Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Courier Sasquatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Courier Sasquatch

With all the Irons I got floatin around I realized that the smaller 1.9s were gettin left out. They look goofy on the CompCourier and so I always went with the taller tires for performance and clearance. I decided rather than let them sit and rot or sell them, why not build around them. I cant afford another truck entirely or else Ide build another chassis so I set out to build 2 (at least) more Couriers using the same platform. This one will be for smaller 1.9 tires, be scaled out and for less aggressive driving and look like somethin you would see out on the street headin to a trail somewhere. The second will be a more aggressively modded version running the 4.75" tires and look more like a dedicated weekend trail rig that occassionally sees street duty. The CompCourier will be for those times when tall tires, no rules and no limits are required lol.

The Ford Courier only came in 2wd from the factory but a couple companies decided to do a 4wd conversion and one was called the Sasquatch. I did as much research as I could on colors and tried to get the paint to match as close as I could. Most that you find still around today are orange, but the brochure I found shows White, Orange, Yellow, Green and Red were done as well. I have a yellow rig, will build another one in orange and wanted to do a Green as well since the UglyYota and F100 were both green. Went lookin for paint to match the factory as best as possible and stumbled across this awesome green. Was gonna do the Sasquatch in orange and the bigger 1.9 rig in Green but since I still havnt found a suitable orange, I went green...and Im MORE than happy with the way it turned out.

Heres the body all cut out and fit to the frame. If I was building another chassis for this body Ide reduce the front links to bring the wheelbase in some and go for a more mildly modified look, but Ill deal with this. Looks like a weekend warrior Courier that someone stretched the front some for better approach.

Cant seem to find the in-between shots but here she is as of today. Paint and most detail work is done. I plan on adding alot of scale goodies, mirrors, wipers, lights and eventually a drop bed. I took my time on the stripes, they are Sasquatch specific and turned out nice I think!!!

Was even able to make the interior line up which Im VERY happy bout. Still need to finish it up as well but it works for now.

Out on the rocks while waitin for the electrician to swing by lol

Ive taken care of a noticeable alignment issue in the rear of the truck and hope to finish up some details soon. Had to do alot of touchup after a masking issue while doin the black fender flares but it looks good I think.

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Nice clean paint job. Looks great..!
Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Love the color, very nice! Always good to see something different.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Way cool, very nice work.
fortysixandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Yeah for once Im really happy with the green lol. I went thru so many different greens on the UglyYota. This one closest mimicks the stock color which is an ugly awesome green . Im happy with it...wanna finish detailing it out and work on beatin it up the ole fasion way Was gonna do some bumpers and stuff for it but I like it stock lookin so itll prolly stay this way for a while.
Matt
Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, love your trucks man. I cant wait till my Scx gets here.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I got to beat on the Sasquatch a bit today...and I must say...I LOVE it!!! It forced me to take it slow, be smart and pick my lines carefully. Doin so made for a great time, both for me and Jbird. It made it up stuff I woulda never thought possible and alot has to do with the new 1.55 tires I put together. These are stock 1.9 height (4.25") Flat Irons with 1.55 sidewalls. I will say that these suckers surprised me. They are the same tires I used to run no foams in and cut to mimick Swampers.

I dont plan on goin over the top with this truck but I will drop the bed and add small touches soon, but Im beyond happy!

Matt
Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Your paint skills are getting AWESOME...Love the pin strip...and your should paint the punisher guy's face to match the color of the truck!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Well, finally got all the parts together needed to build the Sasquatch and TrailCourier a seperate chassis from the CompCourier. I took the SCX10 chassis and interior/bed from the CompCourier and added some axles, tranny and shocks I got from the For Sale section. It will use my spare Axial 27T motor, Torquemaster and will have a spectrum receiver so I can bind my DX3E when I wanna drive it. Im waiting for a decent servo but for the moment Ill live with what I can dig up cheap. I went back to the frame mounted steering and panhard bar and find that with the stock shocks its doesnt hurt flex at all like it did with the AX10 shocks. ANYways, enough talkin, heres the pics that I have for now.

Leftovers from the original TR and CompCourier.

All the parts layed out and ready for re-assembly. Basically I put it back to a close to stock SCX10 so nothin special here.

She's a roller! Heres a couple shots of the steering/panhard setup and suspension. The stock springs are gone in favor of some cut down soft AX10 springs.

Almost ready for the rocks

If I can get it finished in time I will test it out this weekend and make any necessary tweaks. Ill also try to get some pics of the TrailCourier. Its actually the clear body at the beginning of this thread but with the bed doved. I painted it up retro Courier style as well and like it even more than the green body.
Matt
Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I like it! Really sharp and different!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Well, finally got all the parts together needed to build the Sasquatch and TrailCourier a seperate chassis from the CompCourier. I took the SCX10 chassis and interior/bed from the CompCourier and added some axles, tranny and shocks I got from the For Sale section. It will use my spare Axial 27T motor, Torquemaster and will have a spectrum receiver so I can bind my DX3E when I wanna drive it. Im waiting for a decent servo but for the moment Ill live with what I can dig up cheap. I went back to the frame mounted steering and panhard bar and find that with the stock shocks its doesnt hurt flex at all like it did with the AX10 shocks. ANYways, enough talkin, heres the pics that I have for now.

Leftovers from the original TR and CompCourier.

All the parts layed out and ready for re-assembly. Basically I put it back to a close to stock SCX10 so nothin special here.

She's a roller! Heres a couple shots of the steering/panhard setup and suspension. The stock springs are gone in favor of some cut down soft AX10 springs.

Almost ready for the rocks

If I can get it finished in time I will test it out this weekend and make any necessary tweaks. Ill also try to get some pics of the TrailCourier. Its actually the clear body at the beginning of this thread but with the bed doved. I painted it up retro Courier style as well and like it even more than the green body.
Matt
lookin Good! You need to armor all up them tires!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

LOL thanks guys! Sidewalls will blend with use...slickin em out would look kool tho lol. Now i gotta finish interior and inner fenders and start thinkin drop bed. Gotta get it runnin first tho.
Matt
Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Jer
Rock Crawler

I really like the detail between the "body panels". I haven't tried it yet because I am not sure it would look clean like yours. How did you achieve the look of a gap without it looking fake?
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Just a fine tip sharpie! Just follow the lines in the body and itll come out nice. Painting on the outside helps cause the sharpie shows up darker than on clear lexan with the paint inside but even then you can still do the same with good results.
Matt