Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 2 Battery Trays

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2 Battery Trays

Just got the scx10 kit for christmas. I 'm very impressed with how this thing wheels. It does not climb real well. I have battery mounted in the back. I could move it up front, but I was thinking about running 2 battery trays, and 2 batteries. I would mount one in the front and back. With the battery in the back it likes to flip over. What do you guys think?
V3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

With the battery in the back it wants to flip, but I still want one there? Do you really need to ask?
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking it would add weight to both front and back. I am new to this forum, no need to be rude.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

wow mudcat the kid has two posts and your smashin him down relax!
axialnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hey man just take the batt out of the back. It will work way better and not flip as much. If you want to add some weight to the rear add it to the spare tire if you have one. I have found that it helps cycle the rear suspension a little better with some weight out back. Also for a lower COG weight the wheels. This will also help a lot over the stock set-up.
LIFTED-ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It's an idea! That way you would get good even weight distribution. However, centre of gravity is the key. Get the truck as light as you can, and if you need to add weight, add it down low such as in the tyres or on the axle. Stick on weights to go on the wheels are very cheap and easy to source. My advice would be to try the battery in the front and see what you think.

If you had two batteries and wanted both of them plugged in you could get a parallel connector which would give you the same power but double the run time. As it's a crawler/scaler run time isn't a big issue.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking of traction for than run time. I think I will flop the batery and electronics box. See how thats works.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You really want the majority of the weight up front. If you feel you still need weight out back, just add some weight to your rear wheels with lead rope or stick on wheel weights (inside the wheels).
Welcome to the forum, BTW
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3500 View Post
Thanks for the replys. I was thinking of traction for than run time. I think I will flop the batery and electronics box. See how thats works.
Well I can definitely assure you that swapping the battery tray and the electronics will make a HUGE difference! I just finally got around to doing this on my SCX and the results were truly amaziing!
I have found that the weight up front makes traction on steep inclines much better. I would highly recommend adding weight to the wheels out back though just to keep it planted when youre wheeling on big cliffs and drop-offs... Like everybody else said, keep your center of gravity low and you'll be just fine.

Try it out with the battery up front and let me know how you like it.

BTW... Ive found that if you just get a decent size NiMh battery pack (4200+mAh) you should be able to get excellent run time without adding all that extra weight of another battery pack.. Just a thought.... I run a 4200mAh pack and ususally get a good 45-55 minutes of run time. If I use my 5000mAh pack, I can easily get an hour and 10 minutes out of it... It also makes a difference if youre using the stock 27T motor... higher turn motors will give you slightly better run time...

Good luck!

Last edited by 209SCXCRAWLER; 01-03-2011 at 05:53 PM.
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Hey guys, i havent got my scx10 yet but from reading all of these posts i am really glad to see this site has alot of support. i plan on getting mine soon to and when i do i will be posting frequently. good luck to you all
zackxj is offline   Reply With Quote