Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 w/ 2 speed and dig setup- 4hi 4lo and 2wd via remote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 w/ 2 speed and dig setup- 4hi 4lo and 2wd via remote

I am working on setting up my SCX10 with the R2 transmission using the 2 speed unit as well as disconnect. Its taken a lot of careful thinking to make sure it will all function right. The biggest issue was getting around the terrible drive shaft angles from moving the outputs inward. Typically the transmission is mounted flat and the driveshafts are offset but theres no way it will work unless you stretch the wheelbase to a rediculous unscale length. Heres where im at on the truck now

Truck info:

Its 91 4Runner I built to resemble my 94 4Runner using the SCX10 chassis. I have spent many hours beefing up and fully waterproofing this truck and run it off a traxxas brushless with 11.1v lipo. I will have to post the higher res pictures of it underwater and all the hill climb/creek crossing its done. I love this thing it does awesome on the trails.

I have repainted this body 3 times, now its a 4 door

It has the RC4WD aluminum SR5 wheels and soon to be finished chrome grill set, with head lights, turn signals, marker lights, painted valence, grill and toyota emblems.

All done, time to hit the trails. Just waiting on the waterproof servos and steel driveshafts

front dig setup

Previous setup

The grill on the left is what happens when you buy a reproduction grill set. I pulled the tape off after painting the very last part and already had the marker lights and turnsignals on.

The one on the right is an original one I just got in from overseas and is in progress. I think the chrome is gonna stick much better

When I get the new stripe kit for my 94 4runner im gonna use the old stripes to recreate the graphics on the rc truck so they are 100% correct.

A peice of rebar ripped the bumper mounts so I went ahead and trimmed it off

Last edited by 4Runner house; 02-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.
4Runner house is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX10 w/ 2 speed and dig setup- 4hi 4lo and 2wd via remote

idea stealer, but great minds think alike right looks sweet
Bronco2x84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The back of your 4 runner looks way high without the back bumper. Makes your spare look like it's just floating out there. I'd try and figure some sort of back bumper for it.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

It had a back bumper until I caught a peice of rebar and it ripped the mounts off so I cut the rest off and it works great. Now I can drop off straight curbs and it doesnt get caught. Using 1.9 wheels it doesnt look so offset but I think it looks cool either way.

I have 2 more of these bodies that will be used for scaling and will have the bumpers on. This is just my trail body that will go anywhere and I dont have to worry about hanging up or rolling it down a rail road track because I use it to climb some pretty insane grades and its been rolled down many hills.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Looks really good. I seriously considered doing exactly what you did with my Dingo, but I decided that I didn't want to spend the money. However, I did get a dig and litterally finished installing it and testing it 5 minutes ago. How do you like that two speed trans?
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Is that a hard body? And where did you get it?
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiskate View Post
Looks really good. I seriously considered doing exactly what you did with my Dingo, but I decided that I didn't want to spend the money. However, I did get a dig and litterally finished installing it and testing it 5 minutes ago. How do you like that two speed trans?

Yes it is a lot of money to do it right, most of it is spent trying and testing parts to get it to function correctly. I've always wanted to build a full waterproof 4hi 4lo and 2wd selectable truck that was capable of handling loads of power and highly capable on the trails. My goal is to get the build to function perfect and share it to anyone who has been wondering how to do it and save all the time. All I have left to now is setup the servos and I will let you know the results.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
Is that a hard body? And where did you get it?
It's a polycarbonate body kyosho used to make in the early 90's and now rc4wd makes reproductions for $60. It comes with scale grill bumpers mirrors and wipers
Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner house View Post
Yes it is a lot of money to do it right, most of it is spent trying and testing parts to get it to function correctly. I've always wanted to build a full waterproof 4hi 4lo and 2wd selectable truck that was capable of handling loads of power and highly capable on the trails. My goal is to get the build to function perfect and share it to anyone who has been wondering how to do it and save all the time. All I have left to now is setup the servos and I will let you know the results.

I cant wait to see what you do with all the servo's. Hell, I just want to see video of your rig running. Its going to be awesome. You're really making me want to start another rig and I'm still working on my first one.
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I just got done installing the drive shafts and mounting the motor. I had to sand down one of the transmission case screws to make the motor fit, it's just one thing after another.

I also got the servo plate mounted and figured out how to link the servo to the dig rod in a very compact setup. My wife was hounding me to go to bed or I would have finished it lOl. Now I just need to mount the servo, connect the link and test the dig out.

The last part is gonna be setting up the Hi/Lo servo which will be super easy luckily.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Sweet looking rig man! You're gonna love the 2spd,I have the Summit tranny in mine with the dinky rc mount and it works great. It crawls real slow and goes like hell too!

Sent from my Casio Commando with Tapatalk
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Yeah the I love the transmission in my summit, if only it had 2wd selectability. Its a blast messing around in 2wd then flipping it to 4 wheel. Sooo funny locking the front axle and letting it burn out then switching back to 2 wheel, it takes off and gets sideways haha
Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Its finished! All functions great just need to add the waterproof servos and get the correct length punisher driveshafts. I will have to post some videos soon.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have been seriously considering doing this. Make sure to give us some good details and pics as well. What TX did you use for it?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 w/ 2 speed and dig setup- 4hi 4lo and 2wd via remote - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cherokee 2wd in 4lo problems slobin3d Chit Chat 16 10-24-2011 10:49 AM
Can you put a R2 2 Speed DIG Tranny in a SCX10 raolguio Axial SCX-10 16 10-21-2010 01:11 AM
SCX10 - advice on upgrades + dig setup? Halp! nos2k Axial SCX-10 3 08-17-2010 07:10 PM
single speed setup vs. speed control traxxas junky Electronics 18 08-28-2007 11:28 PM