Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Alt. wheel weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Alt. wheel weights

Hey guys, been searching the forum for a couple of days for a post I once spotted. Someone mentioned using some kind of wire as a wheel weight, rather than 1:1 wheel weights or solder. Any idea what this is? I was thinking maybe baling wire?

I'd go with 1:1 wheel weights, but the Axial 1.9 wheels don't have that much of a groove in them and the weights just kind of sit on top. My hands are messed up enough that I can't get the tires around 'em.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #2

Default wheel weights

I did see someone mention using solder. You can get lead wire that toolmakers use for 'lead testing' dies. I am not certain it is actually lead, but it is soft and fairly dense so it may do the trick....don't know what it is called unfortunately, it might actually be cheap solder. Bailing wire might be a little too hard to wrap.

I used some lead bars I melted and poured in to a small mold I made, but I still had to shape them with a hammer because they expanded more than expected. Once shaped I put them in the groove and taped over them, it makes no difference to installing the tires. If you can get some of the clip on wheel weights, you might be able to melt them, but keep in mind lead it toxic so ventilation is very important and you need a container that can take the heat and won't be used for diner afterwards!!
rcwannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I'm working in a spare bedroom, carpet on the floor, etc. The wife would kill me.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Go to a fishing store or walmart and get 1/4 lead solid core downrigger line it comes in 5lbs spools and it's flexible just cut the length you want. I have 3 wraps on each tire with stock 1.9 axial wheels. Each rim weighs like 7 oz.
Tom_Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's amazing how much of my crawler stuff comes from Walmart, Home Depot or Michaels.

I can't stomach Michaels. Yeesh! That overwhelming cinnamon/apple smell when you walk in the door just make ya heave! Great place to find small chain, though.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #6
riz
Quarry Creeper

That's funny how you mention how bad it smells at the entrance of Michaels..... I just said the same thing to guys at work yesterday !

RIZ
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

It's kind of like a festive, crafty version of walking into a well used outhouse on a really hot day. Y'know? The door opens, there's the violent olfactory collision and you think twice about how badly your wife needs those cute little gift boxes that look like Chinese food containers.