Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: "Red Solo SCX10 Build"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

Default "Red Solo SCX10 Build"

Hey all been hitting these forums up for a couple weeks and decided to join cause i would love to know more about scx10's and general rc tech...

Some background I have been looking into getting a crawler for like two years cause I love building Jeeps and offroading...my current Jeep:

1999 Cherokee SE/Sport 4.5" long arms, 35's, etc etc etc. with my custom half doors...

Well a while back a buddy of mine got into it as well cause we had a wheeling buddy whom had one so he bought a built SCX10 off someone and got a great deal so I decided i wanted in as well so I bought a brand new rtr honcho cause the hobby store was sold out of the jk rubicon...
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: "Red Solo SCX10 Build"

Welcome to the addiction! You will find a plethora or information flying around here!
corey900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #3

My buddy and I attend a weekly scale crawler comp. at R/C Madness in Enfield, CT which is a great group of people that welcome newcomers and do anything to spread the hobby...my first mods to my honcho were to ditch the body so my buddy and i painted up my cherokee body (which was in my basement for over a year as an intended starting point...lol) and i traded him the honcho body for some beadlock wheels that were weighted with car weights and we painted them up:

my buddies Comanche:
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

hey man! lol I just got my scx10! still love your jeep.

cherokeeforum/naxja- 98REDXJ2

FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Well here's my cherokee as of now:

Weighted beadlocks custom painted, flat iron 1.9's, cut off shock bumpstops, bent up rock sliders, lowered battery tray to keep weight lower, proline roof rack, honcho front bumper just modified it a bit, hi-lift mounted to cowl, and thats it as of now waiting for some parts and such to make it more scale

This is my buddies Commanche and mine when i first got the body mounted up:

and some pics of me scaling in the first comp i entered:

Got my new rear bumper in today!!!

Tough Armor rear tire carrier for SCX10 Cherokee from RC4WD love it

....AND my new 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beasts in from RPP Hobby and they are awesome haven't tested yet but from what i have seen from them on a buddies rig they are awesome...

ohh yeah i realize now my rear shocks are mounted a tiny bit lower so now to fix it...ooops

Last edited by THX_138; 04-28-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

looking good! I wish it was warmer out. it would be nice to drive in some dirt instead of all the snow.
FATALLYILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

These look great guys. HAve you thought about doing more detail in the painting process to improve the scale look?
Grips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Any reviews on the pitbulls yet?
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

What is your wheelbase at on your crawler? I'm building a Dingo and want to put that body on it.

More info on the 1:1? Looks like a nice rig too.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
These look great guys. HAve you thought about doing more detail in the painting process to improve the scale look?

its winter right now and my garage is cold in the spring i prolly will

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJrob View Post
Any reviews on the pitbulls yet?

i will be testing them on the scale course tonight hopefully and will deffinately have a review they better work for the price...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
What is your wheelbase at on your crawler? I'm building a Dingo and want to put that body on it.

More info on the 1:1? Looks like a nice rig too.
i am at a honcho stock wheelbase this started life as a honcho

and my 1:1 is a 1999 Cherokee with 4.5" long arm suspension bumpstopped and tweaked to run 35's, started as an auto swapped it to manual, has a rear disc conversion and a rear locker, has a t-case out of a TJ Rubicon with a 4:1 lowrange, has manual windows, couple performance mods and armor in the important spots...its a dd rock crawler and as of right now its sporting some 33" a/ts for winter...

well my review on the Pitbull RockBeast 1.9's is due and all I can say is I love these tires i did some running with them on our comp course and they performed great...

didn't do so great on my comp on sunday had changed a couple things about my truck and didn't like it to much...i changed the tires which are great but in doing so removed all the weight i had in there which i didn't like i also added the level3 lift to clear the tires and i didn't like that either...and right after my comp the motor decided to quit...

now for the positive lol...bought a stock brand new motor for $5 got that installed, removed the lift kit and cut off the stock cherokee fender flares, re-painting rims and adding some weight to front rims, and also 4-linking the front...

also i have a set of overdrive gears for the front coming in due to my searching on here reading about them but i am gonna wait to install them until i can buy some proper grease...

Last edited by THX_138; 04-28-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I see you live in western ma where do you go to comp I also live in western ma a bit north of you. And would love to find some place to play with all the snow outside.
mygolfisslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Spray your side and back windows with some tamiya smoke, about 5-6 very light coats, hair dryed in between. It's looking good but I really think the tint will help unless you plan on getting an interior soon It'll really make the red pop!
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygolfisslow View Post
I see you live in western ma where do you go to comp I also live in western ma a bit north of you. And would love to find some place to play with all the snow outside.
at rc madness in enfield theres scale comp every sunday 1.9 and 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fire View Post
Spray your side and back windows with some tamiya smoke, about 5-6 very light coats, hair dryed in between. It's looking good but I really think the tint will help unless you plan on getting an interior soon It'll really make the red pop!
spray the inside or outside and would you tape off the windows?

well i am slowly building this and was browsing ebay and found some hot racing overdrive gears for the front which i took the liberty of installing today was to into it to take more pics:

but other than that i got a lot of plans and got some more goodies on the way...also noob question i was testing my gears and noticed my stock axial turns harder to the left than to the right whats up with that?

Last edited by THX_138; 04-28-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
at rc madness in enfield theres scale comp every sunday 1.9 and 2.2
What time do they start I work till 5 on Sundays but would love to come down.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygolfisslow View Post
What time do they start I work till 5 on Sundays but would love to come down.
its in the morning we start about 11
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

(better a bit late than never ) Welcome to here,my friend,it's a good place from what I've seen in my own short time. LOVING your Cherokee build!
The DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Love the rig bro
joshjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #18

heres a vid made by rctruckstop as he occasionally stops by and joins in our weekly comps and this one has my cherokee featured in it...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I'm considering cutting out my flares on my comanche body also since input my pitbulls on
XJrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Sweet video. I'm gunna try to make it down this Sunday.

"Red Solo SCX10 Build" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Extended Trailer Spidernad Scale Videos! 7 04-22-2014 07:08 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10 - Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Full Video Spidernad Scale Videos! 4 11-12-2012 11:23 AM
SCX10 "OL RED" Chevy rc_dirtslinger 1.5 Scale Rigs 12 05-13-2010 10:01 AM
Sinistir "Red Devil 3" time laspe build red devils Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 01-26-2008 06:47 PM
Solo at "Oak Point" Folsom lake. mike93 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 03-05-2007 08:50 PM