Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to me JK 2 door

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New to me JK 2 door

Not too long ago I decided I wanted a runner to beat up while I complete my Bronco build. I wanted the new Wraith and had saved up until al the info was released. I decided it wasnt my cup o tea and love the scx-10 platform. With what a wraith would run me I could build a kick a$$ scx10. So the hunt began.

I scored this scx10 pictured below from a member on here. It was a great buy. I paid shipped what this thing would cost not hopped up new as a kit.

It was very clean when I got it but didnt stay that way. Unfortunaly I didnt take pics of it when it was clean.

This is the way it came:

- Robinson racing one piece steel outout gear
- Hand Brothers CMS three link kit
- Axial aluminum c's
- Axial Aluminum high steer knuckles
- MtHead Suicide Sally rings x5 with all stainless screws
- RC4WD MT TTC Claws
- Proline JK body nicely painted
- RPM? Light bar
- UNKNOWN digital metal gear servo with alloy arm (that was a bonus had no clue it was included)

I added...SO FAR

- Novak Goat Brushless system
- Scale headlights, turn signals
- New Bright Taillights and mirrors (well until the mirrors broke off today)
- Lined out the panels with a panel pen (small thing to do with a big scale impact!)

Soon to come

- Dingo interior and cage topless
- Dingo flares mounted to look like 1:1 Bushwacker flares
- Interior scale set
- Possibly cut down New Bright Interior
- Proline belly pan
- JunFac driveshafts
- XR10 shocks
- Maybe a cherokee body but that opens a whole new build plan

This is a great truck and from box to rocks was only maybe 15min. 5 of that was driving to the crawl spot. Installed my goat system, plugged in a LiPo set it all up and took it to the crawl spot. Came home added scale parts and went again today. These shots were from today. Not much action shots. I get to involved in running to stop and take pics..LOL. Sorry the last pics are grainy IPHONE pics. Also sorry for all the mud and sand. I have to strip it down and give it a good cleaning to get it looking new again.

The headlights are axial Lightbuckets. I CA glued the covers in and the buckets snap into those nice and snug. I might eventually mount the ones from my 4 door in there along with the turn signals. The turn signals here are axial lights as well. You can see here the mirrors broke off. They broke at the plastic joint in about 3 minutes. It didnt even losen the mount to the body. CA is a hell of a glue.

Tail lights from a JK I am not using (hate the fake JK mud and not enough time to do the brake cleaner thing so the New Bright is a parts body for now plus it would make the rig top heavy).

Kick a$$ body mounts made be the previous owner and man do they hold up. I thought they were store bought but closer inspection shows he jsut did a great job fabbing them up.

This thing crawls great and I love it. I dont have much to do to it just small stuff. The bumper has to go for something closer to the body. It gets hung up on everything and the spare tire and dingo bumper do the same. They are going to get swapped as well for something with less of a chance of hanging up. All and all though this rig is the only "runner" rig I have already decided will never get sold. It will sit with my Bronco and Parma Good Times Drag Viper on the DO NOT EVER GET RID OF SHELF!!! whenever it is not getting beaten up.

Well thats my new rig. Sorry I got long winded but I am truly excited about this thing. Thanks for looking.
drtrydr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

This is the body I am going to go with i think. I did this one up to resemble my 1:1. I traded it along with my DH bumpers on my scx10 with joshwat1 and recently made a trade with him to get it back and well that story is all in the past. I got scammed bad and it never showed up here....so....I will be doing another just like it or as close to it as I can. I like the JK but I own the Cherokee 1:1 so it has to be that. Plus I like the benifit of the longer wheelbase. Since I got brand new Yokahama tires on my 1:1 since this pic was taken I might buy a set of the mini trophy Yokahamas for fun as a second set of scale tires. Then it will match my 1:1 exactly. The roof rack is gone on my 1:1 as well. It was for a Mitsibishi Delica (4x4 Diesel van) anyway and was too small.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I will call him... mini me! ;) Nice trucks...
crumplez0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

That little XJ is cool. I too did a XJ...my favorite Jeep for sure. I'm really diggin' the mesh wheels too.
M109R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

those wheels are really cool.. they look like some I had on my 540 a while back.. they fit the truck perfect.
crumplez0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumplez0ne View Post
I will call him... mini me! ;) Nice trucks...
Thanks. I am going to even try getting some "LIMITED" stickers for the new one to make it a true mini me. I might try a right hand conversion too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109R View Post
That little XJ is cool. I too did a XJ...my favorite Jeep for sure. I'm really diggin' the mesh wheels too.
Yeah by far one of my favorite trucks I have ever owned..the 1:1 that is. I love this rig and plan on taking it home with me and also buying a 2001 when I get back stateside. The wheels unfortunatly went with the truck and the local store is outta stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumplez0ne View Post
those wheels are really cool.. they look like some I had on my 540 a while back.. they fit the truck perfect.
Yeah I actually found a jeep XJ in the junkyard over here. I have been taken parts off of it almost daily. Its pretty much a shell now but has those mesh wheels on it like mine had stock. Im going for those next as soon as the cars on top of it are moved and I can get to it. I think they will look cool wrapped in the mud terrains.

Thanks for all the compliments. The new Proline Jeep XJ body should be ordered in the next week or so.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

More pics of the body I will replicate again....

Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I may have overlooked this, but is the front 4-linked? In one pic. it looks like there may be a 4-link mount on the front?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109R View Post
I may have overlooked this, but is the front 4-linked? In one pic. it looks like there may be a 4-link mount on the front?

The old one I had with the XJ body is 4 linked in the front. The new one with the JK body is three linked with the Hand Brothers Kit. There are two diffrent trucks pictured.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Ahhhh, I thought it was the same truck with different bodies Would you happen to have any pics. of the XJ topless showing the setup with the front being 4-linked? I was curious how it would work if the servo is mounted in the stock position on that mounting plate over the axle?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I dont have a pic of it but the 4 link bar is flat enough you can still use the servo plate that comes with the SCX-10. The only downfall is the third screw will not be there and you will soley rely on the tabs strength that are molded into the axle. You could however drill a couple holes in the plate and run a zip tie around the 4 link. I thought about doing that. In reality though a Hand Brother CMS kit is the best option if you want to change up the front end. It is designed great with the pan hard bar and three link and offers enough rigidity to be as effective as an axle mounted servo. I also like the fact that I dont have to worry about the servo clearence between the frame rails when flexing like an axle mounted servo and I can mount stuff up front without a clearence problem. I love it on my new SCX-10 and will never swap it for anything else. Well.... Unless I get wraith axles someday

Last edited by drtrydr2000; 05-09-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've been looking at the CMS from Hand Bros. but that price is tough to swallow right now. Looks great though.