Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Top Ten Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Default Top Ten Upgrades

Just got a new SCX-10 and was wondering what the top ten things I should buy upgrade wise for an even more trail capable vehicle? I already have done basic stuff thats free like lower battery tray, remover bumpstops, cut foams, etc.. What I'm wondering is whats worth the money, what's not, and what will break most frequently. I know this is open ended and I've read through tips and tricks I just kinda wanted a top ten.
93flareside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Top Ten Upgrades

I'd say the top few for me would be, lockers, trans gears, driveshafts, cvds and alum knuckles and
Hub carriers. That should make your truck fairl tough
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well this is a loaded question. Mods very from person persay. the common mods people do are. weight, tires, links, driveshafts electronics, shock/springs foams ect. list goes on for ever. We all have different driving styles and opinions.. one person likes star cut foams and another like dual stage foams. it all verys on your driving style and personal preferrence

Id dig in to the trans and axles for money wise. I say for the most of us the drivetrain been bulletproof is top list deal.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

thought they came with lockers
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

If your gonna throw any power to it a must is upgrading the trans gears. I installed a full set of HR hardened aluminium gears but i run a traxxas vxl for mud and trail bashing.
sec1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Making the switch from NIMH batteries to LIPO batteries, in my memory.. Was one of the best changes I made.
..and then tires.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I just got mine on the rocks yesterday but I'm looking at
  • Beadlocks
  • Tires
  • 4 way links

As far as modding without upgrading, several people believe it's a good idea to (1), eliminate the shock dampers AXA1358, and (2) close up the holes in the axles (image below)

Last edited by Axial Rose; 02-26-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
thought they came with lockers
They do. Without running a bunch of power they are fine, the main advantage why I would do it would be to get rid of some slop in the drive train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die-Laughing View Post
Making the switch from NIMH batteries to LIPO batteries, in my memory.. Was one of the best changes I made.
..and then tires.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
I just got mine on the rocks yesterday but I'm looking at
  • Beadlocks
  • Tires
  • 4 way links

As far as modding without upgrading, several people believe it's a good idea to (1), eliminate the shock dampers AXA1358, and (2) close up the holes in the axles (image below)

When you 4 link those holes will be plugged.

The list will be different for most of us. That said-
1- Lipo
2- Metal links suspension and steering
3- wheel weights
4- tires
5- better servo
6- high clearance knuckles and alum c-hubs
7- CVDs
8- OD/UD axles
9- Hardened trans gears
10- motor /esc
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

is it a rtr? if so i'd say links first, then transmission gears,tires and go from there depending on driving style and how and where you plan to run it
rebel35747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #10

Awesome thanks for all the input. The only thing I still am wondering about is transmission gears. I haven't seemed to run accross any on rpp or rc4wd or tcs. Do ax10 gears work for the scx and what other parts convert? is there a thread for these conversion parts.
93flareside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

yes AX 10 gears will work
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93flareside View Post
Awesome thanks for all the input. The only thing I still am wondering about is transmission gears. I haven't seemed to run accross any on rpp or rc4wd or tcs. Do ax10 gears work for the scx and what other parts convert? is there a thread for these conversion parts.
The ax10 scx10 transmissions are the same, along with the axles.. however the only difference in axles are the wheel hexes. the scx10 used a narrow 12 mm hex and the ax10 is much wider 12mm hex.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
dkf
Rock Crawler

The main issues I've had with mine were pretty much all output/driveshaft related. Havn't had any issues with the trans or axles but I'm only running 2S with a 35t handwound. The stock axles are pretty strong in my experience. I did machine the front axles to get a little more steering where the dogbone mates with it. I'm going to pick up a set of high steer knuckles next to add a little extra steering.

The driveshaft upgrades I did. (Also have the axial driveshaft rings but not really needed with the Traxxas shafts)

Axial Steel Outdrive Shaft Set (2) [AXI30435] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
Traxxas Half Shafts Long Truck (2) [TRA1951] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
Axial 3x2.5x11mm Screw Shaft (10) [AXIA0175] | Hardware & Fasteners - A Main Hobbies

I have to drill the outputs on the front and rear diffs yet to accept the screw shafts. I could buy new ones but I'll just pick up a carbide drill and drill them out.

Last edited by dkf; 02-26-2012 at 04:58 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Jus
I wanna be Dave

What motor/battery are you going to be running? Type of terrain? Tires??

How much money do you want to spend?

How much abuse do you like to dish out? Driving style?

You can spend/save as much money as you want depending on the answers to my questions.

Much that is suggested is a complete waste of money if you're an easy going trail runner on 2s lipo or nimh and a 35T-55T Integy motor.

Suspension upgrades are good because it helps the performance of the truck.. 4 link.. Stronger link material.. Good snug rod ends.

Aluminum steering knuckles aren't a terrible idea but aren't needed unless you've got a powerful servo and are going to put the truck into binds on the rocks. Stock plastic will flex and make the steering feel a little mushy and may snap. I wouldn't worry about alumimum C Hubs unless you've already got the knuckles and are getting more aggressive in your driving.. I've never needed them personally, even with a 300oz servo on a dedicated rock crawler.

Stock driveshafts are good to go outside of high torque handwound motors or brushless on lipo. The grub screws can be annoying though and are reason enough alone to change out to something else. Something I do with my stock shafts are run the short 3mm motor mount bolts on the trans side to secure the driveshafts to the tranny outputs.. This is where the grubs almost always loosen first and you can really crank them down tight without stripping the socket.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I like this, good stuff to know ..
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #16

Put the front lower links in place of the rear lower links and get the short links from the extra parts bag and put those in the lower front. This angles the axles upward just a little, enough to get the driveshafts up out of the way and puts them at a really nice angle.
10yearrx7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Top Ten Upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Top Upgrades for the Scx-10 Twztid Axial SCX-10 15 12-23-2011 05:15 PM
Favorite College Football Team Ranked in the Top Ten! EverettY Chit Chat 38 11-16-2011 10:36 AM
top 10 upgrades jwilli2213 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 10-20-2007 12:28 PM