Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: transmission output shaft :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default transmission output shaft :(

Alright so I bought some MIP drivelines and now I twisted the output shaft right off. Didn't know it was hollow. Lame.
Any how what is a good replacement? Is it even called a output shaft that connects the drivelines through the transmission.
Thanks for the help
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Check here this is how I fixed mine .
Badd's ROCKin Horse (1.9)
Might be something you could do . It is holding up well with the big tires .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Upgrade your trans internals with these. You will never have an issue again. I run them in my rigs and I am tough on my trucks.

Robinson Racing Outdrive Diff Lock Gear AX10

Robinson Racing Hard Steel Idler Gear AX10

AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have read that folks keep the plastic gears cause they are cheaper to replace than cases or other stuff. Which I was wonderin bout cause with a torquey motor was wonderin how plastic would how up. I do like the one piece gear shaft idea though.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

You could look at the new ones that are pin through. I don't know if they are hollow too though. But then you also get the benefit of better driveshaft mounting.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Upgrade your trans internals with these. You will never have an issue again. I run them in my rigs and I am tough on my trucks.

This is the best answer I've found.Make sure you buy and replace both at the same time.I made the mistake of replacing just the diff lock gear and not the idler and imedatly took out the plastic idler.I run a 23turn JPH motor on a 3 cell with 2.2 rok-loxs and MIP drivelines in my Honcho and have had no problems with the Robinson racing gears in the tranny.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Can't beat the pure quality of those Robinson racing gears. I was having the same problem with the stock outputs snapped 3, then finally went with the RR hardened one piece n idler.
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
Alright so I bought some MIP drivelines and now I twisted the output shaft right off. Didn't know it was hollow. Lame.
Any how what is a good replacement? Is it even called a output shaft that connects the drivelines through the transmission.
Thanks for the help

Well with MIP driveshafts I would upgrade the internals or you will be breaking the gears often... Replace them with the two RR parts I listed and you should be good to go. Good luck
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

cool sounds like a plan, preciate all the help. Yep thought it was funny at first tryin to catch the side of the couch so I could test out the esc n such before takin outside. didn't even hear a snap or nothin, just wonderin why it couldn't climb very easy. lifted it up and : "I'll be shucked". This rc was just to hold me over til I could wheel when I get stateside. Didn't know it come with the same ups and downs as actual wheelin.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I wonder if ya could drill though the flat part nd use a set screw pin like found on the stock bumper pins. That way it doesn't shift like just a regular set screw?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
I wonder if ya could drill though the flat part nd use a set screw pin like found on the stock bumper pins. That way it doesn't shift like just a regular set screw?
That would just make it weaker.The stockers are drilled from the inside for some stupid reason and if you drilled a hole thru it, it would just be weaker.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well with MIP driveshafts I would upgrade the internals or you will be breaking the gears often... Replace them with the two RR parts I listed and you should be good to go. Good luck
Not too sure about that. I have been using MIPs with the stock trans in my AX-10 for over three years in comps and never had any problems with the internal gears. I have had the diff gears wear out but the trans is holding up just fine.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

?
Quote:

Trust me the rrp gears don't strip out. The tranny case is like 8 buzz but that is a rare thing to strip out. Had it happen to me once. I'm very hard on my truck and have yet to mess up the rrp gears. It is just one less thing to worry about when you get bound up.

I do suggest either drilling the outputs for s grubscew or grinding a second flat spot for the extra set screw with the MIPS. Even with red locktight I always have to tighten the setscrews every run.

Last edited by toka100; 11-18-2011 at 09:34 AM.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Badd did his the same way ive done both of mine, except I used 3/16 solid steel rod. Drill both sides out, drill a hole on each side for a pin that the bearings hold in place, then drill a hole for the driveshaft set screw and your done!

Matt
66sprint6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

yep Robinson gears are on their way. reckon i'll use the two set screw theme with a dimple on each side