Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axle Pinion Bearing pushes out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axle Pinion Bearing pushes out

Hello, I've searched and haven't found or overlooked that problem I'm having. When I run mt truck the front pinion bearing wants to push out of the housing. Has any one experienced this or am I the only one. I plan on pulling it apart to check everything but wanted to wait till I had time to waterproof it so I only had to take it apart once. Any help to what to look for when I pull it apart would help, Thanks.
Attached Images

r34sklnnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

im not 100% certain but i think there is supposed to be a C-clip there......maybe someone else can chime in...
lowpro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yea i have that same problem i too would like to know if there s a solution to that

i havent really looked into it, i shouldve when i went to steel gears. maybe a spacer in the diff would help i dont know

Last edited by all_scaled_out; 02-05-2011 at 04:35 PM.
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpro35 View Post
im not 100% certain but i think there is supposed to be a C-clip there......maybe someone else can chime in...
I checked the manual, which I didn't bother looking at till now and it doesn't call for one, but could use one.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

granted, im using t-rex axles, i checked and there is a C-clip on mine, don't have my axials readily available or i would check those too..... in this pic, you can see the c-clip though

lowpro35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Well from what I can tell about how easy it is to push back in I think the axle housing is just a loose fit for the bearing, it is just held by pressing it in so I going to hold it in with plumbers goop, it's the same thing I use on the bearing on my helicopter .
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

you must have had those axle cases made by Mitsubishi(crank walk refence...) ahem..

try choking up on the pinion shaft with the driveshaft end once you put it all back together. i run MIP shafts and have never had this happen but with stockers it might slide on ya. also, i run the OD gears , the pinion has a lip at the end of the shaft that wont let it slip off the end unless the setscrew went byebye entirely.
ClassicGMJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Make sure you have the gear mesh the way you like/want it and then slide your driveshaft yoke down on the pinion shaft until it just touches the pinion shaft bearing face. Tighten yoke set screw....you're done.

If it works out that the set screw is not over top of the shaft flat, you can always add a few shims..

Almost every RC car manufacturer makes shims for one application or another....you just need to find ones with the right ID & OD. Do a quick search on Tower's website....you'll see what I mean. (My personal preference are the Tamiya ones as they come in sets of assorted thickness.)

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I had the same problem recently. The bearing even pushed the shaft off the pinion a couple times.

I pulled the bearing, cleaned out that area really well, and reinstalled. I made sure to push it in as far as possible using an old bearing. Good so far. I guess some grease made it through and lubed it up, allowing it to slide out.

Last edited by 92PathSE; 02-05-2011 at 08:14 PM.
92PathSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

All you need is two small drops of medium lock tight on the out side of the bearing and slide it in let it dry and your done MAKE SURE TO USE SMALL DROPS to much and it will be a pain to get it apart
farvaszx6r is offline   Reply With Quote