Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Knuckle Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Knuckle Question?

Hi guys, sorry if this question sounds a bit silly but im new to whole R/crawler thing..

Well im currently biulding up a Honcho kit and im going to fit aluminum steering knuckles and i was wondering which ones to buy?

The Axial Hi Clearance or Axial Normal ??

Cheers Clint
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

if you go the high clearance route, I think you'll also have to get some new axle shafts that use CV style joints, otherwise the dog-bone style joints will bind up at full lock steering, since the high clearance ones are going to turn sharper than the standard ones

I THINK, I have no experience to back that up other than what I faintly recall reading here on the forum
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
if you go the high clearance route, I think you'll also have to get some new axle shafts that use CV style joints, otherwise the dog-bone style joints will bind up at full lock steering, since the high clearance ones are going to turn sharper than the standard ones

I THINK, I have no experience to back that up other than what I faintly recall reading here on the forum
I was thinking the same thing so i plan to get CVD's as well...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I thought the high clearance was just to get your steering links out of the way of oncoming obstacles.
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS412 View Post
I thought the high clearance was just to get your steering links out of the way of oncoming obstacles.
turn your steering all the way to one side and look at what is stopping them from turning any further... the arm on the knuckle... move it up and out of the way of the axle, and it's going to turn farther

Sent from my space age wireless communication device.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #6

3racing ones ?
dirtyflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
turn your steering all the way to one side and look at what is stopping them from turning any further... the arm on the knuckle... move it up and out of the way of the axle, and it's going to turn farther
This is true....the stock height knuckle is what acts as the stop. However you can set your endpoints to keep from turning out of your dogbones. I run Vanquish high steers with stock dogbones and have no problems.

Another nice feature of highsteer besides the clearance you gain, is if you later decide to move your servo up onto the chassis. They help decrease the angle the drag link has to make to get to the top of the knuckle.

I'd go with Highsteer.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Definately go with the high steer version. It tucks the tie rod up a little more and allows for more steering.

You can trim down the stub axles a bit to gain more steering without buying CVD's. Somewhere on here there is a how to on it.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The problem with the stock ones is that it hits the screw that keeps your c hub on your axles. Hi steer is the way to go. I'm going got go with some axials as soon as I get alittle more cash
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys i ended up buying a set of the Axial High Clearance ones the other day...