Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Loud diff gears?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Loud diff gears?

Whenever I spin my rear axle (and sometimes the front), the gears howl pretty bad. I can make it worse if I push the right tire inward... I know it's because the gear mesh becomes too tight, but I'm thinking this shouldn't happen? Perhaps it's just junk gears that were included in the kit? I'm planning on upgrading anyway, but would the hardened gears help solve this? I've taken it apart a few times thinking I put it together wrong, over/unevenly tightened the 4 main screws, and reassembled it to the point where they're only just snug, and as even as possible.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Loud diff gears?

Mine makes a noise in the rear . But if your on a budget then its just like 1:1 wheelin letter roar till it breaks.
Butcherinhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Have you added grease to it yet? You wouldn't have junk gear unless they really have gone down hill, which I don't think they have, or have you checked the bearings?
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

did you put the gasket back in? i know its thin but i have noticed it makes a difference, also make sure the pinion is set all the way in, if you have it apart just press on it real hard or if its together use a flat head screw drive between the axle housing and end of the drive shaft and pry outward this will pull it in to place, if it moves don't forget to loosen the set screw in your drive shaft and slid it back
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

It's been making the noise since I put it together. I thought I may have skimped on the grease so I bought a tub of wheel bearing grease from the parts store to replace it and not feel guilty by going heavy on it, so its got plenty of lube now. Pinion is all the way seated, as I made sure of that on my first tear down. I noticed that if I push the left side inward, I can make the noise go away, at least, tone it down to where it should be, so while the gasket is there, that gives me an idea to shim it. The gears are apparently getting too close together, so I may already have this solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcherinhd View Post
Mine makes a noise in the rear . But if your on a budget then its just like 1:1 wheelin letter roar till it breaks.
Done that too many times. I've learned that preventative maintenance is well worth the cost. lol
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You need to shim the gears.. put a shim on the opposite side that you are pushing on to make the noise. this will keep the gears from shifting to far into each other..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

You might have stripped gears.
raiders32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
You need to shim the gears.. put a shim on the opposite side that you are pushing on to make the noise. this will keep the gears from shifting to far into each other..
That's the idea. I'm just wondering whether or not I should be putting a washer in between the bearing and the carrier or if I should make a couple "gaskets" out of a sheet of paper to put in between the ring and the carrier. I'll try it out later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders32 View Post
You might have stripped gears.
No stripped gears, its made the sound since I put the kit together, and I've taken it apart multiple times between then and now.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Took a sheet of printer paper and cut out 3 "gaskets", put them on and screwed it back together. There is still noise, but its as it should be, not the loud humming I was getting from the gear mesh being too tight, and very little side to side movement as compared to before.

Loud diff gears? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diff Gears White Stripe Traxxas Crawlers 0 11-20-2010 02:21 PM
How loud are your axle gears? John Axial SCX-10 2 03-21-2009 06:40 PM
Problem: Loud metal gears Ben's Madness General Crawlers 6 11-27-2008 04:51 PM
4.1 diff gears where from? 1tuff40 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 4 08-01-2008 01:27 PM
diff gears? venom-crawler General Crawlers 2 07-10-2008 04:47 PM