Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: honcho/xj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default honcho/xj

well i got my honcho for xmas from my fiance and am finally getting to do the things i want to it... so far i lowered the battery tray, removed excisting led's and installed a cc bec. waterproofed the whole dang rig. changed it over to a 4 link in the rear. sanded and painted rims and beadlocks. also flipped beadlocks, put thinner ones on outside and the outside ones on the inner side of wheel. since the stock stearing links are plastic i cut a coat hanger and glued into small channel on top and bottom. really strong now. cut tire foams into 8 pt star pattern but not drastic. removed bump stops in shocks. added a new battery tray in rear to hold 2-9volt batteries to run my new lighting i am wiring up. i am putting 2 led's in each front light bucket and 2 red led's in back light buckets. one wide angle one regular. made light buckets out of soda cans. masked body and just started to lay black last night. still have alot ahead of me. it is a rtr so going to kill the stock electronics then upgrade. so far i love it. here are some pics of whats done so far. i have the proline xj body, interior, and pan all in the paint room so no pics of them yet. modeling it off of my 97 xj.

eyeopenher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Very cool idea on the coat hanger to strengthen the steering
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default thank you

thank you.. the hanger fits in perfect and really gives its alot more strength.. best part is the metal hanger slides alot better then the plastic. so its a 2 for 1... sorry about the large pictures. new at the posting...
Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Its cool about the pics I always resize mine to the 320x240 and when do you plan on doing upgrades to it, and what kind are you gonna do?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Looking good I am liking the Black look of those stock wheels, what did you use to make your 4 link? Any close up shots of the 4 link set up?
monsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default the list is endless for upgrades as i am finding out. lol

well first off i would like to get a 4 channel tx. been looking at the Rc4wd one. i am not going to be putting in a dig so the 3 pos. switch will work for the xj. the led's i would like to leave hooked up to 9 volts but we shall see in the future. been reading so much about which winch to go wit cause thats a definit have for me. i have a winch on my 1:1. when the electrics go i will go wit either the rooster and novak combo and waterproof it myself or get the traxxas esc. motor wise i want to keep it peppy like it is so i might get a 30-35t. i have the tranny mount to put the summit 2 sp tranny on it. but dont know if the Rc4wd 4ch will work cause its a 3 pos. swich for that. shocks i would like to go wit the white Rc4wd scaler ones. also need to get the aluminum c's and knuckles and rear outdrives. overdrive the the front gears. mip drive shafts and steal drives... the 4 link i used parts included... used the shorter links from parts bag cause the lower links were way to long in rear. had pumpkin facing upwards. so all i really did was add 4 link truss and put the shorter links on bottom links. i did move shocks to front hole on shock towers though to straighten out shocks. the wheel base on honcho is off for xj body and pan so i needed to do 4 link no matter what. also proline pan is a little long so you have to trim (fake) gas tank in back and bend it to be a half inch shorter. worked out great and cant tell its been cut and bent. i will post pics of 4 link in a few. have to make dinner for the kids. dang... just looked at what i wrote and boy did i ramble... lol sorry. but thank you for responses... any suggestions on Rc4wd tx and which winch? the bulldog seems to be better rated then the 3R one. but idk. mostly opinion i guess. wifey just showed up with cans of white and black so after dinner i am going to spray some more. pics will be up in an hour or so... thanks again.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default forgot... lol

i bought my 4 yr old son a rs-10 which i have done quite a few mods on. so i am going to steel his stock tires and use them for snow and sand on my scx10... going to make some snow chains for it. i have made a few sets for me and friends. they work awesome on my nylint. i plow my driveway wit it... lol
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Well on my new bright tj scaler I run a modifed traxxas tq3 transmitter, novak rooster esc, hites 645 servo, and an rc4wd winch, from what ive seen and read id go with the rc4wd winch it pulls more than the 3 racing one i love mine, I also run a venom modified 55t motor which is ok for goofing around I probably go with a 45t real soon though
Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default and...

yes, i like the stock rims painted black... look 100 times better... i like the smaller rings on the outside also.. looks more like my 1:1 then the thicker outer rings... lol sorry. i am a scatter brains.. lol
Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Here is a pic of my scaler not try to mess with your thread after this I'll get back on subject
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default dude... mess away, please....

no worries mang. i love interaction and me being me, i am a scatter brains so its nice to see something other then me, me, me on this thread... love the wrangler... i had an 05 wit 4.5 RE lift wit 33's. now i got the xj cause of the kids. love em both. miss my wrangler, but having same fun in the xj.. i want to put some leafs in my scx10 also. lol see, total scatter brains. lol but back to your rig. love it. and the 2.2 look good on her.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default winch?

which winch are you running on your wrangler? is that a spectrum tx? how do you like both?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default sorry

just seen your post before the picture. you answered my question already. thanks..
Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default pics of 4 link and body pan

here are pics of 4 link using parts from parts bag and how i had to modify body pan to fit proline xj body...

Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Cool deal fyi when you decide to upgrade the suspenions links you can get traxxas rod ends, some 8/32 all thread, and some 1/4 inch brake line. cut the all thread to length screw the rod ends on the brake line is used to (sleeve) the all thread so essentially it goes between the rod ends and gives it all a nice clean look and its WAY cheaper than spending ove $50 on axials alum link kit
Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyers1 View Post
Cool deal fyi when you decide to upgrade the suspenions links you can get traxxas rod ends, some 8/32 all thread, and some 1/4 inch brake line. cut the all thread to length screw the rod ends on the brake line is used to (sleeve) the all thread so essentially it goes between the rod ends and gives it all a nice clean look and its WAY cheaper than spending ove $50 on axials alum link kit
yeah, thats what i will be doing. right now i am thinking about cutting one of my fiance's cutting boards up to make the door trims. i have a 97 so i have the black pieces on the side. just wonder to paint the cutting board or to dye it wit my tattoo ink? lol
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Default more pics

Old 01-12-2011, 05:39 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Lol dont go and piss your fiance off, I piss my wife off enough working on mine in the house lol. Is the cutting board wood or plastic?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Default lol

seems to be my job to piss her off... lol its the white plastic kind... perfect thickness to make side trim out of...
Old 01-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I've always had goo luck with this kinda plastic paint Its the krylon fusion plastic paint. I used it on my 1:1 tj wrangler I used to have it was locked front and rear, 35inch bfg mud terrains, warn bumpers front and rear, warn rock sliders,and of course a winch, use that paint for my fender flares I did alot of rock crawling comps in it