Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Having electronics problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Having electronics problem

Just put in all of the electronics I ordered (besides my BEC which could be the issue) and my truck is FREAKING out. I try to apply forward or reverse throttle and it jolts maybe an 1" forward then 3/4" back then an 1" forward then 3/4" back etc. Same results when I apply reverse throttle. Now I'm going to tell you what I did to get it to work because I was in a bit of a hurry. So I didn't have any deans lying around so I just soldered a new tamiya male on there for temporary use. Then used my radioshack 3300 Nimh with tamiya female. Could this be an issue? Could me using a tamiya instead of a deans ultra really be what is affecting the behavior of the truck?

The beeping from the ESC starts high pitched but over about the course of 1/2 a second the beeping gets low-pitched and then the truck does it's behavior as stated above. If I did something wrong by using the tamiya plugs and radioshack battery go ahead and say. I'd like to crawl with it tomorrow but I'd much rather it work 100%.

Sidewinder ESC - tamiya male connection
Tekin 45T - has the motor wires from the stock 27T
Spektrum DX3E w/sr300 - successful bind because the servo works

If I did this with blasphemy work then flame away.
LittleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post
Just put in all of the electronics I ordered (besides my BEC which could be the issue) and my truck is FREAKING out. I try to apply forward or reverse throttle and it jolts maybe an 1" forward then 3/4" back then an 1" forward then 3/4" back etc. Same results when I apply reverse throttle. Now I'm going to tell you what I did to get it to work because I was in a bit of a hurry. So I didn't have any deans lying around so I just soldered a new tamiya male on there for temporary use. Then used my radioshack 3300 Nimh with tamiya female. Could this be an issue? Could me using a tamiya instead of a deans ultra really be what is affecting the behavior of the truck?

The beeping from the ESC starts high pitched but over about the course of 1/2 a second the beeping gets low-pitched and then the truck does it's behavior as stated above. If I did something wrong by using the tamiya plugs and radioshack battery go ahead and say. I'd like to crawl with it tomorrow but I'd much rather it work 100%.

Sidewinder ESC - tamiya male connection
Tekin 45T - has the motor wires from the stock 27T
Spektrum DX3E w/sr300 - successful bind because the servo works

If I did this with blasphemy work then flame away.

would also like to add now that i put the truck down on the floor and try it, it jolts in the opposite direction then it should. meaning when i punch it to go forward it jolts back and forth but is actually moving backwards i didnt notice before because i had the bumper off and was just holding it in the air with my hand. i can film a small clip of what its doing if it will make this easier to see what im talking about.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
'08 2.2 National Champ

My best suggestion without seeing it is pull everything out and start over with a new install. Also make sure that no wires are touching the chassis and nothing is shorting out. I doubt it's the Tamiya plugs unless they are shorted somehow.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

post pics of wiring
Wasp26Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp26Jim View Post
post pics of wiring
will do. let me grab my camera and take a few.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

alright here are a few.

the order of the photos are from the rear to the front

if your wondering about the (nasty) exposed section of wire to the battery terminals they were routed away from each other. i didnt have any shrink tube as this is a temporary thing until all of my deans come in the mail.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

also...i was under the impression that you could use the castle link on the sidewinder? there is no port for the plugin like my mamba max had. any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Here are my thoughts. I am not sure but I think the Sidewinder comes pre-programed for a brush less motor. This would give you the jerky motor problem. Now I could be wrong, but it is a place to start.

The Castle link does work with the Sidewinder, but it needs another adapter to work. It plugs into the RX wire on the ESC and then to the Castle Link. I hope that makes sense. I can get you picture if that would help.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

ok i understand. and your right i believe. so i would have to order a newer style of castle link?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

is this what im looking for?
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/castle-c...b20b130be4a9e3
Old 01-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Yes. That little adapter on the USB cord is what you are looking for.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDave View Post

Yes, that is what you need....I have the Sidewinder and use the castle link all the time. The package you buy will come with everything you need to plug the ESC into the computer! It will also make your drag brake finally work (if you have an older version of the firmware)..

I agree with the earlier poster: You most likely have the incorrect settings programed into the ESC.

GL

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

im pretty sure thats the issue. i went ahead and plugged in the stock esc and the truck is smooth as butter. i really appreciate the help and concern a bunch. ima have to wait to buy the castle link though so the sidewinder can wait. but thats also good because now i can wait for the right connectors to get in lol!