Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: what type?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Default what type?

hey guys so i cant think of which link set up i should use? and whats the pros and cons between them? so which is better the: the stock 2-link trusses or the 4-link trusses?

any help would be appreciated
landcruiser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: what type?

A 4 link lets the axle move more smoothly through it's range of travel and motion, there's less chance of binding. I run a 4 link in the rear of my SCX10, but in the front I left the 3 link in place. It seems to balance it out and not let it get too flexy.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

its really going to depend on what you want to do with your rig, some CMS will only work with a 3-link, there both good but like stated above the 4-link will operate alot better
The-Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

well seeing that the truck came with the 4-link i guess i can always try it. but ya thanks guys
Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Are you aimed at performance, or strictly scale appearance? 4-Link is going to be the best performance upgrade. Not sure what you mean by 2 and 4 link trusses though. I used the included trusses to 4-link mine front and rear with custom links. It was a great upgrade!
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #6

ya and im doing it for performance. but so i used the spare links that came with the truck and there waaaaay to long my axle is pointing up to far! would any of u guys know what links i need for it?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Are you aimed at performance, or strictly scale appearance? 4-Link is going to be the best performance upgrade. Not sure what you mean by 2 and 4 link trusses though. I used the included trusses to 4-link mine front and rear with custom links. It was a great upgrade!
10-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser78 View Post
ya and im doing it for performance. but so i used the spare links that came with the truck and there waaaaay to long my axle is pointing up to far! would any of u guys know what links i need for it?
Pics might help. Cheap, simple, homemade links (8-32 rod, 1/4 brakeline,Traxxas Revo ends) work great.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I've got a dingo and I actually used the shorter plastic links in my kit for my upper links in my 4 link. It did point the pinion toward the trans out put. It should be fine though. The only thing I needed to buy was a longer bolt.

BTW. The stock configuration isn't a 2 link. Its a wishbone 3 link. A 3 link without a wishbone requires a pan hard (you typically see these on the scale rigs with CMS).

If you're looking for performance and what to chassis mount the servo, then I wouldn't 4 link the front. Your axle and steering will move in different arcs giving you bump steer. Keep your servo on your axle if you plan to 4 link the front.

I honestly don't think you'll lose any performance going with a 3 link with pan hard over the wishbone if you want a more scale look. I did notice that 4 linking my rear suspension greatly tightened up my rear suspension. It lost any rear steer that the wishbone 3 link had as far as I can see. No, not steering on the rear axle, but the way the axle arcs under your vehicle steering the rear end under articulation. You don't want that as it can walk you off your lines. If you're shooting for strictly performance and don't mind the servo on the axle, go for it.
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
RCC Addict

in the spare parts bag there should be 4 links.. 2long ones and 2 short ones. use the long one for the bottom and the short ones for the top..

i 4linked the rear of my honcho but left the 3link in the front.

NFA Fab- i think the OP means the 3 link truss and the 4 link truss. you cant have a 2 link.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX10wannabe View Post
NFA Fab- i think the OP means the 3 link truss and the 4 link truss. you cant have a 2 link.
Yeah, that would make for some sloppy suspension!
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

well ax10, thats what i was using. and so i did what u said and switched the links and it worked! but the only problem is that the front axle is to low into the chassis i actually had to cut into one of the spacers in between the frame pieces just so that the steering servo can go freely.

what type? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Bruiser type Vs The newer high lift 350 type? ProfitOfDoom General Scale Talk 13 03-18-2009 06:21 PM
What type? Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 2 10-19-2006 04:36 PM
Where's E Type R XB_BOY Chit Chat 3 08-20-2005 03:18 PM