse my cluttered work bench in this pic)
I really like the way the SCX10 suspension works in the stock setup and I didn't want to extend the links further so I chose to extend the frame rails instead. I wanted some separation in the links as they project from the center of the chassis. I would actually like to move the links even further like the 1:1 JK's but that will be a later task possibly. For now the goal is to make something I can get running so I can enjoy some fall-crawling/scale-ing.

The usual "Flex" shot.....

I made the frame extenders from some 1/2" square steel tubing I had laying around. I drilled out the needed mounting holes, cut the tubing in half, and milled out the center so it would fit over the orignal rails.

more to come.......
createacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Neat idea and looks alot better than the long link solution - what was the dimension between existing chassis rails - end 2 end? I got a body in the closet collecting dust ....
mfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Cool

Is that the 4-link in the rear?

How tall are your body mounts?
h2oboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfishr View Post
Neat idea and looks alot better than the long link solution - what was the dimension between existing chassis rails - end 2 end? I got a body in the closet collecting dust ....
I ended up extending the chassis 1.5". Thanks for the compliments

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oboy21 View Post
Is that the 4-link in the rear?

How tall are your body mounts?
Yep. It's Axial's 4-link set up. Works great. The rear body mounts are all the way down and holes were drilled just behind the rear seats. The front body mounts are made from a single hole TLT bracket with one ear cut off. Then I mounted them onto the body and screwed the brackes onto the side of the frame rails. It works pretty slick. I will try to post a closeup pic of how I did it.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

just curious my friend where you get that jeep body?
axialnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axialnut View Post

They used to be available at WalMart, RadioShack, Target etc. But that exact model is discontinued I believe. It just came back out with a slight change with mud added and a different color. But it seems to be the exact same. It would just take some work to get the silly mud stuff off. It is a cheapo rc that happens to have a very nice scale body on it made by "NewBright". You may be able to find one of the red and black ones around on ebay etc, or Radio Shacks seem to just be getting the new one.

1:8 JK back in stores...

Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #7

i like the build! my dad has a jk and i read the forums all the time! im thinking about buying the proline body when it comes out to do a build like this!
topgun542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axialnut View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I lucked out and got mine at Radio Shack. Someone returned it with no battery or radio. If the person that returned it would have posted it on ebay he would have doubled his money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
They used to be available at WalMart, RadioShack, Target etc. But that exact model is discontinued I believe. It just came back out with a slight change with mud added and a different color. But it seems to be the exact same. It would just take some work to get the silly mud stuff off. It is a cheapo rc that happens to have a very nice scale body on it made by "NewBright". You may be able to find one of the red and black ones around on ebay etc, or Radio Shacks seem to just be getting the new one.

1:8 JK back in stores...

Thank you Rook for replying. I hate it when you ask a question on a thread and it gets ignored. I owe you one

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun542 View Post
i like the build! my dad has a jk and i read the forums all the time! im thinking about buying the proline body when it comes out to do a build like this!
Ya. The Proline one looks promising. The best thing about the N/B JK body is the interior and the uncanny "fitability" to the SCX10 chassis. If you're starting from the ground up, it's a great way to get one together in a hurry.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

A few pics to update:

Here's how I attached the body to the frame rails.

The goal here is to attach the interior to the frame rails and make some type of waterproof area for the electronics.

Here is how I attached the back part of the interior to the frame

Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I don't know if anyone has had any luck with this idea but I injected the tires with water. You can flick the tire sidewall and all you hear is a "thunk". The Proline TSL's are super soft so the added "fluid" weight helps them conform to anything. So far it's worked pretty good.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have a 12 year old son who does some awsome body/Bondo work!!! here is a sample. Thanks "B"

Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #12

Thats freaking awesome!!!
Much better than the Proline body - so much more scale details.
I just picked up a New Bright from Radiosnatch this morning.

What type of primer did you use???

YingYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
RCC Addict

DAMN thats dirty! ha ha Im diggin the new paint scheme and wonder if the plastic is all molded black.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser3100 View Post
DAMN thats dirty! ha ha Im diggin the new paint scheme and wonder if the plastic is all molded black.
It does seem to be all molded black, other than the interior.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I finally got some color on the body. I still have alot of detail work to do.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #16

Im diggin the OD green. I have to paint mine red to match my 1:1

Got mine sanded and primed. How did the bondo stick to the flares? I want to bondo the fenders then cut lilke you did.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I used glazing putty. The redish/orange stuff. It works good but be sure to use it sparingly. It attacked the plastic but not bad enough to deform it. I just let is sit for a couple days so it dried really good then handed the body to my son so he could sand the hell out of it. I'm pretty sure it stuck cuz I trimmed a bit more off the flares after the bondo work and nothing flaked/chipped off.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

My son and I painted the door handles and minor details today. I "scrapped" in one of those PL-C floor pans inside. The reason I say "scrapped" is because I had to cut it in half and trim the heck out of it to fit. My next rig will definately be a SCX10 with one of those XJ bodies and floor pan.

here's a pic of our progress....(not much different other than the door handles etc)

Old 11-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
riz
Quarry Creeper

I'm really diggin' the looks of that! Keep up the good work and keep sharing progress pics.

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Getting ready to do the same thing. I need a picture of how your tranz is now mounted. I saw the other with the split skid plate. How did you fab up the center to bolt it up? Great job so far, this is the start of my winter project.
Thanks John
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote