Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Hey all, newbie here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Hey all, newbie here!

Long time R/C racer, but I'm finally looking to get into crawling. I work for bigfoot here in St. Louis, and we have a killer rock garden outside

After much research the last week, I'm going to buy an SCX10 kit or RTR (I'd like to buy a nice used one but I can't view the classifieds for 30 days ), and I was a bit confused. Does the kit come with nicer parts (I thought I heard the 4 links were nicer) versus the RTR? Thanks!

- Doug

p.s. if you know anyone with a quality used one they are wanting to part with, hit me up!
thisdougsforu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Hey all, newbie here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisdougsforu View Post
Long time R/C racer, but I'm finally looking to get into crawling. I work for bigfoot here in St. Louis, and we have a killer rock garden outside

After much research the last week, I'm going to buy an SCX10 kit or RTR (I'd like to buy a nice used one but I can't view the classifieds for 30 days ), and I was a bit confused. Does the kit come with nicer parts (I thought I heard the 4 links were nicer) versus the RTR? Thanks!

- Doug

p.s. if you know anyone with a quality used one they are wanting to part with, hit me up!
yup the kit has all the aluminum goodies, BUT the RTR has all the plastic components to do the 4 link conversion also. after a lil while of owning my RTR honcho i 4 linked the rear and its a major difference in articulation. i also run SC10 rear shocks all the way around with no oil,
welcome to the forum dont forget pics and vids when you start crawlin
DJ1522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

20 bucks gets you a star and lets you see the classifieds to buy a sweet low mile certified pre-owned scx10. Welcome to the site. Personally the kit us the way to go. Building your truck helps you learn and is half the fun.
korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks all. I'll probably just go ahead and purchase the kit. My LHS has one in stock anyways. I've built tons of kits before, and outside of the Tamiya kits (built a clod, txt, and a couple buggies and they've all never had a problem), I've had issues with bad screws/holes in every other type of kit. Is Axial a nice build with quality instructions? Tamiya's have spoiled me.

One more build question - If I buy the kit, I won't have a motor and ESC right off the bat. Is it easy to add the motor in later? I've built a couple vehicles where if you don't put the motor in when you build the main kit, you have to tear down a lot to add it in later.

Thanks again! I'll be crawlin' soon. I've been waiting about 6 years now to get involved!
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i just put my kit together and let me tell ya not one issue every screw lined up and the finish on the part is awesome very little cleaning of slag and the optoins on the scx are endless so many ways you can go with it have fun and as stated before lots of pics
snohiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Motors are really easy to swap out, only a few things have to be moved/removed. Axials instructions are great i had NO problems with my kit and their parts are spot on!
shooter125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Very nice to hear! I'll be picking up my kit tomorrow. Just to clear something up - the only kit I see on tower (and the one my LHS has in stock) is the SCX10-Dingo, NOT the Honcho, for 250. This is the kit with the 4 link goodness, correct?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I"m not 100% sure on this.. as i bought mine used but they don't come true 4 linked like people are saying to change it too. The upper link is a ''Y'' link but they come with the parts (plastic axle truss's ) to make it a true 4 link. So you would need the links ,well at least 4 upper links, as the ''Y'' upper links are too short. I have swapped mine to true 4 link tho so im sure as far as the axle truss and upper links go just not sure how the new kits come.

Also like to say on the line of motors its very easy you just put it in and make sure ur pinion is meshed correctly and then your 2 motor bolts simple bolt in.

Side note:when your assembling save some time and don't put the rubber tube/shock bump stop on. As most people just take the shocks back off to remove them later on for better flex. Also look up about mirroring the trans to reduce torque twist id say do this from the start also.
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I just bought the new version Honcho RTR (the silver body, not green) and it has a rear four-link and front three-link. It also comes with the shorter links in the parts bag to convert to Dingo wheelbase.
SP225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=DJ1522;3538344]yup the kit has all the aluminum goodies, BUT the RTR has all the plastic components to do the 4 link conversion also. after a lil while of owning my RTR honcho i 4 linked the rear and its a major difference in articulation. i also run SC10 rear shocks all the way around with no oil,
welcome to the forum dont forget pics and vids when you start crawlin[/QUOTE
Whats rtr parts tree do I need to make my rtr honcho 4 link
JtsYfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

the dingo comes with the truss and links to go four link also look into putting your servo up on the frame! looks good and i think it performs a little better also
08yfz45031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08yfz45031 View Post
the dingo comes with the truss and links to go four link also look into putting your servo up on the frame! looks good and i think it performs a little better also
I got the honcho n i am gonna do that n which kit is the best to buy 2 relocate it
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

pretty sure you can do it on both, id imagine just take the truss and links and convert it, very simple an can be down in a timely manner
08yfz45031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Bit sure Wut the trusses look like n I'm not sure I have um n my kit rtr parts
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

buy some frame rails, axles, tranny and build one up from scratch. Plus up grade from the beginning if you can afford too, it will make your wheeling time greater then repairing the stuff thats made to break
crowninshield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowninshield3 View Post
buy some frame rails, axles, tranny and build one up from scratch. Plus up grade from the beginning if you can afford too, it will make your wheeling time greater then repairing the stuff thats made to break
I got a custom tube jeep already I just wanted 2 get into the scale stuff
Old 02-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i was not aware there were so many differences between the kit/rtr. Thanks for clearing that up everyone.
flat6extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks to fellow forum user, I have an SCX10 on the way (with very low mileage)!

I'll open a new thread when the time comes, but here is the replica I'm shooting for -

As long as I've been working for 'foot, I've never seen anyone do a replica of #1 BEFORE it became a true monster. I figure the SCX10 is a great platform to do this!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #19

I have seen tires like that around too
eborgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Thats gonna be a awesome build
qwkjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Hey all, newbie here! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a newbie says hey everybody WeekendWarrior Newbie General 0 09-16-2011 06:36 AM
Newbie saying hey 8wr_zj Newbie General 11 08-03-2009 03:37 PM
hey newbie here need help!!!!!! new crawler15 Newbie General 10 10-08-2007 01:42 PM
hey newbie here skateorcrawl Comments, Suggestions, and Help 5 07-24-2007 08:27 PM
NEWBIE sayin hey MoparManiac4x4 General Crawlers 3 03-26-2004 01:40 PM