Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My first RC Crawler and build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My first RC Crawler and build

I picked up my Honcho about 3 weeks ago and had alot of fun driving it.But I must admit it wasn't till I found this site and all of the build threads that I was inspired to turn mine out. So here goes this is what I have done to it to date. But please remember I am new to this hobby so mistakes are going to be made lol.

The first thing I changed out was the links. I swapped out the stock plastic 3 linki for a steel 4 link set. I also changed out the motor on the recomendation of someone at my LHS. But the one I threw in was a cheapy. Not happy with it at all so its going to have to be changed out when I upgrade the SC.

The next to to was the stock stearing. Swapped out the stock servo for a Hobbico Ultra Torque servo. Again replaced the plastics with alum links.

At the same time as the stearing I added a Castle BEC.

This concluded the first round of ugrades.
DaveinSac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

The last round of upgrades I did was much more involved so it took me a bit longer to make them. I started by cracking open the transmission and replacing the plastic output gear for a all steal one. I needed it to be able to handle to new steel driveshafts. At that time I turned the motor/transmission around so its facing forward now.

While I was doing all this I added larger tires. RC4WD 46.5x17.5x19 Super Swampers **EDIT** the tires are still 1.9 which I was surprised about given how much larger they were compared to the stock Flat Irons **EDIT**, as well as some Pro-line shocks.

Last edited by DaveinSac; 09-30-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looking good, I just got a honcho myself and really like it.
you might want to add a spur cover for any protection.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The third set of mods I did were possibly the most fun of all to date. I have been wanting to relocate my electronics up higher and move the battery to center down lower. So what I did is modify the stock electronics box to fit nicely and securely between the shock towers. Which moved everything up nice and high and also stiffened the front shocks.

Used some industrial velcro to attach the SC to the top and done. Also got the battery tray moved to its new home.

Heres a few of messing around in the back yard.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbing View Post
Looking good, I just got a honcho myself and really like it.
you might want to add a spur cover for any protection.
Thanks, I am hooked already. Sorry this may sound dumb but cover what why?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

how do you like the tires
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
how do you like the tires

Love them way more sticky then the stock ones that were on it. I can only imagine what they will be like once they are broke in. The 1/2 or so more ground clearance is nice too. Not to mention to me they look alot cooler.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinSac View Post
Thanks, I am hooked already. Sorry this may sound dumb but cover what why?
i think he meant this
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/ax80078.htm
rod-211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

what length shocks are you using? Also where did you get the tires?
C41xracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod-211 View Post
That would be a good idea but the scorpion drive lines are to close to the gear to fit in there. A guy I know has had this exact set up for a while now, hitting the gear has never been a problem.

Last edited by DaveinSac; 10-01-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C41xracer View Post
what length shocks are you using? Also where did you get the tires?
The shocks are Proline Power Stroke Scaler Shocks 90mm-95mm. The tires are RC4WD though I picked them up at my LHS.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Spent most of the day working and playing with my rig heres what I did today.

Did two major changes to my set up. Swapped out the stock ESC for a Tekin FX-R ESC. The other thing I did was upgrade to a Venom 3cell 5000Mah Lipo. All I can say with this upgrade is WOW. The power I have now compared to the old NiMH is just crazy. The analog reciever I am having to use since the AX-2 that came with my RTR kit smoked the moment I put batterys to it, can't handle all the power its choking down now. Axial is sending me an AX-3 or I would have had to buy a new radio set up today as well. Just have to deal with the glitching till it arives.

Also cleaned up the wiring mess I had going on under my electronics box. looks so much cleaner now.

Lastly I heated and tucked the slide rails to give me a better angle of approach on things the way it was set up was just way to wide.

Now if I can just find some local folks here in Sac to go crawling with lol. Im sure its a hell of alot more fun with more people then solo.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

The next thing I want to do to my rig is a winch. What do you guys think a premade scale winch or a servo winch? One of the next mods im going to do is frame mounted steering also. So I was thinking that there may not be room for both servos up higher the way I have my current set up? Any thoughts? Please share I definatly value the imput.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
The next thing I want to do to my rig is a winch. What do you guys think a premade scale winch or a servo winch? One of the next mods im going to do is frame mounted steering also. So I was thinking that there may not be room for both servos up higher the way I have my current set up? Any thoughts? Please share I definatly value the imput.
Servo winch, will have more torque and be faster (means less time winching, more time driving for competitions). Can also be cheaper if you have an extra servo lying around.
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #15

Tyres look sweet!

Oh and your back right wheel has the beadlocks around the wrong way.
Blkfxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkfxx View Post
Tyres look sweet!

Oh and your back right wheel has the beadlocks around the wrong way.
lol nice catch thanks. It was late when I was putting them together and didn't even notice the difference.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Nice set up Dave.

Winch servo for sure...I mount all my winch servos behind the cab when possible. Mainly so I can fit the biggest battery possible on the upper links and still have frame mounted steering.
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Behind the cab? Ive been watching you thread. Is there any pictures on there of your winch? the front end of my rig is pretty tight for space. It will be even more so when I go to frame mounted steering. *edit* never mind I just looked at your build I see what you mean. Just looking at mine trying to figure out how I could do that on mine. Was thinking of making a shelf over the top of my motor/tranny and possibly mounting the winch servo there.

Last edited by DaveinSac; 10-02-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Haven't done to much since my last update. Picked up a 3 channel Spektrum DX3C radio in preperation for getting a winch. Also relocated my electronics to a Radio Shack "project box" over the top of the motor.

Went out today to Folsom Lake there was a comp going on. Though I wasn't competing. Still had a blast crawling all over with some other scalers. Didn't take that many pictures I was to busy having a blast driving. LOL Here are the few I did take.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

I have changed alot since the last update. Most importantly the stock Honcho body is no more. I have always been a Jeep lover ever since I had my old CJ-7 1:1. But since the Proline Jeep 2 door body has such a short wheelbase, a shortenning of the links was in order. This proved quite the ordeal. Mainly because of my AX-10 steel driveshafts. At the "perfect" wheel position inside the body the angle was to sharp on the shafts. So after several attempts at making links I think I got it about as good as its going to get. Here are some pictures of the body.