Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Am I expecting to much from this Honcho?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Am I expecting to much from this Honcho?

So very new to crawling and just got a TR honcho as I also have a NewBright JK body that i wanted to mount up to it to copy my JK. So had it out tonight all stock and man... I was not impressed. Friend has scorpion and i know it's on 2.2 and chassis is different but I couldn't climb anything that it did. Electronics keep cutting out, it will just sit there with wheels still turned and it won't go. so i either have to go over and pick it up, kicks right in for whatever reason or sometimes i could turn off radio and back on and it would work again. Stock seems to have no flex, maybe two inches before it lifts another wheel. It is still set with 3 link, read the 4 link can help with flex so will try that tomorrow, also adding weight to front wheels and going to cut the foam a little...Any other info on this thing would help before i regret buying it....
Jeeper2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about the electronic problems but......

Keep in mind the Trail Honcho is exactly what the name says. It's not a comp crawler by any means.

Be patient with it and try some different set ups to see what you like & don't like. If it's more rock crawling you want to do then you might want to get something different. I love my Honcho and it does exactly what I want it to do!
papakev01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
I'm a stupid C U N T!

BEC
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you add a BEC to the stock electronics it will help stop the cutting out, but over all the rtr electronics are pretty much just junk. If you vent and weight the wheels it will help the suspension cycle better and get more traction. If you realy want it to flex add longer shocks, like Losi crawler shocks.

Heres my SCX-10 flexed out on a 3" tall paint can, and running Losi shocks. It will sit higher but will flex like crazy. Notice both rear tires are still on the ground.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 10-07-2010 at 07:54 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
I'm a stupid C U N T!

remove the stock limiters on the shocks, add weight to the front wheels, and upgrade to the 12.3 link set and Hand Bros steering kit and a 14t pinion
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #6

I to am new to the Crawling side of RC. i have been into RC for 25 years mainly Drag cars. i got a Axial Trail Honcho the other day and did not like it at all. i also picked up a comp crawler and it does what i want it to. So the Honcho is going up on ebay tonite.
sohard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohard View Post
I to am new to the Crawling side of RC. i have been into RC for 25 years mainly Drag cars. i got a Axial Trail Honcho the other day and did not like it at all. i also picked up a comp crawler and it does what i want it to. So the Honcho is going up on ebay tonite.
The honcho's work well, Mine will pull insane lines, but like anything stock is lacking. Like above adding metal links and the CMS kit will greatly improve performance. but will never be a comp crawler. Take a look at the MSD scale nats Spec class vid, get you a good idea what a honcho is designed for

HERE!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

like said above, the stock electronics aren't the best. Just like anything related to this hobby any RTR is really basic. You really can't compare a honcho to an AX10 or any comp crawler. I have both and I love them both, Scalers are just meant for different terrain. If your budget allows I'd recommend to keep it and perhaps try to get a comp crawler so you can run it with your friend and be more on the same playing field. You could put some 2.2 wheels and tires on it also.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Like stated above, you are dealing with two different types of vehicles. Compare it to 1:1 rigs. Sure, you can take out a tube-buggy with a big block, 42's, D60s, Atlas, etc, etc, or you can go out in a ZJ with a 3" lift and 31's.

Yes, an AX10 is much more capable when it comes to negotiating terrain. The challenge in a scaler is overcoming the limitations of the vehicle and still making it work. Instead of using a dig, you use a pull pal and a winch. It all just really depends on what style you like. I built a pretty nice comp-style rig, but it lost its challenge, so now I've built a Honcho and I love it.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

My SCX-10 with a few mods and my AX-10 full comp rig....with dig.... will run almost the same lines through a course. I may need to back up a few times with the Honcho, but it will go. Then Again I have run both rigs back to back with the same score.. It all depends.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
My SCX-10 with a few mods and my AX-10 full comp rig....with dig.... will run almost the same lines through a course. I may need to back up a few times with the Honcho, but it will go. Then Again I have run both rigs back to back with the same score.. It all depends.

Same here. Once you dial in a Honcho, it does amazing things.
My favorite upgrade was switching to 2.2 tires/wheels. Now it runs 90%+ what my comp rig does...
Heres 4 FREE upgrades that will have the most impact on performance;
4-link the rear
Lower the battery tray for better COG
Add lead to each wheel ( I did 3 oz per wheel, all 4)
Drill a hole on the upper shock bracket (SEE PICTURE) to mount the shock lower for more height (looks weak but hey its FREE and it hasn't broken yet...)

Upsize to 2.2 wheels/tires - Not FREE but well worth it!

J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

the first time we had a large group together, we actually had a stock OG scx10 leading the comp crawlers around and it was doing pretty well...then again we arent hardcore compers... just depends on how you set it up.
ae racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Here's my nephews i helped him set up yea another honcho

Install tra2742 links to the bottom of the shocks to gain some ride height. Helps keep the linkage from hitting the frame when you remove the bump stops in the shocks like sugested. Make sure those shocks dont have too much oil in them and compress all the way. Also vent the rims.
After some tuning ditch the stock electronic's. Once i put my novak stuff in, it was like night and day!

Last edited by Cableman; 10-08-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I read alot about people sayin their Honcho or TR wont flex worth crap and I have to say BS! Either yall dont understand flex or you got a bum model. Heres my BONESTOCK TR flexin. This is literally seconds after I got it outta the box.

After this I took the bump stops outta the shocks and added some weight up front and a little out back, moved the battery to the front of the chassis and it would flex even better. Dont give up hope too soon, these things are crazy capable straight from Axial and they only get better as time goes and mods happen. Dont compare it to a 2.2 tired comp crawler, especially stock on 1.9s and dont worry bout the electronics bein goofy. slap a good BEC in it to power the servo and the glitching will stop! Best of luck with it!
Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

with a little work you can flex even more.

But I have to agree, the stock setup is very, very nice. I was shocked.
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
RCC Addict

With my stock SCX chassis, aftermarket electronics and 2.2 PL Hammers I was playing "follow the leader" with comp rigs and managed to hang with them 80-90% of the time. Not sure what the issue is or what your expectations of a trail rig are, though.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

@sincity. That's what I need right there. What did you mod for that. I added the 4 link rear and seemed to help a little. Upper and lower links just about touch at full compression so that's good. Going to look into longer shocks to get a little more droop. Added weights to front wheels and that was a big improvement I think upgrading to 2.2 wheels and tires will also help me out. I'm going to borrow a set from ax10 to try it out first also going to move battery to on top of sliders and mount electronics on battery holder. Add the bec the twitching electronics is terrible. Right as I get into a little tight spot, dies. Really annoying. Also cut the foam and got better contact patch Thanks guys and I'll post a picture of it flexing so you guys can see it and tell me if it looks right. I'm going to measure it so I know for sure flex

Update. Measured flex and it is 3 1/4 inches so its not bad. Can't remove shock bumpers, if they come out upper and lower links will hit each other under full compression but it's not to
Bad. I need to finish adding some weight and relocate batteries. Feeling better had some fun with it tonight with the lights

Last edited by Jeeper2007; 10-08-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Jeeper2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

You will love it once you get it all figured out. And then like alot of people will just dich the comp rigs and go all scale.

Jason
jhghah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I was aginst the scalers from the start....seems kinda wierd with all the dolls and winches, almost real stuff. When PL came out with the Cherokee body I had to have one......Now im into it....SinCity your XJ is sweet!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Just a thought, but if there is air in your shocks, they won't compress normally. It might be worth it to check them off the truck to see how they feel. If they compress and get harder, or rebound alot by themselves they need to be bled.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote