Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Update to Shcuck's SCX10 with pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Update to Shcuck's SCX10 with pics

So I was got my 3Racing LED kit and installed last week. Here are some pics of the setup.
Added an on/off switch to control the fog lamps. Will be replacing with a picoswitch or turnigy switch very soon so I can control the lights from the 3rd channel on my receiver.

Used the famous balloon trick to keep the LED Control Unit waterproof.

Added a small piece of Velcro to the bottom of the LED Control unit so I can keep it in place on a small plastic platform I made up for it.

Also swapped out my very crapy Trinity CO27 motor for an RC4WD 35T motor as suggested by someone on this forum (for the $10 bucks it cost, it was worth a shot :-) ). I am shooting for Tekin 35T but have not been able to find one yet. It seems like they are all sold out all over the place. Any thoughts where I could get one?

And lastly I built a small plastic box to simulate the complete scale Red Fuel Tank. No real purpose at this point other than just looks. I was planning on adding some of the electronics in there and seal it, but at this point don't have any that need waterproofing. :-)

some of my next updates will be:
  • Adding a 3Racing Winch
  • Installing Picoswitch to control the lights
  • adding Proline Tuner weights to the wheels. Thinking of 6oz in the front and 2oz in the back. Thoughts or recommendations on this topic?
  • Installing Proline Roof Rack with some scale accessories

Any other updates you guys recommend to continue with making this truck look more scale?

Well hope you enjoy the pics. Comments/thoughts are ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.

I will be adding more pics to this thread as I complete the upgrades/add-ons, and will add some running pics and vids as well.
shcuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

What green spring are you using ? How stiff is it when compare to original one ? Thank you.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Those springs are the Losi 1.9 rate. I just swapped them a little while ago but what I have seen is that they are a bit softer and give me a bit more articulation. Once I add the tuner weights I will see if I still need them or go back to the stock ones.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

So wanted to give an update on my truck. First of all the balloon trick for the light unit did NOT work very well. Water def got in and stared messing with the lights. So now I will try using a small rubbermaid container to see how that works out. I wanted to stay away from covering the whole thing in liquid tape, might gave to do that eventually.

How do you guys waterproof your light controller box?

Also tried out the new RC4WD 35T motor and it worked GREAT. Was able to go in mud, water and everything in between with no glitching. At $10 each I think I will get a few and have them as spares.

Anyone else using this motor? What is youf experience with them?

Last but not least, placed an order yesterday for some scale accessories and a 3racing winch. Can't wait to get that and put it on the truck.

Will post some pics when I get them.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Wooohooo got some mail today.....
  • A Proline Roof Rack
  • Scale Accessories
  • 3Racing Winch

Here are some pics of the items laid out on the truck. Still thinking about where everything will be going.

I will work on the winch this weekend.

Any recommendations on how to connect it? I got some traxxas wire connectors so was thinking of making a Y connector to use the main Bat.

Any pics of how you guys hooked up the winch would be awesome
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

@ scuck

Looking good man I pretty much ordered the same things you did, cant wait to get my roof rack and scale goodies..
monsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

very nice honcho!
zackxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

for waterproofing your led box and other things check out the project boxes they sell at radio shack. balloon it again and put it in radio shack box and then liquid tape or plastidip seams of box. also I would liquid tape around where your wires come in and out of box. especially on inside I would liquid tape the crap out of it.

radioshack boxes come in different sizes and are like 3-4 bucks. here's a pic. and yes you can just mount in same spot as you had led box before
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062279

discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Discgolferlee...
Thanks for the post. I will def keep it in mind and will play around with that to see how it works.

I will post some pics when it is done.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So I was busy yesterday installing all the new goodies I got. And at the end it all came out great.

I did have A LOT of challenges with the 3Racing Winch. Not because of the winch but because of my Radio. I have a Traxxas 4 channel radio with a 5 channel receiver. The radio has stock on channel 4 what looks like a 3 position switch. But to my surprise.... IT WAS NOT...... and channel 3 is wired for the rocker switch that does not have a neutral position.

So after doing some searching I found this GREAT thread and posting by 1badxj, where it very clearly shows you how to re-wire the radio to swap the 3 position switch from channel 4 to channel 3 which does allow for it.

Traxxas 2.4 H.O.

After spending a little time with the Soldering iron, the winch worked GREAT.

Thanks A LOT 1badxj for that great post.

After that the install of the remaining parts went very smoothly. I have included some pics of the final product ....FOR NOW

Installed 3Racing Winch

Added a light coat of silicon to the Winch Manual control unit to make it waterproof

Next I used a plastic container with lid to put my receiver and LED Control unit. Added silicon around the top and in the hole where the wires come in to make if completely water tight.

And finally here are some pics of the scale accessories. I used the Proline Roof Rack, CB Antenna from RPP Hobbies, and other stuff, like fire extinguisher, high lift jack, Jerry Can, etc.

All I have left to do now is add some LEDs to the 2 lights on the roof rack and add weights to the wheels for better flexing and traction.

I will post those pics when done with that.

Let me know your thoughts. and any recommendations you might have.

Last edited by shcuck; 01-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

hey how are you holding down that antenna at the top? does it have a corona ball at the tip?
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yes it has a little loop at the end that I just hooked onto the roof rack.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

thanx. I'm making mine but now I'm trying to think of how to make a corona ball so I can tie it down.
08sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Ballons work great. You just have to put some dielectric grease or silicone in the neck then squish it tight with a few zip ties. Barring a puncture, the ballon works awesome and is way more space efficient IMO.
I've run boxes too, but they're bulky.
solomon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Alright so here is the latest news on my rig.....

So after the ice block incident a couple weeks ago, where a piece ice fell on my Honcho and practically broke it in half... see pics below...

I ordered a new Pro-Line Jeep Wrangler 4dr body and 12.3" floor pan. I finished the paint and accessories today.

Let me know your thoughts.

Photo of the wheel well with the floor pan.

I think the floor plan will work great to keep the big stuff out. I did have to cut it up A LOT because the pan is very straight and the wrangler body is a lot slimmer. But after a lot of cutting up, I got it to fit nicely.

Oh.. I also got a Tekin FXR and 35T motor. Just barely took it out for a spin, but I think I will need to tweak the esc a bit as I am not liking the Reverse. I think there is a way to remove the double tap of the throttle. Any ESC setup suggestions for trail and light crawling would be AWESOME...

Thanks for watching and look forward to your comments.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I like it alot better
geekfreek95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

jeep body looks a ton better
johnnie walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Thanks. Yeah I am very happy with how it came out. Now just need to get it dirty. Hehehe
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #19

that jeep body rocks
bbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbad View Post
that jeep body rocks
Thanks. I know most are going for the new bright, but I decided to go with the lexan shell from proline and paint myself