Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My Axial build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Default My Axial build

I'm a newbie here, but not new to off-road travel. We've owned 3 Land Cruisers and ih8mud.com is the forum I usually find myself addicted to!! As a matter of fact, I believe Woody, (the founder of ih8mud is a member here!) Now I can add rccrawler to my nightly forum check!

So, I purchased my first RC the day before New Year's Eve and spent the weekend building it. I would like to thank the awesome crew at Hobbytown in Folsom, Ca. for answering all my questions and helping me choose the Axial SCX-10 for my build.

I chose the color as it was the same color as one of our old Toyota 4X4's. It's all stock for now, the only "mod" I've done is to remove the shock dampeners! I already have a Tacoma grille on order as well as some other necessary "trail/camping" necessities, and I'm looking forward to adding lighting and fabricating my own bungee cords thanks to a "how-to" thread I read on this forum!
Attached Images

Last edited by offroadkid; 01-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
offroadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks good!!

Gotta keep the pictures comin!!
th67ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Thanks guys! Yea, about the pictures, I planned to take them as I started, during and the finish, but it became a marathon build and not many pictures were taken!!

My next set of pics should be on rocks, not the countertop!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the hobby and to the forum! You probably already know this, but there's a thread in the California section pertaining to your area if you want to "hook-up" with other wheelers in the area. Looks like your backyard is Folsom Lake, so you wont have any trouble finding places to go!!!

I used to live in El Dorado Hills and might be coming that way in a month or so once again. You might just see me around one of the many killer spots that the area has to offer.

Peace and happy wheeling,

C H
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies! It's been a while since I posted this so after the build, it needed some personal touches. I ordered a Tacoma grille, some camping/trail accessories and whipped-up a batch of homemade bungee cords that were both easy and fun to make! I wrapped each wheel with 3 oz. of tape wheel weights and it seems to drive fine.

I installed the Axial 6 led kit with 4 white and 2 red. I moved the tail lights from the inside of the frame to the outside with the provided light buckets for a more realistic look and also added some rock crawling lights in front!

I have the fake winch for now, but would like a working one which means I will have to upgrade to a 3 ch radio I think? I also like the look of the Hands Bros steering kit. I also keep looking at the Aoshima FJ40 bodied SCX's and wish I would have bought one as there was a member from Japan on ih8mud.com selling them, (the original rc FJ40) a while back when they first came out. DOH!! I keep looking on eBay but nothing yet.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

cut a notch out of your alum. plate that goes in your bumper so it still fits with your winch fairlead there
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
cut a notch out of your alum. plate that goes in your bumper so it still fits with your winch fairlead there
;) I took it to work and was going to take the die-grinder to it, but just haven't yet!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 AM   #8

looks good what elec tronics are u runnin
trail king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail king View Post
looks good what elec tronics are u runnin
Thanks! The electrics are nothing special as I got a Futaba kit that includes the radio, receiver, servo and ESC all in one box. The motor is a Integy Matrix Pro Lathe.

I'm still new to this hobby and so as I go I know I will find the disadvantages of having "just good" electrics. The ones I have work, but I would like to learn what's better and why. I did see the new Axial ESC with drag brake yesterday and if I'm correct, this will keep me from rolling forward/backward while on the rocks?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thats a drag brake, nice for rock crawling. Check the For Sale section, some good deals on ESCs.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

I got my scale personalized plates to match my 1:1 plates in the mail from Krawler Koncepts today! Pretty cool, they remind me of "shrinky dinks!"

Thanks Michelle!!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Thats cool! I didnt even get to see the 1:1 plate before making them
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKonceptz View Post
Thats cool! I didnt even get to see the 1:1 plate before making them
They were a X-mas gift from my wife years ago! They've been through 3 Land Cruisers, and are waiting for the next one!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

is that fuel tubing under the spring cups? if so remove it and crank down your preload nuts at the top of the shock, you'll be less likely to lose a spring cup
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Nice, looking good so far. Love the color.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I love that color!!! It is the same color as my car.... Where what brand is it and what the color code??? Of course if you don't mind sharing

Here's some pics of the ride incase you were just wondering :P

nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
is that fuel tubing under the spring cups? if so remove it and crank down your preload nuts at the top of the shock, you'll be less likely to lose a spring cup
Yeah, I took put some back in after I had cut off the ones that came with the kit when I built it to see what difference it would make. I think they will be coming back off!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan_driver24 View Post
I love that color!!! It is the same color as my car.... Where what brand is it and what the color code??? Of course if you don't mind sharing
Not at all!! It's Pactra RC265 Metallic Blue.