Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Honcho steering linkages

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Honcho steering linkages

I think I may have mounted the wheel carriers on the wrong side, even though I tried to pay close attention to how the manual said to do it. When I compress my front suspension all the way, the frame hits the steering linkages, specifically the one that connects to the servo. From the looks of it, I think if I swapped the wheel carriers to the opposite side, it would lower those links to about the centerline of the front diff/axle. Is that right? I tried to look at some pictures in the sticky thread but it is hard to tell for sure if mine is wrong. It compresses almost all the way, but not quite. Thanks
rod.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Something doesn't sound quite right.

The steering linkages should be at the front of the truck. Maybe you have them behind the axle? Can you post a picture?

Like this:

Last edited by eemmaaxxxx; 01-07-2011 at 05:02 PM.
eemmaaxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Have you put the bump stop in the front shock? If you don't, the steering link will hit the frame when full compress. I used to have that problem too.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. Yeah I have the bump stops installed. Not sure if you can tell from these pics, but here goes. Note that this first one, I actually used one of the bent ends to put the connection to the servo BEHIND the servo arm. This is with the suspension fully compressed, notice that it hits the frame.

From

And then in this one you can hopefully see straight on that the linkages sit a little above centerline. I think if I swapped the right one to the left that it would bring it more in the center of the diff, but I am not sure:

From Drop Box
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah I have the bump stops installed. Not sure if you can tell from these pics, but here goes. Note that this first one, I actually used one of the bent ends to put the connection to the servo BEHIND the servo arm. This is with the suspension fully compressed, notice that it hits the frame.

From

And then in this one you can hopefully see straight on that the linkages sit a little above centerline. I think if I swapped the right one to the left that it would bring it more in the center of the diff, but I am not sure:

From Drop Box
Did you buy high steer spindles? If so that would be why its hitting the frame if they are not high steer than flipping them to the other side wouldnt help you
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

No these are stock.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

One more question when you just flex one side do the links still hit?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well, not really. I can get it most of the way down on just one side. It is not a huge deal, I am maybe hitting withing 1/4 inch or so of full compression when pushing down both sides. I am just trying to figure out if the links are supposed to be more in the center of the diff or not I guess. I might just need to try and see what it looks like.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yeah, it looks like you need to swap the wheel carriers around I will post pics of mine with the wheel off so you could see the angle of the spindle when I get home later .
Hondatouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

well if they dont hit when each side flexes then I really wouldnt consider it a problem seeing as to how you will probably never get full compression out of both front shocks at the same time unless your jumping it but like the other guy said look at your knuckles that your spindles attach to alot of them have an offset to correct the caster on the axle those could be on wrong
Old 01-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I don't think I could have screwed that up though, right? These are all stock, out of the box parts. The only thing that I can think of that I might have done wrong is mounted the wheel carrier on the wrong side. The manual shows the "correct" way to mount them, but it is not completely obvious to me. Should it hit when I push the front end all the way down? It doesn't go to the bump stops on the shocks, the frame hits the linkages before it gets all the way compressed. I understand that I will probably not see it compress both sides fully at the same time as was mentioned, I am just trying to figure out if I put them on the wrong side . Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Hope these help

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
I am just trying to figure out if I put them on the wrong side . Thanks
You are A OK Amigo, they all do that. no prob. what so ever with mine right outta the box and driving hard with a few mods no issues yet
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Perfect! Thanks guys. Hondatouring- mine looks just like that. Thanks for taking the time to post pics. It just didn't seem right to me, but it must be okay. Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

No problem
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I just built a honcho kit and mine actually hits the top of the servo horn on the frame cross piece. I triple checked everything and im sure its built right, but it is only when you bottom it on both sides. shouldn't be a big deal. i havent done any driving yet, as im still painting and finishing, but if i have to i'll dremel out some of the cross rail and problem solved. btw i skipped the shock bumpers to get some extra travel, per others advise. I figured thats why mine hit but maybe not?
ba450crf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Mine does that too, I thought it might be because the servo I am using has a longer top, so it sticks out more, but I don't know. Mine hits even with the shock dampeners. One thing I did to help with this particular problem was to use one of the bent ball ends to put the link from the servo actually behind the servo arm. You can kind of see it in my first picture. It just barely clears the differential housing with that setup, but it doesn't touch the crossbar anymore. Of course now the frame bottoms out on the linkages... Oh well. It probably isn't a big deal, thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #18

i had the same problem with my honcho. just shave the cross bar down a little and it will be ok
DemonDancer is offline   Reply With Quote