Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 k5 turned Ford club cab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCX10 k5 turned Ford club cab

Starting with Pro line k5 body and SCX10 kit. I want leaf spring front end so I have RC4wd springs and RcBros conversion kit. I will 4 link the rear. I will be throwing my hat in the brazing ring as well so we will all see how that turns out. Keepin it simple and full function. Using traxxas 2056 waterproof servo and XL5 esc also waterproof. Using stock axial wheels with MTHead bead lock rings. Tires I think I am going with baja claws. Undecided on shocks at this point. Will be a slow build even though I am anxious to get it done. I found 2 pics for inspiration...
Attached Images

Last edited by Rivas Concepts; 04-14-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i would suggest the rc4wd super swamper boggers. They are an awesome tire. I finally got to do a full day of true trail running with mine and they did amazing. just a suggestion and they look awesome and would fit the inspiration
scx10mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

very cool setup. would you be able to/willing to tell me what links (length & size) you have to match the wheelbase of the proline blazer body? i am looking to do a similar setup & not sure on what i need for upper-lower & front-rear links needed. is that the paint scheme you are thinking about? very nice if so....

thanks!!
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx10mudder View Post
i would suggest the rc4wd super swamper boggers. They are an awesome tire. I finally got to do a full day of true trail running with mine and they did amazing. just a suggestion and they look awesome and would fit the inspiration
Nice thanks for the input, I dont know anybody running the claws or the boggers. That helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc dreemer View Post
very cool setup. would you be able to/willing to tell me what links (length & size) you have to match the wheelbase of the proline blazer body? i am looking to do a similar setup & not sure on what i need for upper-lower & front-rear links needed. is that the paint scheme you are thinking about? very nice if so....

thanks!!
I know my links now are to long and I am switching the front to leaf springs, I have all lengths of links so ill see what I can do to let you know what it would be. Yes I will use the full size blazer pic as paint scheme but will be removing rear portion of the top and cut the front fenders and try my best to build it like the built crawler. I have never brazed before but I am still going to attempt this build, figure everyone has to start somewhere.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

To make your decision even harder, I run the claws and they are awesome all around.
Tru3Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #6

Nice, custom made beadlocks?
Q63tactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru3Racing View Post
To make your decision even harder, I run the claws and they are awesome all around.
I have heard good things about the claws thats why I first thought of running them, now I am torn between the two. I want a good all around tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q63tactical View Post
Nice, custom made beadlocks?

Yes custom bead locks from MTHead, I think they look sweet and perfect for this build.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

So all I have really got done is the leaf spring conversion on the front. Ride height is a challenge on leaf springs, also on my xj build springs, hangers/shackles and frame wasnt perfectly in line so I tried to correct that. I used both rc4wd leaf spring parts and rcbros, actually combining them. I can adjust ride height and axle placement to some degree with out drilling new holes or anything. The K5 body isnt very accommodating to big tires, so it seems to me like my suspension is riding high, worried bout COG bein so high. I shaved the springs to a point at the hangers for movement. It flexes awesome right now for leaf springs..! Something I did was flatten out the spring though is its longer at ride height, movement is from rear shackle and spring itself. Bout it so far...
Attached Images

Last edited by Rivas Concepts; 03-06-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

After much debate I am trying out the TSL Boggers, They are larger than expected.! I read measurements and stuff, but they are just a lot bigger than I thought. Just for test fitting the body posts are maxed out. Guess with a basher you want tall tires, I will be hacking on the body to even clear these things. I intended to cut body and with these tires unless you run a truggy or something its a must I think...
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

this is gonna look sick with the special order you made
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Can I suggest you find a Traxxas 2075 servo to run? Its definitely stronger and will turn those 1.9s much better than the 2056 and it's still waterproof. They can be had for as low as $15 on ebay if you find the right deal (I paid $15 for mine, and love it).
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Can I suggest you find a Traxxas 2075 servo to run? Its definitely stronger and will turn those 1.9s much better than the 2056 and it's still waterproof. They can be had for as low as $15 on ebay if you find the right deal (I paid $15 for mine, and love it).
Cool thanks.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

What color did you paint it?
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Awesome start so far I'm really feeling the K-5 right now I can't wait to finish mine. Keep us updated
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

So I havent updated this in a loooong while. I ended up removing the back top section for starters. Next I put in CGR interior. I cant find the pics, the only trouble I had is CGR is longer than the blazer. As you can see I made it work. You can see in these pics interior is loosely sitting in there.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Reminds me of my K5! Nice Work!

NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

So I have interior permanent. (Shoe goo cuz I know people will ask). Put some scale stuff in back, fuel lines battery etc. I used brake lines to do front tube fender bars and rear bumper. Not nearly as clean as my cherokee chief build, but it works. I cant complain about my tire choice of Boggers. Stock foam sucks so changed them out. My biggest complaint is seems top heavy and tall, ridin on stock axial scx10 shock. Love the wheel travel, but side hills are scary.
Used stock scx10 shock as dummy shock for leaf springs up front and painted it white.

The rear spare bogger adds a lot of weight and its stock with no weights added.

You can see the tire holding on for dear life because its top heavy.

You can see I removed all outer small lugs and kept inside, so far does awesome

You can see it in this video with my cherokee chief, more video of it on my channel. scale crawling las vegas, nv - YouTube
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Reminds me of my K5! Nice Work!

Nice I like it, looks good on the TSl's..
Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivas Concepts View Post
why do you have a hanger and a shackle on the rear of the front leaf springs? is that normal? i thought the rear leaf mount (in 1:1's at least) dont have a shackle.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Purely function in how I set it up (if I were as good as some of these r/c fabricators I would have made a drop bracket in front and rear and just used shackle in rear), a way to get lift and more movement out of leaf springs to answer your question tho. Normally on a 1:1 there is just a shackle on the rear I believe. Not normal what I did tho.