Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: spur gear help pleasee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #1

Default spur gear help pleasee

im running the stock motor/spur gear on my honcho, was wondering if theres a differnt sized spur gear i can slap on for more torque?? it seems as if its kinda unstable at low speed as it jerks forward right now
98ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ranger View Post
im running the stock motor/spur gear on my honcho, was wondering if theres a differnt sized spur gear i can slap on for more torque?? it seems as if its kinda unstable at low speed as it jerks forward right now
a larger spur (or smaller pinion) will give less top speed and more torque

a smaller spur (or larger pinion) will give higher top speeds and less torque

the stock spur on the Honcho is an 87 tooth. the higher the number of teeth, the larger the gear. BUT, there's a limit on how large of a gear you can install before the gear comes into contact with the drive shaft, although I am uncertain what that limit is

in my personally opinion, it's much easier, and just as effective to just change to a smaller pinion on the motor. the stock is a 20 tooth, which is pretty large. you could step down to a 14 or 12 tooth and probably notice a good difference

I'm still running the stock gears on mine because I do like the extra speed, but I may end up gearing down for more torque since a nice side effect is that it extends your battery life since there's less stress on the motor

CKRC sells some spur/pinion kits. this is actually the one that I will more than likely go with

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ckrcs-32...ng-p-3316.html
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Both RTR and kit have the 87T spur, however the kit comes with a 14T pinion while the RTR comes with a 20T.....just depends what you have currently.

If you already have the kit with the 14T pinion you would then need to look at your motor (go for a higher wind)....or possibly use a slightly larger spur, say 90T and up
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

If you plan on running MIP driveshafts, 87t spur is as big as you will be able to go. Its already super close to touching. Any larger and its a definate hit. Go smaller on spur and get sometihg like a 35t motor. It will give you more torque and you wont lose all your wheel speed. Good luck.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

awesome info answered some questions I had
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have the kit Honcho with a 45t motor...AWESOME crawler that goes about the speed of a brisk walk, maybe. When crawling, it will stop whenever I release the throttle...no matter the angle.

I also have a used Dingo RTR with the 27t motor (different gearing as mentioned) and the thing is FAST and not a good crawler. It currently has 2.2s on it (going back to stock soon) and even with drag brake at 100%, it rolls down obstacles when the throttle is released. After 1.9s are back on, I will probably look for similar motor and pinion I have on my Honcho...SO much more fun for me.
MarkThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
RCC Addict

just get a higher turn motor if you want more torque
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have a dingo TR comin so yer sayin to change the motor not just the spur gear or pinion gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkThomas View Post
I have the kit Honcho with a 45t motor...AWESOME crawler that goes about the speed of a brisk walk, maybe. When crawling, it will stop whenever I release the throttle...no matter the angle.

I also have a used Dingo RTR with the 27t motor (different gearing as mentioned) and the thing is FAST and not a good crawler. It currently has 2.2s on it (going back to stock soon) and even with drag brake at 100%, it rolls down obstacles when the throttle is released. After 1.9s are back on, I will probably look for similar motor and pinion I have on my Honcho...SO much more fun for me.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Just change the motor to a larger T like a 35t or a 45t and you should be fine for the style you are looking for. Good luck.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Is it as simple as changin the motor or ya need the ESC as well. What's a good intermediate motor brand?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think the AE2 esc should handle a higher turn motor just fine.....
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Holmes Hobbies has bothintermediate and comp motors. One of their machine wound 45t's is reasonably priced and right up your alley. Then when you wanna go big you can just swap in the internals to make it a hand wound bad ass ;)
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks federally
Old 09-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
Is it as simple as changin the motor or ya need the ESC as well. What's a good intermediate motor brand?
http://store.rc4wd.com/Engine-Motor_c_26.html. 10 dollar motors Nuff said
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote