Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix

I have been having a issue lately with my RTR Honcho. It has all stock electronics. Axial AE-2 ESC, Axial AS2 servo, and no BEC. When I am using my 8.4V 5000mah battery the throttle and steering become very glitchy. The battery is fully charged and this happens within the first couple minutes of driving. Almost like they are not responsive at all. If I apply full forward very fast the truck will go forward at full throttle. But if I apply throttle slowly and using steering, the truck almost doesnt respond at all sometimes. Then again sometimes when I apply full throttle the truck will move at a very slow speed. When I am using my 7.2 4200mah battery, the trucks resonds as it should. So I have been doing some research. I calibrated the ESC and then turned off LiPo voltage cutoff. From the factory, the voltage cutoff is in the on position. After the recalibration and turning off of the lipo low voltage, the truck and electronics now preform like they should using the 8.4v battery. I believe the Lipo cutoff being on as a default setting was causing problems with a 8.4v. Also, I know I need a BEC. haha. I have seen that covered multiple times on this forum and I believe that would help also. I have one on order that should be here soon.

I just thought I would share this in case someone else experiences the same problems or issues. I searched the forum many times before posting this. If there is a thread about this already, please move this to the correct thread. I just thought this may be helpful for others. I have copied the procedure below that I used. I used the manual settings as I dont have a castle link.

Manually programming Axial’s AE-2 ESC
Here are a few tips for programming Axial’s AE-2 ESC, without a computer or “Castle Link”.
You can manually adjust 3 of the most important settings in the AE-2 ESC.
1. Lipo Cut-off
2. Drag Brake
3. Reverse
Manual programming
Follow these steps to change settings on your Axial AE-2 ESC without a computer.
*Remove your pinion gear before calibration and manual programming as a safety precaution!*
STEP 1: Start with the transmitter ON and the ESC switched OFF and not connected to the battery.
STEP 2: Plug a battery into the ESC. Hold full throttle on the transmitter and turn the ESC switch ON. After a few seconds you will get the four rings in a row signaling full throttle calibration. Keep on holding full throttle. After a few more seconds, you will hear another four rings in a row. After the second group of four rings, relax the throttle to neutral. If you have successfully entered programming mode, the ESC will beep twice, pause, and repeat the two beeps.
STEP 3: The programming sequence is always presented in sequential order and always starts with the first setting (None) within the first section (Voltage Cutoff). The first beep(s) signifies which section of the programming you are in and the second beep(s) signifies which setting is waiting for a “yes” or “no” answer. As you go sequentially through the options, you will need to answer “yes” by holding full throttle, or answer “no” by holding full brake until the ESC accepts your answer by beeping rapidly. Once an answer has been accepted, relax the throttle back to neutral for the next question. After a “no” answer is accepted, the ESC will then present you with the next option in that section. After a “yes” answer is accepted, the ESC knows you aren’t interested in any other option in that section, so it skips to the first option in the next section.
Settings and explanations
The following section explains all the settings available to you via manual programming and what each one does to change the reactions of the ESC in order to tune it to your specific preferences. More settings are available via “Castle Link”.
1. Cutoff Voltage
Sets the voltage at which the ESC lowers or removes power to the motor in order to either keep the battery at a safe minimum voltage (Lithium Polymer cells) or the radio system working reliably (NiCad/NiMH cells).
Setting 1: None
Does not cut off or limit the motor due to low voltage. Do not use with any Lithium Polymer packs!
Use this setting ONLY with NiCad or NiMH packs. With continued driving, the radio system may eventually cease to deliver pulses to the servo and ESC, and the vehicle will not be under control.
You will irreversibly damage Lithium Polymer packs with this setting!
Setting 2: Auto-LiPo (Default)
This setting allows you to go back and forth between 2 and 3 cell LiPo packs without having to change the cutoff voltage for each one. The ESC automatically sets the cutoff voltage correctly for a 2 or 3 cell pack when that pack is plugged in.
2. Drag Brake
Sets the amount of drag brake applied at neutral throttle to simulate the slight braking effect of a neutral brushed motor while coasting.
Setting 1: Drag Brake OFF
Vehicle will coast with almost no resistance from the motor at neutral throttle.
Setting 2: Drag Brake 15%
Very Low amount of braking effect from the motor at neutral throttle
Setting 3: Drag brake 25%
Low amount of braking effect from the motor at neutral throttle
Setting 4: Drag Brake 40%
More braking effect from the motor at neutral throttle.
Setting 5: Drag Brake 50%
Fairly high braking effect from the motor at neutral throttle.
Setting 6: Drag Brake 100% (Default)
Full braking effect from the motor at neutral throttle.
3. Brake / Reverse Type
Sets whether reverse is enabled or not, and exactly how it can be accessed.
Setting 1: Reverse Lockout
This setting allows the use of reverse only after the ESC senses two seconds of neutral throttle. Use it for race practice sessions and bashing, but check with your race director to see if this setting is allowed for actual racing.
Setting 2: Forward/Brake Only
Use this setting for actual sanctioned racing events. Reverse cannot be accessed under any circumstances with this setting.
Setting 3: Forward/Brake/Reverse (Default)
Reverse or forward is accessible at any time after the ESC brakes to zero motor RPM.
Axial Car ESC Programming Reference:
1: Voltage Cutoff
Option 1 : None
Option 2 : Auto-LiPo (D)*
2: Drag Brake
Option 1 : Disabled
Option 2 : 15%
Option 3 : 25%
Option 4 : 40%
Option 5 : 50%
Option 6: 100% (D)*
3: Brake/Reverse Type
Option 1 : Reverse Lockout
Option 2 : Forward/Brake Only
Option 3 : Forward/Brake/Reverse (D)*
(D)* = Default setting from the factory

So the settings I have applied to my ESC are

Option 1 = 1
Option 2 = 6
Option 3 = 3
waterboij23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #2

Lightbulb Re: RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix

Dude too much info
MRTEXAN80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTEXAN80 View Post
Dude too much info
yes it was lol
chazekxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #4

Default Re: RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix

Alot of info but very usefull Bought a 7 cell for my scx10 and had same problem now it runs great Thank you!!!!!!!
RiverRider779 is offline   Reply With Quote

RTR Honcho w/stock electronics, 8.4v throttle and steering "glitchy" w/fix - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poppin stock shocks....and what I did to "fix" em. The Modfather Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 06-11-2008 01:46 PM
Axial Scorpion Lizard Tires "In Stock" and "Shipping" 6/26/07 **RCP Crawlers** Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 6 06-27-2007 10:33 AM