Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: newbie technical question,can someone help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

Default newbie technical question,can someone help?

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the whole RC thing. I'm really diging the scale truck style as well as the rock crawlers. I'm looking into buying my very first truck and have a few questions. I really like the Tamiya F-350 high-lift as well as a few from RC4WD and one called a Komodo 2.2 XL scale truck. I notice the tamiya has a 3 speed transmission and according to the tamiya wedsite to use the Futuba 4wd controller and found out this controller is no longer made. Can someone help me choose the rite controller for this? Also,are tamiya products any good?
My follow up questions are:
How are RC4WD products?
How are the Komodo stuff? as I can't find much on the web about these,they look nice but don'y want to buy something that will break easy.
Hope there are good people out there that can help me out on all my questions,thanks so much,
Jon
crawler_fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

In my opinion if this is your first hobby grade RC and or Scaler/Crawler I would just look into getting an SCX10 Honcho or Dingo RTR. They are great little rigs right out of the box and you can get right out on the rocks with just the purchase of a battery and charger.

The SCX10 also has tons of product support from Axial as well as aftermarket. The availability is much greater for the axial SCX10 since it can also use a large amount of parts from the AX10.

You can learn a lot by getting a Honcho or Dingo and you will be happy with it's abilities right out of the box. There are also a lot of free mods you can DIY to save money and get better performance from the rig. My vote is an SCX10 base and then learn and upgrade from that.

Right now I believe if you are a TowerHobbies club member (10 dollars) you can get an RTR Honcho shipped for 250. Good luck.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #3

I thought about this truck as well but I would really like to build my rig for the experience and to say that I built my rig as I use to build model cars as a kid a loved it
crawler_fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Then buy the KIT version and just get your own electronics like a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL ESC get a nice 20t-35t motor and then your choice of 2.4ghz radio and receiver. You could have a great truck right off the bat. Good luck
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

^^^

I couldn't agree more.

I started off with an SCX10 Honcho RTR simply because I was fresh into the crawler/scaler scene and had no parts, tools, spare electronics, transmitters, ANYTHING. So I figured a complete kit would be the best for me as an entry rig. Out of the box with a cheapo Radioshack battery and charger, the thing was a BLAST! It's a great chassis to start with, and with all the upgrades available, it can be turned into a VERY capable rig!

It would be hard to jump right in and build your own rig from scratch as a first time crawler, in my opinion. I think you would learn a lot more about how everything works on it and be a lot better off getting a complete rig (or at least the kit you have to assemble yourself). Even if you do get the RTR, you end up taking the hole rig apart anyway

I use to build model cars as a kid too. Trust me, there's VERY few similarities when it comes to building plastic models that sit on a shelf and building a functioning crawler that you go out and beat on

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-02-2011 at 09:34 PM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote