Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: battery mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default battery mounting

Hi guys, I got my Honcho running and took it out for the first time. It has the hand brothers kit and I have the bigger 7.2 nimh packs. I was noticing the truck is very front heavy. When I was decending a rocky hill, I noticed that when the front end came off a rock, the bad end would come up. On one particular time te truck did a few endos.
On to the question, I was going to move the battery to behind the motor/transmission with a custom bracket just inside the cab. Is there a reason that everything is mounted up front in these trucks?
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have the battery up front but I am running a small 2 cell LiPo. That makes a big difference in how it will handle. Also ad some weight to your wheels to help hold the truck down.
Moparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Ypou typically want a front heavy weight bias to help out on climbs. Having a big pack like that mounted in the rear will cause it to wheelie under power and flip over on climbs. Switching to a lipo battery (and keeping it front mounted) will be your best bet. i run 1500mah 3s packs and I still get over 40 minutes of runtime with a 35 turn motor.

What esc are you running? If it's lipo capable, definitely go that route. If not, you might want to check out the Novak Smart Stop lipo cutoff. It makes most esc's lipo capable. Keep in mind that they have a 3s and 2s version.

Last edited by TSK; 02-27-2011 at 01:01 PM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the advice guys, man this is an expensive hobby! I did some searching and noticed that the dingo mounts the battery in the rear. I have never seen or used a dingo to see how it handled, but would it tend to lift the front end, or suck at climbing, just curious.
Oh and yes I have an XL5 esc so I can run lipo batteries.
NickGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickGood View Post
Thanks for the advice guys, man this is an expensive hobby! I did some searching and noticed that the dingo mounts the battery in the rear. I have never seen or used a dingo to see how it handled, but would it tend to lift the front end, or suck at climbing, just curious.
Oh and yes I have an XL5 esc so I can run lipo batteries.
If you read my post, you would see that I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Ypou typically want a front heavy weight bias to help out on climbs. Having a big pack like that mounted in the rear will cause it to wheelie under power and flip over on climbs.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

yeah i have the dingo and it had the battery in the rear, it did nothing without flipping so i did a custom relocation, pm me i can show exactly how i did it if you need to know, not sure how much help it would be since you got a honcho but i would be glad to help
devenaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've been playing with battery location for a bit and right now I'm mounting the battery tray right on top of the sliders... keeps the weight low. does good with right sidehill drives ... but sucks on the left sidehill drives... yea it's mounted on the left side...I'm also running 3s lipo 2200's and 1550's so they're not a heavy as the stick packs...
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote