Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: still cant make my mind up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default still cant make my mind up

This is a build that I can't find my direction. I want it to be decent in mud, hill climbs and rocks. I know its hard to get all three. I've been talked into the vxl 3s combo. I know its not the best combo but you get the best warranty I've seen, its waterproof. The system is brushless, takes 3s lipo, the esc works with sensored. Un sensored and brushed motors. It will give me great wheel speed and its only $150. The problem now is; do I wanna go with the summit trans.. most people tell me no cause its heavy, bad cog's, takes up a lot of room, kinda sloppy and more stuff to break. Idk if most is true because I've never ran it. I got to say 80% of the people I talk to say vxl 3s- regear it if its too fast or slow, and get metal gears for the axail trans. Now this is local people but I want a few more opinions cause this build is gonna be my baby lol.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The dinky mount and summit trans will cost more than a handfull of pinions and spurs. Trial and error as well as research will go far in finding the gearing that suits you best. I run a tekin 17.5t sensored ( 2500kv ) brushless boosted and turbo'd maxed. Running on 3s and have yet to even wear the trans gears. I guess a lot depends on how well you maintain your rig. If you play in a lot of water and mud you have to do a lot of clean up and lubrication. A lot of people say to lose the slipper clutch. IMO the slipper is there to protect your entire drivetrain. In the end it is up to you. Everyone does it different. Best advice I can give is gear down, volt up. Read up all you can.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yea I think that's what I'm gonna do, gear down and volt up. I've been reading and doin my research on this 1 project so much my head hurts and my eyes are crossed lol.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have a Summit in my scaler, and like it so well that I just put one in my rig I am building for our new Extreme Trail Truck Class (mix of TTC and KOH). The ability to switch between high gear for speed and low gear for crawling is great. Yes, the COG is higher, so in my opinion, that should be the determining factor of whether or not to run it. If you run heavy wheels and a light topper, you can do pretty well with it, and I have never had a bit of trouble with mine (I drive HARD). If you need a rig you can really finesse, then go with the Axial transmission.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

I running the vxl with the robinson racing metal gears and the thng just rocks!
DinoBomb is offline   Reply With Quote