Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Sway Bars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sway Bars

I was just curious if any one was making some SCX-10 specific sway bars. I've done some searching and I just come up with Wraith stuff. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to adapt wraith stuff or to make my own if all else fails.
Optiskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Sway Bars

Might as well take out your shocks and replace them with turnbuckles at the same time. Why on earth do you want to put swaybars on an SCX10?
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiskate View Post
I was just curious if any one was making some SCX-10 specific sway bars. I've done some searching and I just come up with Wraith stuff. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to adapt wraith stuff or to make my own if all else fails.
Why would you install sway bars on your scx10 ?? what would be the benefit ?
xslashguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

^ depends on what your scx is setup for. most likely he's doing some high-er speed activity vs crawling and needs to keep the body roll down so he doesn't flip it every time he wants to turn at speed. sway bars should also give more scale points since it's a real thing on 1:1. my 8.5lb rig will easily roll if i crank the steering at decent speed with my setup (stock RTR axial 27t w/boggers and higher than stock COG). even when my honcho was fully stock i could easily roll it in a turn at full throttle.

i'm sure you can easily adapt a swaybar onto the scx10. issue i see is there's just not as much room between the axles for stuff like this vs the wraith's nice, wide axles. you could also try putting stiffer springs or heavier weight oil in your shocks to see if that helps with the body roll before trying to adapt something that may or may not work/fit.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
^ depends on what your scx is setup for. most likely he's doing some high-er speed activity vs crawling and needs to keep the body roll down so he doesn't flip it every time he wants to turn at speed. sway bars should also give more scale points since it's a real thing on 1:1. my 8.5lb rig will easily roll if i crank the steering at decent speed with my setup (stock RTR axial 27t w/boggers and higher than stock COG). even when my honcho was fully stock i could easily roll it in a turn at full throttle.

i'm sure you can easily adapt a swaybar onto the scx10. issue i see is there's just not as much room between the axles for stuff like this vs the wraith's nice, wide axles. you could also try putting stiffer springs or heavier weight oil in your shocks to see if that helps with the body roll before trying to adapt something that may or may not work/fit.

I was mostly curious. Most of my experience in wheeling is with the 1:1 stuff, not RC. You're probably right about space for swaybars. I might just try to run heavier shock oil in the front and keep my rear as it is. The rear feels great. I'm running super soft uppers and soft lowers front and rear. My front cycles wildly easy. I might also try the medium lowers up front as well. Definitely more easy and cheap than adapting a sway bar for sure, but like I said, I was curious, especially if it gave the suspension a more balanced feel from front to rear. Thanks man!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

If you're still curious to try sways, try searching for trans mounts/skids. I saw one recently came with sways for the ax10.

I have NO idea where I saw it though as I hit way to many sites looking to blow money. lol
Dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Kaneohecrawler made a set. Read the thread to see why. I'm designing mine as I type for the same reason.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-s...p-pics-16.html
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Kaneohecrawler made a set. Read the thread to see why. I'm designing mine as I type for the same reason.

Thanks man. I really appreciate the link. Hes pretty much running his for the same reason I was looking at a set. Only my front end is way loose, not my back end. I could actually run softer in the back end if I wanted. It would be nice to have the suspension a bit more loose than most people like, but eliminate or massively reduce the urge to roll on climbs and in the off camber. Tons of flex is over rated. If I could wind up with as much as I have now or a little more it would be nice, but much more would be useless. I think with a properly setup swaybar I would wind up not losing anything or very minimally limiting the suspension. Its really a matter of arm length and a finding the right bar to make it work right.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I'm using .055" piano wire and custom arms. The arms will be drilled at different intervals so that I can tune the length. Should be pretty easy to make. Will see how far I get today. I'll post pics.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I use a set of......metal coat hangers. Wife was tossing some out and I snagged them. Works perfect and FREE. Cut up a few lengths and screwed on some Tamiya 5mm ball ends till I got the length/feel that I wanted, and soldered the ball ends on. Then just used standard 5mm ball cups and a turnbuckle for the linkage. Figured if I didn't like it, I could take it off and I'm out only the ball cups.

not my SCX, but you get the idea.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I use a set of......metal coat hangers. Wife was tossing some out and I snagged them. Works perfect and FREE. Cut up a few lengths and screwed on some Tamiya 5mm ball ends till I got the length/feel that I wanted, and soldered the ball ends on. Then just used standard 5mm ball cups and a turnbuckle for the linkage. Figured if I didn't like it, I could take it off and I'm out only the ball cups.

not my SCX, but you get the idea.

Cool idea. How does it work with the coat hanger? Is it too stiff? I know the longer the arms, or in that case wire after the bend, the more leverage the axle will have over the swaybar itself (the center piece that resists the twisting motion). Is the coat hanger wire too stiff and/or does the wire after the bend flex? I'm just curious. It is an option for me and it would be really easy.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'm using .055" piano wire and custom arms. The arms will be drilled at different intervals so that I can tune the length. Should be pretty easy to make. Will see how far I get today. I'll post pics.

Post pics if you can. I'm really curious how your sway bar turns out. I can build my own, but I'd like to source out the arms. I could build them, but the mill I have access to isn't accessible right now due to some renovations and my time has been limited lately.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Here ya go:

I'll post a few more pics and part descriptions in the thread thats in my signature. In short, fairly cheap and easy. Makes a huge difference in the rig's stability.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #14

Quote:

thats a cool link. i could see were it could help. i might try and build some and see what it will do on my rig.
grass hopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sway Bars - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sway Bars Slowsteve Axial Wraith 8 08-22-2011 11:59 AM
anti sway bars? terrible Axial SCX-10 0 04-16-2010 04:27 PM
TXT Sway bars Jeephead Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 01-16-2010 09:07 AM
Sway bars on a slash slobin3d Non Crawler RC's 7 03-01-2009 04:28 PM
Sway bars on txt-1 TXT-1Tyler General Crawlers 1 01-18-2005 07:57 PM