Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: rc4wd axles on scx10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #1

Default rc4wd axles on scx10?

I plan on building a killer scx10 before summer. I really like the axial chassis looks over a t-finder, though i don't know which performs better. My current scx10 is a dream but the axle "pumpkin" gets caught on many things and i noticed the rc4wd axles have much smaller ones. Can the "pumpkins" be trimed down?Is it easy to get rc4wd axles to fit on a scx10 or am i better of getting a basic t-finder for about $300?
joe-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
RCC Addict

yes you can make rc4wd axles work on a scx but if you need more ground clearance get some taller tires some claws or boogers i have both and they are awesome and that chunk will improve your driving just like the real thing you have to take different angles to clear certain obstacles
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have thought about going with rc4wd axles too but the problem is that where I live Axial axles and their parts are sold everywhere and I have a ton of their parts already from previous crawlers (AX10). The rc4wd ones if they go bad would need parts that would be ordered from out of town and I hate waiting for parts. So the best fix would be either use taller tires or drive a different line so you don't get hung up
nissan_driver24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would stay with the axial axles and get taller 1.9s or graduate to 2.2s. The reason being pertaining to what the other guy said in his post about parts, is the axial axles are way stronger than some rc4wd axles, those axles are all designed to look more scale. Now you stated that the rc4wd axles pumpkins are smaller that axials that is true but think of it this way just like a 1:1 if the ring and pinion gears are smaller they are weaker,so it would be best to stick with the axial axles cause there is a but load of parts for them and the fact that they are stronger. It would be much of a less headache to just get the taller tires. I hope this helps
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #5

It helps a whole lot!!! Thanks guys. I've gathered up sooooo much stuff and still have more to go. Being a semi-professional model car builder will give me the skills to build up a nice weathered hilux. I will post up the build when i'm done with school.
joe-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #6

how hard is it to go the other way and put axial axles on an rc4wd truck
lilengine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #7

Yeah I have the same question as above. So if anybody has some input on it it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
YJeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If your RC4WD truck is a 4 link jobbie, it should not be an issue. Both brands use a 5mm diff pinion, so your drive shafts should not give you grief.

You will need to get some sort of truss or 4link servo mount for the top links.

If you have leafs, you could look at the Axial leaf conversions that are out there, and then space out your shackles to fit the spring width.
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #9

Thanks that was one of the things I was wondering I knew I had 5mm output shaft but wasnt sure what the axials were. gonna try and find some for a good deal here directly.
YJeep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #10

Default Re: rc4wd axles on scx10?

Just wanted to add my bit on this old thread..

IMHO it is NOT worthwhile putting T-rex axles on an Axial scx10 - I suspect that the axial axle may be more hardwearing.

I have now driven my brand new trailfinder twice.

First drive, literally up the flat garden path and (NOT) back.

Broken. Steering/axle end disintegrated. Stylish.

Fixed it with the all-telling spare axle parts bag

Second drive, in the faith that the breakage whilst doing practically NOTHING the first time was a freak one off......ha.

Now, this thing CAN crawl, but only for a few seconds at a time, then you need to change the axle out for the spares they sent with the car.

Then you have to decide whether or not to even bother keeping it as to use it would mean buying aluminium t-rex axles......pricey stuff....

So, on the second run, crawled brilliantly, then finished by showing me the wheel was hanging off.....again....but the other side.

Outer plastic c-end of the axle, disintegrated.

Now, WHY?

Because they used nasty rubbish brittle plastic for the entire axle....

STEER WELL CLEAR OF THIS AXLE UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON GETTING THE ALUMINIUM VERSION

Ha. Even then, how can anyone be inspired to part with so much cash for upgrade axles IN THE FAITH THAT THEY WON'T BREAK IMMEDIATELY????

I'm definitely switching brands.
Axial plasticy wraith it is. Here's hoping it's a more nylon based plastic, but given the honcho body on my turdfinder I've no worries.

I had a HPI R40 - that was almost exclusively plastic with a few bits of woven graphite - never broke once.

To designers who decide it's better to keep parts in demand by using rubbish, here's to you! My King blackfoot is still going strong....only due to slightly better plastics.

Last edited by SqueakyBum; 01-03-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: CLARITY
SqueakyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Default Re: rc4wd axles on scx10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyBum View Post
Just wanted to add my bit on this old thread..

IMHO it is NOT worthwhile putting T-rex axles on an Axial scx10 - I suspect that the axial axle may be more hardwearing.

I have now driven my brand new trailfinder twice.

First drive, literally up the flat garden path and (NOT) back.

Broken. Steering/axle end disintegrated. Stylish.

Fixed it with the all-telling spare axle parts bag

Second drive, in the faith that the breakage whilst doing practically NOTHING the first time was a freak one off......ha.

Now, this thing CAN crawl, but only for a few seconds at a time, then you need to change the axle out for the spares they sent with the car.

Then you have to decide whether or not to even bother keeping it as to use it would mean buying aluminium t-rex axles......pricey stuff....

So, on the second run, crawled brilliantly, then finished by showing me the wheel was hanging off.....again....but the other side.

Outer plastic c-end of the axle, disintegrated.

Now, WHY?

Because they used nasty rubbish brittle plastic for the entire axle....

STEER WELL CLEAR OF THIS AXLE UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING ON GETTING THE ALUMINIUM VERSION

Ha. Even then, how can anyone be inspired to part with so much cash for upgrade axles IN THE FAITH THAT THEY WON'T BREAK IMMEDIATELY????

I'm definitely switching brands.
Axial plasticy wraith it is. Here's hoping it's a more nylon based plastic, but given the honcho body on my turdfinder I've no worries.

I had a HPI R40 - that was almost exclusively plastic with a few bits of woven graphite - never broke once.

To designers who decide it's better to keep parts in demand by using rubbish, here's to you! My King blackfoot is still going strong....only due to slightly better plastics.
I've had plastic trex 60s leafsprung on my sleeper honcho for sometime now and they have held up fine, did you even take the time to properly shim them? And just because they include spare parts doesn't mean there bad, in fact I personally like a company that includes spare parts, I beat on my rig and maintain it and I broke and axle at the chub ONCE and it was from a 7 foot fall directly on the front tire with weighted 2.2 swampers, and I have a damn hard time beleiving that one broke driving in a straight line on flat ground. So heres to you for flaming one of rcc's awesome vendors and bringing up a thread that had it's question answered just to trash talk rc4wd

Last edited by ScaleFreak93; 01-04-2012 at 03:08 PM.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote