Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: starting my scx10 build tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default starting my scx10 build tonight

had a quick question as I prepare to start my build tonight. my first scaler but not first crawler or rc by any means.
so i got some lucas red n tacky #2 for grease. should I completly fill the axle housing with this to keep water out or 3/4 full or what? i was going to fill it in then wondered if it would be too much and cause strain on motor. I know it's a lubricant but its thick.

any help appreciated
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I have been thinking about the same thing myself. I was thinking about sealing the 2 axle halves together with some RTV, but of course water will still get in around the bearings. It might be enough to just pack some grease in behing the bearings to keep water from penetrating further, but I think filling the whole axle with grease would generate a lot of drag. Then again I am new to this so I am not sure, just sharing what I was thinking.
rod.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I filled both my axles completly with marinegrease.
and when I say completly, I mean 100% full
the excessive will be squeezed out when you put your diff in the axle.

the extra drag is minimal

just fill it up..
murky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
I filled both my axles completly with marinegrease.
and when I say completly, I mean 100% full
the excessive will be squeezed out when you put your diff in the axle.

the extra drag is minimal

just fill it up..
yeah I figured I would fill it up and see how it feels.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have seen people add Zerk-type fittings to make it ez to keep them filled thereafter....

I use the green waterproof bicycle grease called Phil Wood, but only enough to lube all the gears and bearings...Seems like no matter how much i used before, I still had to start over because of debris contamination...

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

zerks... that is funny. I guess that would work to keep it full. How much maintenance is required on these axles? I realize that it probably depends on how much you run them in water and mud, but generally how often do you have to clean and re-grease them?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

well filled both axles up and they are heavy. LOL at least it's low C.O.G weight. feels smooth but definetly some resistance. we'll see once build is complete. maybe they will break in and ease up
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You should start to see grease oozing out of the seem while wheeling from time to time...

Both my pumpkins wore through this last trip (I could see the gears inside turning!LOL). I might just have revolutionized a way to not only strengthen the pumpkin, but also make it last forever....and ever. I used a mixable plastic from smooth-on (task) that is mixed 1:1 and is tough as all hell. You can put it on as thick as you want and when it dries you can file and sand it to whatever shape and thickness you want (can be clearance issues if too thick)... Now to figure out how to make them so you can snap them on and off!!!!

Next time Ill buy a black dye for the plastic because Task comes in White and some other funky color....Pictures later! I have to find my cord.....Its hilarious!!!

I saw a guy use a different plastic called shape-lock to make a crab robot shell..I am thinking that might be too soft, but i have never used it... Could be perfect?

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

thanks for help so far guys.
I need some advice now.
Is everyone running full size 2s lipos or what in these. I had planned on running a small crawler type 3s lipo but now starting to wonder about just using some 2s lipos I have already.
are the normal sized 2s type packs (like I run in my blitz ese) too big and bulky.
some upgrades I am thinking of already are
aluminum front steering knuckles and driveshafts.
Do the standard scx10 junfac,mip or integy driveshafts fir the honcho kit. not sure if it's too long wheelbase or not to use up standard scx10 or ax10 driveshafts.
sorry just trying to get a feeler for what parts are interchangable between this truck and ax10 and or standard scx10.

thanks guys
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

so I got the basic build done - electronics and whatnot.
I filled axles full of lucas oil red n tacky #2 to help keep out the water
it does feel like allot of drag from this. should I be concerned with this burning up my motor.
I am undecided yet if Im going with a 45t or 35t.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Sounds like you and I are at about the same place. I filled mine with marine grease, and it was also very stiff. I ended up running them connected to my electric drill for a while. They got warm, and also some of the excess grease walked its way out along the pinion and axle shafts. They seem much better now. I think I just packed it a bit too tight
Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
Sounds like you and I are at about the same place. I filled mine with marine grease, and it was also very stiff. I ended up running them connected to my electric drill for a while. They got warm, and also some of the excess grease walked its way out along the pinion and axle shafts. They seem much better now. I think I just packed it a bit too tight
what motor you running and does it get super hot.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I don't have my motor yet, but I will probably run my velineon 3500 and vxl-3s from my traxxas slash 4x4 in it for a while to play around, until I can save some money for the motor and esc. Right now I am also trying to decide between a tekin fx-r and 35t pro, or a holmes hobbies torque master br-xl and then new 540 that he is developing.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

i was in almost exact electronics decision but have decided to go with holmes hobbies esc to support the man who supports this section of the hobby. also the torquemaster in waterproof edition sounds perfect.
was planning on just going with the sport motor he offers since it's gonna see rough conditions. much easier on my wallet and it comes with bearings.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

which motor are you talking about? yes I am leaning that direction (holmes) as well. He seems genuinely involved in the hobby and as far as I can tell makes a great product.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
which motor are you talking about? yes I am leaning that direction (holmes) as well. He seems genuinely involved in the hobby and as far as I can tell makes a great product.
this motorhttp://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1