Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Length of links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Length of links

I am piecing together a SCX 10 and would like to know what the stock length is for the links to make 4 link suspension? And what wheel base will that give me?

I've looked in the manual but it only gives info on a 3 link set up.

Thanks
0lllllll0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

make the upper links the same as your lower links
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Depends on what wheelbase you are shooting for.

Stock SCX10 (og kit with the chevy looking body) was 91mm lowers fron and rear. (11.9" wheelbase i think)
Honcho kits is 98mm front 106mm rear. (12.3" wheelbase)

With 4 link you want your uppers & lowers to be the same or the uppers to be a fly shite shorter.

Hope it helps man.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have the shorter wb scx10. On the front I installed tra2742x links top and bottom. Using the axial 4link truss, for the top links i cut 6mm brake line to 3-3/8ths. My rear 4 link is an r2j and those are pretty much the same lenght also.
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What body do you intend on running? I just built a rubicon here's a link scx-10 jeep I can measure up my set up, but it's a 3 link right now. I had 4 days to cet it running for a comp this past sunday so 3 links it was. I built my links out of 5/16" delrin for the lowers and 1/4" for the uppers. it's so easy to work with and if it works on my bully, then it's got to work.
beidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the info folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beidave View Post
What body do you intend on running?

I guess this is part of my problem, I need to figure out what body I am gonna use, then I can go from there. I am just having a hard time deciding what to go with.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #7

What about the top front links using the BENDER plate?
HIGH-SIDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
make the upper links the same as your lower links
I took similar advice and ordered 106mm links to 4-link my rear on my Honcho kit and the pinion was pointed straight up. I'm using the Axial 4-link truss. From my research, I have found with the SCX-10 and Axial 4-link truss, you will need upper links approximately 11 mm shorter than the bottom. For example, if you have 106mm bottom links, you would need 95mm upper links. According to Brandon's Trail Ranger Build found here, he used 20mm post to add length to the 3-link upper links which are 60mm. That's 80mm compared to the lowers on his rig of 91mm = 11mm difference. So if you go with this set-up, you would need 35mm posts to add to the existing 60mm = 95mm.

If you use another 4-link truss, I can't verify the above is true.
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoungette View Post
I took similar advice and ordered 106mm links to 4-link my rear on my Honcho kit and the pinion was pointed straight up. I'm using the Axial 4-link truss. From my research, I have found with the SCX-10 and Axial 4-link truss, you will need upper links approximately 11 mm shorter than the bottom. For example, if you have 106mm bottom links, you would need 95mm upper links. According to Brandon's Trail Ranger Build found here, he used 20mm post to add length to the 3-link upper links which are 60mm. That's 80mm compared to the lowers on his rig of 91mm = 11mm difference. So if you go with this set-up, you would need 35mm posts to add to the existing 60mm = 95mm.

If you use another 4-link truss, I can't verify the above is true.
i find that hard to belive, as i am using 106mm upper links on my honcho with the axial 4-link truss and i find the pinion angle to not point any where close to straight up but rather pointed at the bottom of the tranny/ skid plate which is much better than pointing forward, pointed up slightly with the 106mm links keeps the yolk from hanging up on rocks.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
i find that hard to belive, as i am using 106mm upper links on my honcho with the axial 4-link truss and i find the pinion angle to not point any where close to straight up but rather pointed at the bottom of the tranny/ skid plate which is much better than pointing forward, pointed up slightly with the 106mm links keeps the yolk from hanging up on rocks.

Excuse me 0lllllll0, for hijacking your thread.

2500hdon37s, do you mind snapping a photo of your rear 4-link setup? I'll try to do the same later tonight. I could be doing something wrong. I'd rather use the parts I have instead of buying more.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:

2500hdon37s, do you mind snapping a photo of your rear 4-link setup? I'll try to do the same later tonight. I could be doing something wrong. I'd rather use the parts I have instead of buying more.

Thanks.
No worries at all, I would like to see some pics as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks.
the pinion runs almost paralell to the lower links
using all axial rod ends (in factory locations) with my own home made 106mm upper delrin links
Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Hey HD are your upper and lower links the same eye to eye? The bent one you have on the bottom is longer then the stock ones. Did you make the uppers 106mm eye to eye or the tube it self 106mm?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

The lower links are stock from the honcho kit, 106mm with the rod ends per the instructions. The top links in this picture are Axial 106mm links with the chassis side rod ends from the 3-link per instructions, and axle side rod ends same as lower links. The top picture is too dark to see plainly (sorry), but you can see that the pinion is not parallel with either link. The bottom picture shows how far the axle is clocked upward.

You can see some other pictures in my album here.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 03:48 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I run 98mm uppers and 106mm lowers for my JK 13" WB SCX10 The last pic the uppers look too long
Black Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

When i was making mine the bottoms were too long for the top also just like btoungette. To me it seems 2500HD made the top links 106mm total end to end or eye to eye. Just the bottom tube from axial is 106mm with out the links and he added the bent link on one end which makes the bottoms a hair longer. I dont know though, but im sure he will chime in today
Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Venom View Post
I run 98mm uppers and 106mm lowers for my JK 13" WB SCX10 The last pic the uppers look too long
Agreed. (The pictures are for illustration only.) I plan to run 95 mm uppers (60mm post from stock 3-link + 35mm post to be purchased new). I put some SCX10 Trail Ready plastic links on top and they are almost where I want my pinion angle. The plastic ones are slightly different length than the aluminum ones I plan on running.

I do like how 2500hdon37s used the bent rod ends for some extra clearance. I may have to borrow that idea. (They are approximately 3mm longer than the regular Axial ones.)
Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableman View Post
Hey HD are your upper and lower links the same eye to eye? The bent one you have on the bottom is longer then the stock ones. Did you make the uppers 106mm eye to eye or the tube it self 106mm?
its a 106mm link (ie. not ETE) but the bent rod end is not long enough to have the effect that btoungette is seeing.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

0lllllll0, I bet you didn't realize what you were getting into by asking your original question.

Well, I did some more research and found the following:
  • The stock bottom link ETE is 130mm (106mm post and two 12mm rod ends)
  • The top link in the pics earlier were 133mm (106mm post, one 12mm rod end, and one 15mm horizontally curved rod end)
  • The TR plastic lower link I had as the top link originally is 122mm ETE (which gave the -11mm difference I supported in earlier threads, but have since abandoned)
After trial fittings tonight, I have concluded (and agree with Black Venom) that 98mm posts with the 15mm horizontally curved rod end and 12mm strait rod end would work best. This link ETE would be 125mm. I think it would put my rear pinion angle the same as my front.

I know I have had fun with this discussion and maybe it helps someone. 0lllllll0, keep in mind that even though we all have the SCX-10, we can have different set-ups and use different parts. That is one thing (of many) that makes this hobby fun.

2500hdon37s, Thanks for all your help also.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
0lllllll0, I bet you didn't realize what you were getting into by asking your original question.

Well, I did some more research and found the following:
  • The stock bottom link ETE is 130mm (106mm post and two 12mm rod ends)
  • The top link in the pics earlier were 133mm (106mm post, one 12mm rod end, and one 15mm horizontally curved rod end)
  • The TR plastic lower link I had as the top link originally is 122mm ETE (which gave the -11mm difference I supported in earlier threads, but have since abandoned)
After trial fittings tonight, I have concluded (and agree with Black Venom) that 98mm posts with the 15mm horizontally curved rod end and 12mm strait rod end would work best. This link ETE would be 125mm. I think it would put my rear pinion angle the same as my front.

I know I have had fun with this discussion and maybe it helps someone. 0lllllll0, keep in mind that even though we all have the SCX-10, we can have different set-ups and use different parts. That is one thing (of many) that makes this hobby fun.

2500hdon37s, Thanks for all your help also.
Wow, thanks for taking the time to share all of that information.

This is what makes this site and this hobby so fun, folks reaching out and sharing the information and experience.

Thanks