Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 suspension

Hey guys,
Just about to finish my scx kit,but i'm having doubts about the stock suspension,its to hard to my liking.It doesn't have enough "flex"
I want to change the springs on it,but i don't have any idea on wich ones to get!!Think someone can help me out with some advice??

Thanks
minicrawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #2

stock suspension..i think it has tons of flex

98ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

minicrawler1, I hear you about the flex. It does flex, but it's stiff. The red springs are softer and should help. I am going to get some for myself. Longer shocks might help as well. I saw a post about switching to something like revo ends that have metal balls helped loosen it up.

Good luck.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

red springs are good, but keep in mind that the kit includes the UPPER rear springs in red (the smaller ones), so all you need are the longer red ones.

I think one of the things for me is the shock oil is a bit thick, I might eventually switch it down to 25 or 20 weight, but Im not totally sure on this yet.
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If your going for the stock shocks........Lighten the oil lighter in the front, thicker oil in the rear. Stock is 30. Switch the springs to lighter springs in the rear and soft or super soft in the fronts.( you dont have to switch both springs) the short super soft springs come with it. Ive got alum. scx10 shock housings on 1 of my scx10s and they actually work fairly well? Ive used vanquish razors on that rig though, on the front so that helped it gave the front more travel. If that doesnt work for ya i like losi crawler shocks they work well w/ 2.2s or 1.9s.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

the stock shocks leak like mad... mine started leaking after the first run with the 30w Axial puts in them

I've since replaced them with a set of cheap aluminum 100mm (flebay special; $20 for all 4!), they don't leak a drop, and they flex like crazy

iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I still have my stock shocks on my scaler and they don't leak if you built them right. I'm using 30W and switched to the red springs all around. It helped a lot! I can flex over a can of soda. But sometimes too much flex is not a good thing.
rod-211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yeah the shocks really limit flex, they are just too stiff. I also could never get the feel I wanted out of them even with lighter oil. The solution for me would have been new springs all around, but that would of cost what 1 pair of the shocks I really wanted cost so I just bought the shocks. Hot Racing 90mm Internal Spring Air Shocks, they actually allow the axles to flex without shifting the entire truck. Really a great improvement.
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by federally View Post
Yeah the shocks really limit flex, they are just too stiff. I also could never get the feel I wanted out of them even with lighter oil. The solution for me would have been new springs all around, but that would of cost what 1 pair of the shocks I really wanted cost so I just bought the shocks. Hot Racing 90mm Internal Spring Air Shocks, they actually allow the axles to flex without shifting the entire truck. Really a great improvement.
I love those shocks. I was thinking of getting the 100mm ones for more travel. Interesting note, the Tamiya Hi Lift shocks are the same exact construction as the HR shocks, down to the little ribs on the lower end of the shock. I also like that the shafts are pretty beefy, I think they're 7mm?
Crawl Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I haven't measured them but they are huge. The shocks are a really nice mix of great looks and good performance. If you get them just make sure before you install them that you dissasemble them and put a little bit of oil on the O rings and put a ouple drops of oil inside so the piston slides nice. The softest springs they come with are way way too soft for the amount of dampening the shocks provide but the medium springs are perfect. The fact they come in a couple color combinations is a nother plus too!
federally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Stock shocks work well but leak a little hear and there even though I built them very carefully. I may upgrade to Axial aluminum bodies or all aluminum Pro-Lines later. The stock springs and oil work great for me, too much flex is not good. Remove the stock shock bumpstops for a little more travel (all you need.)
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks alot guys for all the advise!!
Now i just need to find what i want to do with my schocks!!

Thanks
minicrawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have the HR 100mm Internal Spring shocks and Im very happy with them. Actually gonna order another set for the Dingo. They do let the suspension travel without shifting the entire rig which is nice for control. Here is a pic of it flexing. You will notice in the pics that the body of the rig is actually staying pretty vertical and straight. It has helped my rock crawling capabilities (my driving is getting better too) but these shocks are worth the price. Good luck.

Last edited by AsILayDying; 09-14-2011 at 02:07 PM.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SCX10 suspension

do you have any pictures of those hot racing shocks mounted on the axles?
I cannot get them to fit on the stock place on my dingo axles...
Nelanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

minicrawler1 you can crack open the stock shock and replace the pistons wit Part # AX30132 and take a hobby knife to make the slot a bit bigger and use AE green grease too to help
CamposZac96x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

and use 50 wt oil in shocks
CamposZac96x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I'm running the 110mm rc4wd king shocks and I get tons of flex and still isn't top heavy, very very smith to.

Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogncrawl View Post
I'm running the 110mm rc4wd king shocks and I get tons of flex and still isn't top heavy, very very smith to.

Hi, I'm thinking about getting the 100mm king shocks but if I can get more flex and still not be top heavy, I'll use the 110mm ones. But do you get any serious binding in your yolks at full droop? It looks like you get tons of travel which can cause some issues in the yolks. Thanks
thekdk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I use the inexpensive Traxxas plastic 100mm Ultra XXL BB CO's
along with Losi soft (white) 4" springs

a set of four can be purchased for $25. or less
Work good... inexpensive to rebuild.

They can be fine tuned with optional pistons (1,2,3,4 hole)
Have bladders in the caps.

I use 20 wt. with the two hole pistons I when cooler.
30 wt. in the summer's scorching heat.
My junk weighs 7.5-8lbs (about).

My truck sits static at near 1/2" of squat.
keeps the COG lower.
And it articulates purdy well IMO.

More then 100mm CO's...
and I'd be looking for a riser plate to raise the upper shock mount.

pictures 'cuz I was bored...

easily flexes out for a soda can... and a little more...

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 11-16-2014 at 12:50 AM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Now that we on the topic of flex, our local group of guys have been debating just how much flex is too much. I was driven to all levels of madness once upon a time with regards to just how much flex I could squeeze out of all of my rigs. But since I got a SCX10 dingo, I've left the suspension standard, except for changing the oil.

But where do you draw the line?
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote