Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Need feedback on my SCX10 part list before I pull the trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #1

Default Need feedback on my SCX10 part list before I pull the trigger

Hello, I'm getting an SCX10, which will be my first crawler, initially I was going to get the RTR version because I could get all the electronics for a low price (I know, they are cheap but it would get me started) however I couldn't get over the fact that I wouldn't get to build the thing which is half the fun IMO, so I've decided to spend some more $$$ and get a kit along with somo decent but not too expensive electronics.

Here's what I'm, planning to get:

-Trail Honcho or Old Pick Up Truck kit: the old truck I can get for 234$ and the honcho goes for 279, over 40$ difference, do you think it's worth the extra $$$? as far as I can tell, other than the body, the only difference is that the honcho comes with the bumper and the rollcage.

Now the electronics, which is where I have the most doubts:
-Tekin FXR ESC Crawler Combo 35T Motor.
-Hitec HS-645MG servo.
-Spektrum DX3E radio/reciever kit.
-DuraTrax Piranha 6-Cell, 1900mAh (I already have these).

Are the electronics a good choice? are they all compatible?

Well, that's it for now, I would appreciate any aditional information you can provide as well .
JACZOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I think youre gonna want to go with a bigger and better battery pack... 1900mAh wont get you far. Other than that it looks like a great set-up to get you started.
the Spektrum DX3E is an awesome radio system. HiTec 645 is a great servo (although I run the Hobbico CS-170).
Good luck with your project and post pics when u get it going!
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Ya thats a good start. Go with the Honcho Kit.

Last edited by motur; 01-08-2011 at 10:15 AM.
motur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

My son got the scx10 kit and I got the honcho kit for christmas the scx10 is shorter but just links will fix that,the honcho comes with the rock rails for the side if your wanting them but are plastic the honcho also comes with a functional spare and as you said the extra light buckets and such oh yea the honcho came with all hex hardware the scx10 was phillips head.
I like both trucks so I am not partial to either I would say buy what you like, as far as electronics I run a rooster crawler system w/55 t and a 2 cell lipo with a dx3s radio and it is smooth as far as im conserned ,the only thing my kids truck has different is the radio he runs a traxxas 2.4 seems ok also.
slow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

If you are open to buying online... RPPhobby.com has the Honcho kit for $229.99 http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90014.htm

The Tekin FXR system is pretty highly recommended.

I would spend a little bit more, and get the Hitec 5645mg servo. Its digital, and supposed to be "waterproof".

I would also definitely plan on getting bigger/better batteries at some point, but what you have will get you started.
Subarutex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

I just read that the Honcho kit comes with extra links to shorten the wheelbase, is this true?
JACZOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACZOR View Post
I just read that the Honcho kit comes with extra links to shorten the wheelbase, is this true?
My honcho kit came with only 1 set of metal links. If you want to change wheelbase u can simply buy some new links and use rod ends that come with kit. They give u extra rod ends but no different size links.
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209SCXCRAWLER View Post
I think youre gonna want to go with a bigger and better battery pack... 1900mAh wont get you far.
Not to be argumentative, but I've driven my SCX10 with an old LRP speedo and a 55t integy motor for over an hour, and the battery only took 700mah. Granted, that's a 2 cell 5000mah lipo, but 1900mah should be plenty to have some fun with.
ThunderbirdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:19 PM   #9

does any one know if the stock scx10 honcho servo is waterproof?
CrawleR ModdeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarutex View Post
If you are open to buying online... RPPhobby.com has the Honcho kit for $229.99
I bought my son the Kit and we both agree that it was the way to go.

Superior hobbies has the DX3.0 listed on sale for $99 http://www.superiorhobbies.com/

Last edited by drdmsmith; 01-08-2011 at 06:07 PM.
drdmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawleR ModdeR View Post
does any one know if the stock scx10 honcho servo is waterproof?
i dont think so. i think the servo is water resistant, not water proof. i just got done water proofing mine. the esc, rx box, servo, and led's...

Last edited by rik; 01-08-2011 at 08:06 PM.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I bought the RTR version. And it works great. Water proofed everything. Ive taken it threw mud and water and everything else. My honcho come with some extra parts. Come with steering links, rods, stuff to make some more lights(which have come in handy) and other stuff you might need on the trails
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I have a castle creations sidewinder esc with an integy 35t motor and i get crazy wheel speed. i can make it up the hill climb at our local course which is pretty steep. only a few make it up. I have a 7.4 NiMh 5000mah battery. I really think the castle creations esc's are the way to go IMO. i also got the truck kit and I LOVE IT!!! I am now looking to upgrade the shocks though to get some more articulation. Plus I heard that it is a must to get steel drive shafts. I still need to purchase some for my rig. sorry for going on and on I am just tired. Have fun and good luck with the build. it is a lot of FUN!!
slammin1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Regarding the servo I would recommend the traxxas 2075 as it us very good and best of all it is COMPLETELY waterproof. If you plan on running it water the that will be one less thing to worry about.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote