Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First Real Trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First Real Trip

Just thought I would share some pics. This truck is awesome. Any one have any cleaning tips?

Last edited by V3500; 01-05-2011 at 06:46 PM.
V3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Mine is water proof and i just take the boy off and the battery and take the shower head to it works for me
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You are probably gonna laugh at this but Im gonna run traxxas waterproof electronics on mine when I build it then I'm gonna wash it off with a hose and then stick it in the dishwasher like I do with my Slash 4x4, it works great I then dry it with compressed air and reoil the bearings.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

After you clean it spray it all down with WD-40, it makes it look brand new and oils everything.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Having waterproof electronics really helps with cleaning, but if you don't have waterproof electronics then you will either need to put them in a plastic bag or balloon or remove them if possible. Remove the wheels and tyres. Clean these under the tap using a fairly stiff brush to get all the mud out of the tread and leve to dry (make sure any vent holes in the wheels are sealed!). Depending on the size of the truck I either clean mine in the sink or using a hose on very low pressure just with a soft brush to remove any stubborn dirt.

Showerhead method sounds fine providing whoever you live with doesn't mind dirty trucks in the house, but I would never use a dishwasher because they use salt!!! Why would you want your truck washed in salty water?? I know you spray it with WD40 but unless the trans and diff are completely sealed, you will still get salty water in your axles and trans.

After you've washed you truck down the most important thing to do is remove all water unless you want to find rust next time you use it. Use either GT85 or WD40 especially around screws, bolts, bearings and anything steel and then leave it in a warm dry place to completely dry out. Bear in mind that the axle casings have gaps and holes in them so if you wash your truck regularly it's probably a good idea to open the axles up and fill them with grease.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
eemmaaxxxx: Showerhead method sounds fine providing whoever you live with doesn't mind dirty trucks in the house
Im only 16 so I still live with my parents and they don't care cause my dad does the same thing
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I dont know anything about salt in a dishwasher but I do know that I've been washing all sorts of things in the dishwasher that you wouldnt think about washing and Ive yet to ruin anything and Ive been washing my Slash in there for about six months. The key is to reoil and make sure it gets dried out good I use compressed air.

Last edited by kincer; 01-06-2011 at 06:31 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Wow, I think I will stay away from the mud. Iy took a couple of hours to clean it up. Thanks for the replys.
V3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure about the U.K., but on my side of the pond my dishwasher uses the regular tap water that we use for drinking, bathing and cooking- there's no salt in it!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah Ive never heard of salt in a dishwasher maybe its different in the UK all I know is that here in the states it works great and I no longer shy away from mud because cleanup is a breeze!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Maybe they are different

Dishwashers do use normal tap water to run, but in the bottom of the dishwasher is a big white cap, and you fill that with dishwasher salt which is used during cleaning. I don't know how much salt is used per wash but we usually have to re-fill the salt every month or 6 weeks.

Anywho, Happy Dishwashing and lets get back to crawlers
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

They must be different because I dont have to add salt anytime lol, its interesting how in other parts of the world things are done in different ways, I guess you learn something new everyday. Back to the crawling!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
On the lookout for Rocks

Just did a Google search. Apparently some dishwashers do have an option to add salt. Seems to be for softening the water.

Sorry to hijack.....carry on.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote