Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ticking sound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Default ticking sound

Hey, i took the honcho(rtr) out in the back yard and when i got out to my spot i heard a ticking sound, It didnt do it yesterday. I am going to pull one drive shaft at time and see if that is it. If anyone has had to deal with this befor or knows about any info would be awesome. Ill keep you posted.
highroller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Check your spur gear first before ya go tearing anything apart! make sure theres not something stuck between the teeth.
clayton78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Probably just a grain of sand in the spur....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton78 View Post
Check your spur gear first before ya go tearing anything apart! make sure theres not something stuck between the teeth.
took them off nothing same, came back checked for comments. Thanks!
took the end of a knife and cleaned it out no more ticking. Now I feel dumb for not checking that haha.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

my guess would have been the spur gear as well, we run in some sandy areas and often hear the ticking as well
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

while your messing with the gears, make sure you threadlock your pinion set screw. I was running a 5s earlier and popped the setscrew loose. Good thing I didnt lose it!
AG74683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Another thing I would have looked for was the set screw on the pinion hitting the spur. If you run a small pinion in say the 12 to 14 tooth range. It's easy to miss. Easy to locate too. Just check the spur and see if there are any frayed teeth. Know it was not the problem here, but just something to think about.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG74683 View Post
while your messing with the gears, make sure you threadlock your pinion set screw. I was running a 5s earlier and popped the setscrew loose. Good thing I didnt lose it!
good thing im only running a 3000MAH, for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvydty1 View Post
Another thing I would have looked for was the set screw on the pinion hitting the spur. If you run a small pinion in say the 12 to 14 tooth range. It's easy to miss. Easy to locate too. Just check the spur and see if there are any frayed teeth. Know it was not the problem here, but just something to think about.
Just checked it, tight as can be. teeth are all good its only 11 days old haha, run it every day but 2-3 so far, super fun!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Na, just saying that if you run a smaller pinion gear, the possibility of any remaining part of the set screw left sticking out of the pinion could hit the spur while it makes it's rotations. Doesn't have to be loose. Just sticking out enough and the spur and pinion are close enough that it could hit. It would not be a constant hit, just every time the part of the pinion with the set screw in it rotates around to the spur.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvydty1 View Post
Na, just saying that if you run a smaller pinion gear, the possibility of any remaining part of the set screw left sticking out of the pinion could hit the spur while it makes it's rotations. Doesn't have to be loose. Just sticking out enough and the spur and pinion are close enough that it could hit. It would not be a constant hit, just every time the part of the pinion with the set screw in it rotates around to the spur.
Ok now i see what you mean. just went and looked at it, I see what you mean how it could back out just a bit and rub. Guess Ill have to add that to the list to check. Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #11

I had a problem with the stock servo ticking and making a right old noise in the rtr kit
dirtyflakes is offline   Reply With Quote