Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: ever growing problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #1

Default ever growing problem

I bought my honcho telling myself if anything ever broke, upgrade it. I had the front transmission side ujoint break. so i bought hardend steel driveshafts. shortly after that one broke. so i bought another brand Integy. within five minutes one broke. i replaced it with the stock rear shaft that has yet to give me problems. the u joint pins either fall out or break. i decided to modify it by glueing the pins in the ujoint. and the u joint still broke. Ive been through 4 driveshafts that have failed via ujoint. So im asking anyone out there if they have a brand recommendation or modification tip so i dont have to shell out 20-50 bucks a week.
SCcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

What the hell are you using for a motor?! I use the junfac shafts on my tuber with a 10t cobalt puller runnung 3s and I haven't broken a thing.
Axial sells a collar that goes over the universal that keeps them together but you'll be better be better served by buying a better brand driveshaft. MIP is the best but overkill in my opinion. As I stated earlier I like junfac.

Last edited by Bukwylde; 10-24-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

mip and rc4wd punisher shafts are the strongest but expensive.
I recently switched to the mip's. Before that I was running Traxxas Maxx shafts, the best bang for your buck.
search for a thread named "maxx shafts made easy"
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here is part #
AX30493

Goes together like this

Old 10-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Another new trick I've seen is some folks are going to Wraith shafts and I think it's a straight conversion.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I run MIP's in both my SCX10's and yet to have an issue. I don't know how so many people are having issues. Hell I'm toasting motors before stuff actually breaks.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

And stay away from Integy!
rod-211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
What the hell are you using for a motor?! I use the junfac shafts on my tuber with a 10t cobalt puller runnung 3s and I haven't broken a thing.
Axial sells a collar that goes over the universal that keeps them together but you'll be better be better served by buying a better brand driveshaft. MIP is the best but overkill in my opinion. As I stated earlier I like junfac.

stock motor. only upgrades are the axial aluminum links. dont think the sleaves would help not having stock shafts.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I used the stock shafts for quite awhile and some pretty good bashing. I just recently went to Junfac after finally breaking the stock shaft. The first thing I did is take the shafts all apart and loctite the set screws in so I can hopefully not lose a pin. I also tried the heat shrink over the pins but it isn't holding up to well. I'm hoping the $34 I put out for these will be the last. Now if I can just break a knuckle then I can upgrade there as well.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Read up on my conversion. Uses wraith diff inputs, and wraith trans outputs with t-maxx shafts. All part numbers and details are in my thread. I have built over 20 crawlers, and have yet to break anything with a Maxx shaft in it. This conversion does away with the dumb set screws as well!

Pin Through Options For Drive-shafts?
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Actually the new Wraith Outdrives are drilled through. So that would do away with the set screw anyways. I drilled my RR solid outdrive and put pins and dont worry about a thing.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Something els eyou might want to consider is using the under drive ring and pinion gears int he front and rear. This will reduce the amount of torque on the drive shafts.
Stregone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

thought I'd throw this out there. if you decide to order the Wraith style trans outputs with the drilled through ends, don't just order them for a Wraith. Axial sells them for the AX10/SCX10 transmission. if you order them for a Wraith, once side will not work since the Wraith transmission has a longer front output (for a dig option)

Axial Racing - Press : AX30794 WB8 Driveshaft Set (2pcs)

me personally, I'm running a transmission pulled right out of a Wraith because 1) it came with the drilled outputs, and 2) the longer output on one side shortened up my driveshaft length where it was needed; in the rear, since I have my trans flipped around. and the only reason it was too short to begin with is because I'm using Traxxas drive shafts, which are a direct pop-in replacement to the stock Axial shafts be it a little shorter, and you can get a pack of 6 complete shafts for $10. I'm still using the original steel yokes and u-joints that came with my Honcho though; I have no idea how you can manage to snap those you're not like tossing the thing out of a moving vehicle at 30mph expecting it to hit the ground running and keep up are you? lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-24-2011 at 08:03 PM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #14

set screws havent been the problem, its the ujoint pin. and the junfac shafts failed on me. the situations that they broke were a small hill, no stress, and cruising flat ground. Might try to locktight or glue the pin in and or sucure it as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
RCC Addict

When you say the Junfacs failed, do you mean you lost a pin? Did you have the set screws on the pins loctited in?
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Buy the mip shafts, blue locktite them in. You can buy parts for these driveshafts. You could also do the punishers they are also stout, but not rebuildable and almost double the cost. Ive used the mip shafts for 2 years of beatin on and they work. I took them out of the truck a couple of months ago and only cleaned and lube them they are good.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I've broken the pins on the jundac shafts so i replaced them. I got them from a vendor, then I shattered the shaft itself!! I have nip shafts on my other truCk and those are the best out there!! You can buy parts to rebuild if you need to!! But they are probably the best set you'll ever buy!!!
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by im gunna crawl View Post
Buy the mip shafts, blue locktite them in. You can buy parts for these driveshafts. You could also do the punishers they are also stout, but not rebuildable and almost double the cost. Ive used the mip shafts for 2 years of beatin on and they work. I took them out of the truck a couple of months ago and only cleaned and lube them they are good.
I have mips on and blue locktite and no problems (and i abuse my truck) and the same with my 4x4 pede mips and never had a problem with them again, i brake everything but them on that truck too!
droppedls4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

mips on everything i own no complaints at all other than 50 bucks a set but i wont be breaking shafts anytime soon
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I hate the Junfac shafts, IMHO they are crap. Can't keep pins in them, they make to much noise (loose fitting) and the half moon spline design.....really I'll just keep it at that. Saying such a thing might offend someone but remember this is only my person opinion.

The best drive shafts for me would have to be the Traxxas 1951 Truck Long Shafts with the 4268X Hardend Steel U Joints. But at the moment i'm using the stock Axial shafts with the Traxxas U Joints and the Axial collars. With that set up I snapped a front output on the tranny and the shafts held.
IceBox84 is offline   Reply With Quote