Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Got my first scx10, couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Default Got my first scx10, couple questions

I just picked up a scx10 for 100$. It has a novak 55t motor, novak rooster crawler, traxxis 3 chan receiver, hr internal shocks, rc4wd rims, hand brothers steering, xspede drive shafts, wireless winch, alumi links, and baja claws tires. It seems like its pretty good, but I just have a few questions. First when im driving it seems like it bucks like something is bent like the spur gear or something. Is this normal? The tire foam seems kinda soft could that cause anything? Also im getting torque twist, I read something about mirroring the tranny? How do I go about doing that? it seems like I also have a little bump steer? I also read 4 linking the rear would help. Let me kno if you have any suggestions.

Jeepguy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks and sounds like you got a really good deal!

as for the bucking your describing, do you know if the original owner ever tore the trans apart and replace the plastic final drive gear in it for an aftermarket metal one, like a Robinson Racing one? if it's not centered when the outputs are screw tight to it, it'll do that. I don't think the spur will do it, but I know that final gear in the transmission will

to mirror your trans, just remove the 4 screws on either side of the chassis that hold the center skid plate and trans mount, pull that plate out and turn it 180 degrees, and then reinstall it. it'll take the majority of the torque twist away

it's strange you're getting bump steer with the Hand Brother's servo mount setup; I've always heard that the 3 link and panhard bar setup they use works pretty good at eliminating the bump steer

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-20-2011 at 11:32 AM.
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Sorry if pics seem big im on my phone and its hard to resize them
Old 11-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post

as for the bucking your describing, do you know if the original owner ever tore the trans apart and replace the plastic final drive gear in it for an aftermarket metal one, like a Robinson Racing one? if it's not centered when the outputs are screw tight to it, it'll do that. I don't think the spur will do it, but I know that final gear in the transmission will
Idk I haven't checked tge trans yet. But it seems like its the trans or something because it spins but once it get to a spot it bucks like its off center or out of balance.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post

to mirror your trans, just remove the 4 screws on either side of the chassis that hold the center skid plate and trans mount, pull that plate out and turn it 180 degrees, and then reinstall it. it'll take the majority of the torque twist away

it's strange you're getting bump steer with the Hand Brother's servo mount setup; I've always heard that the 3 link and panhard bar setup they use works pretty good at eliminating the bump steer
I havnt checkd the trans yet, but it seems like something is out of balanced or something.
For the hand bro's steering, can I run 4 link in the rear or should I stick with 3 link?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #6

Its act as if something was out of balanced or warped, I thought to mirror the tranny, the motor should be facing forwards on the right side, so id have to flip the tranny. So just spinning the skid plate does the same thing ?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #7

I just checked the trans he replaced it with a metal gear, how should I go about fixing it?
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy19 View Post
I thought to mirror the tranny, the motor should be facing forwards on the right side, so id have to flip the tranny. So just spinning the skid plate does the same thing ?
well the trans mounts to the skid, and it only mounts to it one way. catch my drift? if you flip the skid around, you flip the trans around with it then the motor itself will be on the passenger side of the truck and the spur will be facing towards the front. you may be relocating some electronics if you do that though; looks like your ESC is right there where the spur would be after the flip

Quote:
I just checked the trans he replaced it with a metal gear, how should I go about fixing it?
take a look at how the outputs are centered with the drive gear. it's very easy to get it slightly off because the through-holes drilled into the gear for the screws to pass through are larger than the screws themselves, and if it is off to the side it'll cause a wobble and make the gear mesh get tight and then loosen up over and over again every time the gear makes a rotation, which would cause exactly what you're describing

to fix it, just loosen up the three screws, center it the best you can (I just eyeballed mine) and tighten the screws back down. I also like to use a little blue lock-tite there, just for peace of mind

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-20-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You got an awesome deal on that rig man!
As far as the "bucking" is concerned, I would suggest checking the drive shafts and make sure that they are aligned properly. When I first installed my MIP shafts I had a similar issue because my shafts were not aligned properly.
To mirror the tranny, just turn the whole skidplate 180 degrees and switch the wires on your motor to reverse the direction. That should work just fine.

I'm not familiar with the bump steer issue because I still run my servo on the axle.

Good luck and let us know if you get it fixed.

BTW... your rig is almost identical to mine

209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You got an awesome deal on that rig man!
As far as the "bucking" is concerned, I would suggest checking the drive shafts and make sure that they are aligned properly. When I first installed my MIP shafts I had a similar issue because my shafts were not aligned properly.
To mirror the tranny, just turn the whole skidplate 180 degrees and switch the wires on your motor to reverse the direction. That should work just fine.

I'm not familiar with the bump steer issue because I still run my servo on the axle.

Good luck and let us know if you get it fixed.

BTW... your rig is almost identical to mine

209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #11

Heres a video idk how good you'll able to see it bucking but its kinda bad
http://static.photobucket.com/player...120_164805.mp4
Old 11-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

if you're going to mirror the tranny (doesn't help IMO) do it right and turn the endbell on the motor, not swap the wires like stated above.

proper shocks, 4-link rear suspension, and weighted wheels will solve your tourqe twist.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't do either; just reverse the throttle on the transmitter
Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #14

Ok well I fixed my torque twist problem a little bit, but that bucking is still really there and its really bad at a slow crawl
Old 11-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I just picked up a scx10 for 100$. It has a novak 55t motor, novak rooster crawler, traxxis 3 chan receiver, hr internal shocks, rc4wd rims, hand brothers steering, xspede drive shafts, wireless winch, alumi links, and baja claws tires.
wow, bargain!
1tenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

If you do it right it will look like this, the motor is now in the front and the spur faces the back.

This took out all of my twist
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

the bucking looks like what happens when the driveshaft u-joints are maxed out. any pics of the driveshafts and the angles their running at ?
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

oh I see what you're getting at
Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda316 View Post
the bucking looks like what happens when the driveshaft u-joints are maxed out. any pics of the driveshafts and the angles their running at ?
look at his 2nd pic in the thread, looks like the rear is kinda steep.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #20

I can take a pic of them in a few, how do I correct the the angle?