Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx10 rtr vs. scx10 kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Default scx10 rtr vs. scx10 kit

hey gents, looking at getting a scx10 for the girlfriend and was wondering what was the differences in the kit and rtr? for a difference of $25 there has to be things different between the two.
newblnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Search, not much different other than some parts available in the kit...but again use the search this Q has been answered many a time.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #3

the rtr kit doesnt come with any aluminium links as for the kit version does. if you are new to this hobby then i say go for the rtr kit. it is cheaper and you can always upgrade later when things start to break.

as for me i went with the kit version because i enjoy building them since that was all we had back in the 90s. i do highly recommend this route though!
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Its not gonna be $25 difference if you buy the kit cause then you have to buy an ESC, Radio and receiver, Motor, and a servo. If you want save a lil $ get the RTR, but if you want some better stuff get the kit or run the RTR till somthing breaks and replace it with better components
cmyers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I hoped he had already figured out it didn't come with any electronics...but if not that's another reason to go with the RTR if you don't know enough to get the electronics you need.
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

kit-
alum. links
you get to put in better electronics (the rtr's arent so bad anymore)
you learn more about how it works an is built
get to do the mods while you build
get to paint the body the color you want

rtr-
plastic links
crappy motor, and rtr electronics (esc and radio are good, but the motor and servo could use a lil improvement)
dont learn about it because its pre built
takes more time to do mods
same od green body half the other honchos have

the rtr in the end will cost more by the time you get good links, a good motor, a good servo, and there are a few extra parts in the kit.

buy the kit, you'll enjoy building it, as well as enjoy it more because you built it.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post
the rtr kit doesnt come with any aluminium links as for the kit version does. if you are new to this hobby then i say go for the rtr kit. it is cheaper and you can always upgrade later when things start to break.

as for me i went with the kit version because i enjoy building them since that was all we had back in the 90s. i do highly recommend this route though!

I would go the kit version. Due to the aluminium links. It took me a day to complete the kit build.
lewy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #8

i was aware of the lack of parts in the kit, but i was wondering what was in the rtr that wasnt in the kit as per differences. so its basically only aluminum links-plastic links? i wouldnt have any problems building the kit. i own other rc's and im a automotive technician so fixing things that break are a daily thing. i really was leaning towards the rtr as it is for the girlfriend and i really doubt she will be wanting to modify anything. its really just gonna be a truck for her to drive with me and her son so it will be a family affair. so the only real benifit to the kit is it has aluminum links and i can paint the body as wanted. stock electronics will be enough for her, if the time comes i will update the esc and motor but i really dont see that happening. thanks for the replies.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you like building things and taking your time with instructions and spending a little money in the future, then get the kit. If you dont like to take your time and want to buy what you get for the kit later, then get rtr.

I wish i got the kit because i wanted the aluminim links and tirod and etc. It wouldn't have been fun to build too.
VintageCopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #10

i would rather build it myself and paint the top but for the sake of saving $25 to start and still have to buy radio, esc and servo's it aint worth it for this project. who knows maybe i will be able to trade the top with someone who wants a painted one, if not i will just buy a body later to custom for her. she did say she wanted pink. lol
Old 02-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
RCC Addict

If you get the kit made sure you get the newer one with the 2.4 radio and new style ecs.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblnc View Post
i would rather build it myself and paint the top but for the sake of saving $25 to start and still have to buy radio, esc and servo's it aint worth it for this project. who knows maybe i will be able to trade the top with someone who wants a painted one, if not i will just buy a body later to custom for her. she did say she wanted pink. lol
you also forgot the sh$tty plastic links that come with the rtr. that's a $50+ upgrade the kit has. KIT all the way unless you go for the newer 2.4ghz rtr with new esc. but then again you could get the esc seperate and a chinese 2.4ghz just as good as rtr 2.4ghz for same or less than the 299.99 the new rtr cost
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #13

ive decided to order up the new scx10 with the 2.4 and new style esc. im sure she will love it and ill just have to order another body to paint pink. haha. i just got to wait for greathobbies to get some stock and it will be on the way. ill be sure to post up the paint job as i get them done at work which is a gm dealership and its a sick job each time.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by newblnc View Post
ive decided to order up the new scx10 with the 2.4 and new style esc. im sure she will love it and ill just have to order another body to paint pink. haha. i just got to wait for greathobbies to get some stock and it will be on the way. ill be sure to post up the paint job as i get them done at work which is a gm dealership and its a sick job each time.
drop the extra $50 and get the aluminum link kit. if not the rear links, and steering link will cause problems on the trail.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #15

well i just saw the photo on homepage of the new axial scaler so i may have to hold out till may
Old 02-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thats not a bad idea. The new one looks killer.

As for me, I went with the RTR, then took it apart and rebuilt it.
Also, I upgraded as parts broke, or just for fun.
Maybe a little backwards, but for me, I found it easier to learn by tearing it apart first instead of an instruction manual...
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote