Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: hand bros batt size and brushless motor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Default hand bros batt size and brushless motor question

ok so i just picked up the scx kit and i'm gathering parts i just ordered my spektrum DX5e and a hand bros kit i'm just curious what size or # of cell lipos are you guys running when you have the batt up front next to the servo??? and if your brushless what kind of runtime are you getting?

next i'm looking at the Novak Goat Crawler Sintered Brushless System 18.5 but im worried about it being to slow i plan on crawling just not on the trail ride to get there. i plan on general bsin around and having a good time with it but also crawling it nice and slow. any help here is greatly appriceated i'm still trying to figure some of this stuff out turns and cells and why are there so many damn numbers?? AAAHHH!!!!!!
curleysrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I just put in a 21.5 and it's just right slow control anda little extra wheel speed on a 2cell lipo
Tom_Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You have a lot more flexibility with a MMP or RS, goat's limit what motors you run and what adjustments you have. The big issue is having to use thier crawler motors, the silver ones can't have the sensor harness replaced and those little wires break easy. The black motors are rough and slow and tend to melt a lot around here. If you put a small rotor in a black can it would be decent, but still your better off with the MMP and any normal motor.

That said I run the silver 13.5 in my honcho, on 2s it's way smoother and has more torque than a 27t with extra speed to boot. A little more speed and same power as a 35t on 3s. With a 3s pack power and speed are off the hook, stupid strong and fast, low speed startup is still smooth, but quite fast. The silver 18.5 on 2s is about the same as a 45t on 3s and has better startup than the 13.5 when on 3s.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
You have a lot more flexibility with a MMP or RS, goat's limit what motors you run and what adjustments you have. The big issue is having to use thier crawler motors, the silver ones can't have the sensor harness replaced and those little wires break easy. The black motors are rough and slow and tend to melt a lot around here. If you put a small rotor in a black can it would be decent, but still your better off with the MMP and any normal motor.

That said I run the silver 13.5 in my honcho, on 2s it's way smoother and has more torque than a 27t with extra speed to boot. A little more speed and same power as a 35t on 3s. With a 3s pack power and speed are off the hook, stupid strong and fast, low speed startup is still smooth, but quite fast. The silver 18.5 on 2s is about the same as a 45t on 3s and has better startup than the 13.5 when on 3s.
Ok I'm sorry I'm a noon to almost all of this could you please explane some of your abbreviations, mmp and rs? Thank you
Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

MMP is the Castle Mamba Max Pro and RS is Tekin's brushless ESC. Both can be programmed by computer and the castle can take 6s, vs the Tekin has a very small size and 3s limit. Both can use any sensored (or non) brushless motor on the market.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Got ya so the momba is prob the better buy for me vs. the novak. Is the momba water proof or at least resistant? Again thank you for all the help
Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by curleysrc View Post
got ya so the momba is prob the better buy for me vs. The novak. Is the momba water proof or at least resistant? Again thank you for all the help
nope if you want waterproof look into holmes hobbies torquemaster esc. but they are out of stock until next week or whenever he gets em in
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You'll have to waterproof yourself, my Goat never withstood more than a splash until I waterproofed it myself. Dry boxes work great for this.

To give a little better idea of the speed of 13.5 motors, thier 3300kv vs the vxl 3500kv. So it's within a smidge of VXL speed with dragbrake, instant reverse and much smoother startup.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 01-07-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:
ok so i just picked up the scx kit and i'm gathering parts i just ordered my spektrum DX5e and a hand bros kit i'm just curious what size or # of cell lipos are you guys running when you have the batt up front next to the servo??? and if your brushless what kind of runtime are you getting?

next i'm looking at the Novak Goat Crawler Sintered Brushless System 18.5 but im worried about it being to slow i plan on crawling just not on the trail ride to get there. i plan on general bsin around and having a good time with it but also crawling it nice and slow. any help here is greatly appriceated i'm still trying to figure some of this stuff out turns and cells and why are there so many damn numbers?? AAAHHH!!!!!!
I'm running these ...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6306

and a 45t brushed motor.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
nope if you want waterproof look into holmes hobbies torquemaster esc. but they are out of stock until next week or whenever he gets em in
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1
i want to be brushless is there a waterproof brushless esc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
You'll have to waterproof yourself, my Goat never withstood more than a splash until I waterproofed it myself. Dry boxes work great for this.
To give a little better idea of the speed of 13.5 motors, thier 3300kv vs the vxl 3500kv. So it's within a smidge of VXL speed with dragbrake, instant reverse and much smoother startup.
im guessing theres a thread on this someware prob plasti dip or put in a dry box and silicone the snot outta it.

so go with maybe this then???
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov3034.htm or
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov3035.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
I'm running these ...
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6306

and a 45t brushed motor.
man those seem cheep whats a ruff run time on those??? and could i get a pic of them mounted in your truck???

as always thank you all
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I have a Mamba Max Pro listed in the for sale section if you decide you want to go that route...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287623
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Those Havoc systems are what goat's turn into without a crawler motor (no drag brake or instant reverse) and have the sensor harness that breaks.
These are the Novak motors I would recommend, they won't work with a Goat though, you'll need the MMP or RS.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov3613.htm
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/nov3617.htm
Any other brand motor will work fine with the MMP or RS also. If you must get a combo get the 3s goat 18.5 and the 12.3mm rotor seperate for it or the Tekin RS 17.5 combo. The small rotor makes the motor twice as fast (or the same as any other equal wind motor) with smoother low end.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Quote:

man those seem cheep whats a ruff run time on those??? and could i get a pic of them mounted in your truck???
I'll take one tomorrow and post it in my build thread.

Run time is going to vary on your motor, spur, vehicle weight and throttle finger.

My rig is heavy as crap, I love wheel speed & we typically run 15 -30 gate courses ... I've never run out of battery on course using the 2200s. Next time I go out for some play wheeling I'll try to clock it for you.

The batteries are inexpensive but the shipping is where they get you. It's either slow as hell (like slow boat) or you pay $25. I always order the batteries in bulk and split the expensive shipping with others. that way I get my stuff in about a week.

BTW, I have had zero puffers out of probably 40 packs from them using my Hyperion charger/balancer exclusively.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked Up View Post
I'll take one tomorrow and post it in my build thread.

Run time is going to vary on your motor, spur, vehicle weight and throttle finger.

My rig is heavy as crap, I love wheel speed & we typically run 15 -30 gate courses ... I've never run out of battery on course using the 2200s. Next time I go out for some play wheeling I'll try to clock it for you.

The batteries are inexpensive but the shipping is where they get you. It's either slow as hell (like slow boat) or you pay $25. I always order the batteries in bulk and split the expensive shipping with others. that way I get my stuff in about a week.

BTW, I have had zero puffers out of probably 40 packs from them using my Hyperion charger/balancer exclusively.

i checked your build thread thats a realy nice H2 you got there i also saw your batt location so i see how it would fit with the hand bros unit my question is with your electronics on top of it how do you change out your batt???

thats deff good to hear about no puffs and i can wait for shipping i just got my kit 2 nights ago and wont be building it for prob 2-3 weeks due to a cross country road trip till then im deciding on what i want to run, preventive prebuild up grades, and stock pileing parts.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I have the 8.5t ballistic with the 14mm rotor. Runs real smooth with good wheel speed on 2s stupid on 3s. You guys running the 14mm rotor have slow speed problems? I am thinking about getting a new stator so 3s isnt so fast, just not sure which one yet!
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I feel the low speed is smoother with the 12.3mm's than the 14mm's, I would like to try a 13mm to break the difference and see if it gets the extra drag without much harm to smoothness (or loss of speed). I've also only swapped rotors in 18.5's, faster motor's might act different also.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

battery?
i run 6cell nimhs
they sit right ontop of the hand bro steering kit

im running a torquemaster brxl and a 45t tekin

not the best pic but

mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
battery?
i run 6cell nimhs
they sit right ontop of the hand bro steering kit

im running a torquemaster brxl and a 45t tekin

not the best pic but

i guess all your electronics are under your batt???