Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to the Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #1

Default New to the Forum

Im new to the Forum and new to scale rockcrawling. I bought a New Bright TJ body to place on my SCX10 and I was wondering about if anyone had any ideas on fitting it to the Axial frame.
Jeepaholic0173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepaholic0173 View Post
Im new to the Forum and new to scale rockcrawling. I bought a New Bright TJ body to place on my SCX10 and I was wondering about if anyone had any ideas on fitting it to the Axial frame.
Welcome, do some time looking and searching the build threads but I had to cut my scx chassis down when I built my tj. Here's my build on it.

Scx10 TJ 1.9
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Howdy! I'm doing a TJ build right now. Starting with an scx10 chassis, I've moved the trans mount and rear shock towers 1/4" forward each. I've cut ~1.5" off the rear frame rails and ~3/4" off the front. I'm using an rc4wd R2 tranny and t-rex 60 axles. My lower links came out to 65mm rods with traxxas ends, uppers are 55mm.

My goal is to try not to trim the width of the flares if I can help it but I'll trim off the outer lip. I have the TJ body with the toolbox in the rear instead of a seat, so I cut out the body inside the toolbox portion and the shocks/towers fit nicely inside. With only that mod to the body it sits about 1/2" above the frame below the doors. My wheelbase came out almost spot on. I just have to adjust the rear pinion angle a bit.

That's where I'm at right now. Playing around with the suspension on my desk, I may move the tranny back to the stock location and make longer front, shorter rear links.

My biggest dilemna has been what color to paint the TJ. lol
Dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

I actually painted mine but now I have to cut it up, if I can firgure out how to post a pick I would.....LOL good thing I was going for an appocolypse theme.....I just bought the frame set now waiting for the rest of it to come in. I was a little hesitant on cutting the frmae but I am a die hard Jeep owner so that is all that willl be on the frame so I think I will cut it up. As far as moving mounts forward a bit, did that help with getting body to fit the wheel base correctly?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Disregard the wheelbase question, LOL I missed that part in your post.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

To post pics you have to create an account on an image hosting site such as Photobucket. Then you upload your pics to that and copy the link to your post here and viola! Pics!

Apocolypse theme sounds cool. I've been debating a zombie hunter theme myself. lol

As far as cutting the frame rails goes, you basically just remove the front and rear bumper mounting holes. I reshaped the stock front bumper mount to fit the next set of holes in the frame where the cross brace goes.

I played around a bit with mine last night and ordered the final parts I need to make it a roller. After modifying the axial trans mount to fit my R2, I found I had to cut out a bit of the floor of my TJ body right in front of the seats. I have a feeling more may have to go when I get a motor mounted up.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here's mine from a couple years ago . . . the body stayed on great using Velcro until I rolled it 18 feet down a rocky hillside . . . that was not very fun to watch.

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:12 PM   #8

That sucks, I imagine that couldnt be too much fun watching all that work get scratched up.....the pic is nice though.

Here is a pic of my paint job, first time using airbrush......

Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeman View Post
Howdy! I'm doing a TJ build right now. Starting with an scx10 chassis, I've moved the trans mount and rear shock towers 1/4" forward each. I've cut ~1.5" off the rear frame rails and ~3/4" off the front. I'm using an rc4wd R2 tranny and t-rex 60 axles. My lower links came out to 65mm rods with traxxas ends, uppers are 55mm.

My goal is to try not to trim the width of the flares if I can help it but I'll trim off the outer lip. I have the TJ body with the toolbox in the rear instead of a seat, so I cut out the body inside the toolbox portion and the shocks/towers fit nicely inside. With only that mod to the body it sits about 1/2" above the frame below the doors. My wheelbase came out almost spot on. I just have to adjust the rear pinion angle a bit.

That's where I'm at right now. Playing around with the suspension on my desk, I may move the tranny back to the stock location and make longer front, shorter rear links.

My biggest dilemna has been what color to paint the TJ. lol
Where did you mount your motor. I would like to mount mine in the front but Im not sure I could pull that off and if I keep it where it is I will end up chopping up the console and seats......
Old 02-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Day-um, very nice - I like it!
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That looks pretty sweet.

Quote:
Where did you mount your motor. I would like to mount mine in the front but Im not sure I could pull that off and if I keep it where it is I will end up chopping up the console and seats......
I haven't mounted up a motor yet. Right now its set up to the rear. With how much I shaved out of the mount it sits pretty low. It looks like the floor will sit right on the motor. If I have to cut any more floor out, I might lower the tranny mount to below the chassis line.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeman View Post
That looks pretty sweet.

I haven't mounted up a motor yet. Right now its set up to the rear. With how much I shaved out of the mount it sits pretty low. It looks like the floor will sit right on the motor. If I have to cut any more floor out, I might lower the tranny mount to below the chassis line.

Yeah thats the only thing that is holdin me up. I dont really wanna cut a whole lot and Id like to mount it in the front but it would be alot of work and I dont know if I could pull it off since it is the first time I am doing this type of mod.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #13

My new paint.....got away from the black look......

Photobucket

Last edited by Jeepaholic0173; 02-28-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #14

Photobucket

Last edited by Jeepaholic0173; 02-28-2012 at 10:25 AM.

New to the Forum - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New French rc crawler - trial forum / Nouveau forum francophone SilverRidge Outside the US 11 06-30-2011 06:58 AM
new to the forum rcmaineiac General Crawlers 6 10-27-2007 07:19 PM
New to this forum... TacoCrawler General Crawlers 5 09-17-2006 05:49 PM