Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx honcho kit vs rtr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default scx honcho kit vs rtr

hey guy's which is better the and what would be the better bang for the buck the rtr honcho or the kit version which wwould i save money getting the rtr and upgradeing the stuff on it aafter i figured out what i wnated ot upgrade or shoudl i get the kit and put my own stuff onto it i did well a buddy built a tundra kit for me and i woudl up really expensive with that cause i had nothing and am basically starting again here with a honcho id have to add a esc and motor and servo all that stuff thank's zach.
tundrafan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Honestly there is no real better option. Unless you already have electronics its gonna cost you more right off the bat. The rtr is $300 give or take and for the alum links its another $50. The kit is $235 with the links but then you need atleast a $30 servo, $50 transmitter and reciever and $100+ for a motor and esc combo. Yes the servo will be alittle better. The controller will prolly be the same and the motor/esc combo will be better. $415 would be your total on the kit. It can save you money if you have no use for the motor, esc, remote, reviever and servo from the rtr. But for me I can always use the spare parts for other projects or for simple back ups. So if you wanna plug and play got rtr. If you have $415 and want alittle better setup then got with the kit
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

If your bucks up???? Buy the kit, add links as needed for the desired lengths. Buy the best servo you can afford, that way you wont be buying a second servo. Get a holmes hobbys water proof speed control with whatever motor ( from them) you feel is ideal (contact them). Build it your way! Build it overkill that way you wont have to duplicate money!
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Well you can always shop around. I was able to get a Honcho RTR New for 265 since tower was running a deal at the time and had 25 dollars off anything over 200. My LHS had it for 290 and honored the tower deal. The RTR is a very good base, links are super easy and SUPER CHEAP to make. Dont waste 50+ dollars when I can make 2 sets for less then 20 and thats counting the Revo Rod ends costing 7 dollars for each pack (x2) The new ESC is a quality unit, has drag brake, can be programmed (to a point.....its a Castle ESC) it has LiPo cutoff already factory programmed and works extremely well with 2s batteries. I recieved an AX-2 2.4ghz Radio with my Honcho but was surprised and recieved the new AX-3 Radio system with my Dingo RTR, which is actually one of the better out of the box controllers for an RTR. No complaints on either if my RTR's plus now that one of the rigs is upgraded electronics and parts (ESC, motor, reciever....etc.) it gives me a reason to find a roller or try and find a deal on a kit. Since I have the extra parts I might as well get another rig to put them in....

Good luck, either way you will be happy.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Well you can always shop around. I was able to get a Honcho RTR New for 265 since tower was running a deal at the time and had 25 dollars off anything over 200. My LHS had it for 290 and honored the tower deal. The RTR is a very good base, links are super easy and SUPER CHEAP to make. Dont waste 50+ dollars when I can make 2 sets for less then 20 and thats counting the Revo Rod ends costing 7 dollars for each pack (x2) The new ESC is a quality unit, has drag brake, can be programmed (to a point.....its a Castle ESC) it has LiPo cutoff already factory programmed and works extremely well with 2s batteries. I recieved an AX-2 2.4ghz Radio with my Honcho but was surprised and recieved the new AX-3 Radio system with my Dingo RTR, which is actually one of the better out of the box controllers for an RTR. No complaints on either if my RTR's plus now that one of the rigs is upgraded electronics and parts (ESC, motor, reciever....etc.) it gives me a reason to find a roller or try and find a deal on a kit. Since I have the extra parts I might as well get another rig to put them in....

Good luck, either way you will be happy.
I went with the rtr also. It gets ya out and crawlin sooner. Get a rtr and after you upgrade all your electronics then you can buy a kit and it'll be rtr lol.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
If your bucks up???? Buy the kit, add links as needed for the desired lengths. Buy the best servo you can afford, that way you wont be buying a second servo. Get a holmes hobbys water proof speed control with whatever motor ( from them) you feel is ideal (contact them). Build it your way! Build it overkill that way you wont have to duplicate money!
x2, this is exactly what I did.

Went way overboard on everything (servo, esc, motor, batteries, etc) up front, so I know that those wont be the thing that breaks.

I just took my kit out for the first time today actually wheeling it, and man was I amazed, this thing goes anywhere!
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

well i JUST got home from the lhs maybe 30 mins ago. and im starring at my kit right now. pretty satisfied with it. the rtr just seemed like a bit of a waste. if i bought the rtr i would just end up buying servo esc and motor all over agina. why buy it twice? just my .02
baconCHDDRchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

A
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconCHDDRchips View Post
well i JUST got home from the lhs maybe 30 mins ago. and im starring at my kit right now. pretty satisfied with it. the rtr just seemed like a bit of a waste. if i bought the rtr i would just end up buying servo esc and motor all over agina. why buy it twice? just my .02
Spare parts I don't always have money to get a new servo if one breaks or esc frys or your 3yr drops and breaks your remote. I love spair parts that's why I buy the rtr and then upgrade. I've used axial servos that were spare parts for a dig. And I'm going to use my other axial servo for the summit trans for my foff build when I get the cradle and trans. The radios are great if you don't need more then 2ch (bashers for me). But everyone has there own opinions on things and some don't like to many spare parts laying around and some are richer then others so they can just go buy stuff when it breaks.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I bought the kit cause then I know it's built right. Also it comes with metal links and a clear body. Who wants a green honcho? Puke! Plus of I bought the RTR I'd have to waste my time ripping it all apart to pack it with marine grease and I'd have to buy a clear body because again green is ugly.
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinInc69 View Post
I bought the kit cause then I know it's built right. Also it comes with metal links and a clear body. Who wants a green honcho? Puke! Plus of I bought the RTR I'd have to waste my time ripping it all apart to pack it with marine grease and I'd have to buy a clear body because again green is ugly.
Id like a green honcho. Spare parts. Everyone has their own opinion on this and there is no wright or wrong answer.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Everything you stated was easily fixed.
Green body... paint it.
Upgraded Links cost me 8 dollars for a full set of Uppers and Lowers
And saying that its not built right is kindof a joke being that I could crawl with it very well right out of the box. I bought the RTR so I (I say I because its my choice just like its your choice to buy a kit) would have extra parts after I figure out what works and what doesnt. This was my first scaler and I wanted to learn about how they work before I learned how to put them together (some people do it differently) But the great thing about opinions is everyone has them but yours is the only one thats important.

But seriously these rigs are built well right out the box. Yes the kit comes with links upgraded (easily made for cheap) yes the servo could use upgrading but works fine for trail running and mild crawling (works for the time being) ESC (AE-2) is a very good ESC, its programmable, has drag brake and can run 2s with LVC built in ( i have run 3s with no issues) A lot of the newer RTR's are coming with the AX-3 like the Wraith so its a fairly nice stock 2.4 radio. Again, it was your choice but just because you bought a kit does not mean that it will be built right. built right is all relative to who thinks what right is. 10 people building the same kit will build 10 diiferent rigs. But good luck with your kit. Lets see some pics of the new rig in build process......
Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Everything you stated was easily fixed.
Green body... paint it.
Upgraded Links cost me 8 dollars for a full set of Uppers and Lowers
And saying that its not built right is kindof a joke being that I could crawl with it very well right out of the box. I bought the RTR so I (I say I because its my choice just like its your choice to buy a kit) would have extra parts after I figure out what works and what doesnt. This was my first scaler and I wanted to learn about how they work before I learned how to put them together (some people do it differently) But the great thing about opinions is everyone has them but yours is the only one thats important.

But seriously these rigs are built well right out the box. Yes the kit comes with links upgraded (easily made for cheap) yes the servo could use upgrading but works fine for trail running and mild crawling (works for the time being) ESC (AE-2) is a very good ESC, its programmable, has drag brake and can run 2s with LVC built in ( i have run 3s with no issues) A lot of the newer RTR's are coming with the AX-3 like the Wraith so its a fairly nice stock 2.4 radio. Again, it was your choice but just because you bought a kit does not mean that it will be built right. built right is all relative to who thinks what right is. 10 people building the same kit will build 10 diiferent rigs. But good luck with your kit. Lets see some pics of the new rig in build process......
+1
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old 09-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

yup thanks' guy's think ill jsut grab a tr when i do get one.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
RCC Addict

In all reallity if you dont like the gear it comes with just throw it on the classifieds for sale and get some money back for the purchase you want to make.... Just my 2 cents
Old 09-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

great sound adice got a question my lhs ahs the dingo for like 30 less doe's the dingo coem iwht longer links in the kit to make it logner wheelbase and what obut relocatin the battery mount up fornt liek the honcho thanks' zman.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Dingo kit only has the Dingo length links but you will be swapping out for aluminum made links anyways. Just make your own. Its really easy and cheap and this way you can make the lengths whatever you want. See if your LHS will match TowerHobbies, right now 25 dollars off over 200. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

okay cool well it's 289 at lhs right now ill see if he will match it thank's and what obut battery mount can i simple jsut repostion hte cross member's and make it work thank's zach.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Default Dingo is great TR

I recently bought a trial ready Dingo, and this was a pleasant surprise. Only missing threadlock on the driveshaft screws. She runs smoothly and climbs rocks like a goat. I'll be getting a second one when I have beaten the shit out of my Tamiya
stigno is offline   Reply With Quote