Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: buying a honcho kit tomorrow- go brushless?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default buying a honcho kit tomorrow- go brushless?

So I'm buying my 4 axial truck Thursday. This time I'm goin with a honcho kit. I found one on the net for $249 shipped. Is there a cheaper place cause that's the cheapest I've found. Anyways, I was wondering what the best BL system (motor and esc) would be for a all around truck? I don't know anything about brushless though so feel free to talk to me in a slow way lol . I've went brushed my whole life and I wanna get a taste of something different with my new build. Its going to support a summit trans in a dinky cradle which I'm ordering Thursday. I'm going to build this truck more of a scaler but, id like to get alittle speed out of it every once in awhile so I'm getting a summit.

So now the stories done lol, what suggestions you guys have? And please have experiance with the ones you suggest, not just info from what you've read or a friend of a friend has.
Thanks
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

my future plan is to get the brushless system right off a Slash (Velineon VXL-3s ECS and Velineon 3500 motor). I've seen them hooked to a 3s on an SCX10, and they're pretty darn quick while at the same time having a manageable lower speed torque. and to top it off, the motor and ESC are waterproof

just keep in mind though that if you go brushless, you ARE going to annihilate the plastic gears in the trans and the plastic drive shafts

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 09-03-2011 at 12:53 AM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Hmmm. I would say Traxxas VXL setup but the ESC is very iffy. I fried 2 of them fry the board without even getting past 1/4 trigger pull on stock gearing. One was in a Stampede and the other was in a Slash 4x4. Traxxas did warranty them but it still sucks. Ill use the VXL setup if I have it already but I wouldnt buy one when there are so many other options out there for better ESC's. Why not look into getting a Holmes Hobby BR-XL Torquemaster ESC, its absolutely great for crawling and it can handle up to 6s LiPo. My Honcho with the 1.9 Flatirons on a 3s is crazy fast, 4s is awesome and I havent even had the balls to go to the 6s yet. But I do have 2 3s with a right connector to get 6s . Ill do that after I get another Rig so I have something to drive when it breaks!

Last edited by AsILayDying; 09-03-2011 at 05:31 AM.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

It's not brushless, FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Why not look into getting a Holmes Hobby BR-XL Torquemaster ESC, its absolutely great for crawling and it can handle up to 6s LiPo.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Hmmm. I would say Traxxas VXL setup but the ESC is very iffy. I fried 2 of them fry the board without even getting past 1/4 trigger pull on stock gearing. One was in a Stampede and the other was in a Slash 4x4. Traxxas did warranty them but it still sucks. Ill use the VXL setup if I have it already but I wouldnt buy one when there are so many other options out there for better ESC's. Why not look into getting a Holmes Hobby BR-XL Torquemaster ESC, its absolutely great for crawling and it can handle up to 6s LiPo. My Honcho with the 1.9 Flatirons on a 3s is crazy fast, 4s is awesome and I havent even had the balls to go to the 6s yet. But I do have 2 3s with a right connector to get 6s . Ill do that after I get another Rig so I have something to drive when it breaks!
Cause the br xl isn't a brushless esc
Old 09-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I already know it's not Brushless. I'm running it in my honcho. It is plenty fast on a 27t with 3s or even faster on 4s. I was only giving the option for a esc without going Brushless. Good luck with choice you make.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Oh trust me if I talk my self out of bruchless the br xl is gonna have a new happy home lol. My other option was going with a 21t or 35t with the summit trans on a br xl esc would make a good combo. Low gear with a 35t and then I can go high gear with that 35t if I need more wheel speed... Its a big toss up
Old 09-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I want the truck to be about jogging speed in high gear. What turn brushed motor do you think would do that?
Old 09-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

My 35T on 3S is a real fast walk, so a 27T on 3S would probably be what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
I want the truck to be about jogging speed in high gear. What turn brushed motor do you think would do that?
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have many people doing this combo, Nicely priced and a kick in the pants to run

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax90014.htm

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/tra3350x.htm

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rcelp3s3400.htm
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
How much is shipping on that honcho? If you can make the total be below $249 (to washington state) ill buy from you guys. I was gonna go through ckrc for $249 shipped. My local hobby shop wants $289 haha
Old 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I run the Tekin Rs/17.5t sensored brushless in mine and I love it. I use a Novak Havok spec w/21.5t sensored in my Wifes scx10. Both are great setups with the latter being the simplest and budget friendly. If you have the coin go tekin, if you want more simplistic and budget friendly go Novak.

Just my .02
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpp Hobby View Post
that's the same ESC as the Slash has, just a different turn motor, thus why I'll probably just nab a take-off from a Slash
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
How much is shipping on that honcho? If you can make the total be below $249 (to washington state) ill buy from you guys. I was gonna go through ckrc for $249 shipped. My local hobby shop wants $289 haha
Our price on the kit is 234.99 with shipping it should be within 5 bucks of CKRC
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

I would go with rpp for the honcho all day i had some parts from ckrc take 11 working days to get here and rpp in 3 days also I live in Fl. but that is who i would use all day.
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
RCC Addict

+127213864210397 for RPPHobby.com order it with them. You wont be dissapointed, SUPER fast shipping usually to the door in 2-3 days from time of order. Absolutely great.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Sweet deal

Last edited by muddinscx; 09-03-2011 at 05:28 PM.