Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New Build - Servo / Steering issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Build - Servo / Steering issue

So I am almost finished with my stock build and have run into an issue. The servo post is hitting the frame brace and allowing almost zero flex to that side. See photo. Also, the drag link is hitting the frame rail when flexing the other way which allows very little flexing. This kit is getting frustrating. I know a lot of people customize parts for their axial, but I just want to get a stock setup going before I do anything else. Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited by Slaughter; 05-23-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
So I am almost finished with my stock build and have run into an issue. The servo post is hitting the frame brace and allowing almost zero flex to that side. See photo. Also, the drag link is hitting the frame rail when flexing the other way which allows very little flexing. This kit is getting frustrating. I know a lot of people customize parts for their axial, but I just want to get a stock setup going before I do anything else. Any suggestions? Thanks
Suspension links equal length on both left and right side? One side (upper and/or lower) different length will cock the axle to one side. Not really any way around the drag link htting frame if it has enough travel...live with it. I was building late at night the other night and put a 98mm on left lower and 106mm link on right lower...lol.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-23-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

get out the dremel and grind it down a little, and if its the honcho kit it will probaly hit the frame cross member in front of the servo when you put the arm on the servo, so grind!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

mine does the same thing, one way to fix it is move the servo to the chassis, or get bigger shocks... sucks.

what my plan for the future is moving the servo to the middle of the chassis, and running a link to the axle that turns a L servo arm that turns the steering links. or waiting till i get a behind the steering kit. and see what i can fiddle with
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys. I am just trying to troubleshoot as I build so I don't have to tear it down later. Seems like another poor design like my other thread regarding the spur.

I will get the RC4WD CMS kit later to fix the issue. In the mean time I guess I will do a little dremeling.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

mine did the same ,i just ground a little off the servo mount and it works fine.
and like spike said get longer shocks that also helps
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I was kinda ticked when I realized this assembling my SCX, and having to tear it all back apart, lol.

Like everyone else already knew, a few minutes with a Dremel or file will be neccessary on the servo mounts, the crossmember in front of the servo, and lower edge of the crossemember behind the servo.

It's not so much that I had to modify it, but the directions should at least warn me ahead of time.

For the steering I installed an offset rod end on the servo arm (the same ones as on the tie rod) and removed the spacer between the rod ends on the knuckle. It barely clears on uptravel.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

you guys also gotta realize that your scx10 will not have the weight of your hand pushing the shocks down.

the scx10 will only have the weight of the scx10 behind it.

so what i recommend you do is take your chassis and go play with it, and watch it articulate, and watch the servo move up and down, it doesn't hit as much as we all think it does. but something with the weight of our hands and pushing the shocks to articulate the chassis to make the servo hit is different than actually driving around on rocks. etc...
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote