Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dual motor mount....Anyone tried it yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Dual motor mount....Anyone tried it yet?

Was looking for a new ideler gear for my Honcho when I came across this little item. Its a dual motor mount. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet and if so how did it work out and how did you wire it up. Take a look.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/levscx-03.htm
93-12smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

So I guess nobody has tried it. Do you think its possible to Y the power and negative wires and run matching motors on one ESC or would it overload it? Or would it be more for running a slow motor and ESC for crawling and a faster combination for bashing without having to change them out?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you'll more than likely fry the ECS

you need two ECS's; one for each motor; and a receiver capable of using two ECS's

the dude at RC Sparks put one in his monster dually he built (or is currently building I should say)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnoVgXV0oU4

if the money is there in the future, I may throw one in the Tacoma I'm building now, just because, and then put a SMALL spur on it and some larger pinions, since TWO motors will basically double the torque, and since there's already enough to slip the slipper clutch, I don't see what use MORE torque would be... but more SPEED is always nice

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've never run one of a SCX but i have driven an original dual brushed E-Revo and you definitely notice the extra torque that 2 motors give you.

You don't NEED two ESC's. You can run two matching motors off a single esc. Just make sure you dont overload it by exceeding the turn limit.

The way i was taught to roughly work out what sort of load a ESC would see is to divide the turn rating of the motors by the number of motors and that roughly gives you the equivalent turn rating for a single motor.

For example, running 2x 55t in parallel the ESC would see a similar load to one 27t. 2x45t = 22.5t load etc.

Hope it helps mate.
WIDELOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I'm suprised nobody mentioned using a EVX-2, which is made for dual motors. The only issue I can see with this is have to run dual batteries as well and 2 6 cell nimhs would be pretty heavy
02hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Or u also can get a Novak crawler roster and run 2 35t-55t. Iv been lookin to do that and see what it does
OCscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Here's one!

http://www.freeforum101.com/scalehau...calehaulersand
RockEd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

I guess I don't really understand why? It's not like the SCX is such a big heavy truck that you need two motors to run it. From the looks of it, you're adding quite a bit of weight up high with that second motor.

Not really sure what this solves other than it can be done. Anyone else know anything about this?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

My truck is already heavy carrying a 7.2 and an 8.4 nimh batteries so I don't see what it will hurt. Be kinda cool if there was a way to engage one two get you going or crawling then the other pick up for speed and bashing
Old 08-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93-12smoke View Post
My truck is already heavy carrying a 7.2 and an 8.4 nimh batteries so I don't see what it will hurt. Be kinda cool if there was a way to engage one two get you going or crawling then the other pick up for speed and bashing
You could maybe accomplish this with the electronic Dig controllers MOAs use. They run two motors obviously and can turn one off for Dig with the right gear.

Overall I see no point in two motors. An appropriate motor hasno troubles moving the Scx however you need it too.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote