Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Crawl Space Dawn Patrol Defender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Crawl Space Dawn Patrol Defender

Time for another build from The Crawl Space

I gotta say this one took way longer than I expected, the project was shelved at least 6 times to take care of service work on customers rigs but that what we're here for, customer service

I've been wanting to build a 1.9 rig for a while and Tiff was cruzin' the local craigslist and found this rig for sale and I was struck with some inspiration.

I personally like to use hardbodies for scale builds so I picked up this wrangler body and poached a bed from a honcho for a quick mock up.

The bed wouldn't mount up to the body without some heavy modification so I put that to the side, but I'll use it as a model for the tube bed later.
I scored a used SCX10 frame and axles from a buddy and had most of the parts to start.

As some of you know us guys from Hawaii like to run our tires wide and this build will be getting the same treatment. I had a couple stock SCX10 beadlocks laying around and made up some double wide wheels for mock up.

Now on to the body work. I wanted a Jeep cab kind of like an old scrambler so I got out the dremel and razor knife.

I cut just behind the front widow and the door line.

Cut to the rear window "body post".

Got some old styrene sheet cut to mate the 2 body pieces back together.

I picked up some hardcore 2-part plastic epoxy from Ace hardware that was easy to work with and bonded well to the plastics.

I cut up some Dingo fender wells for a more wide look and just cool factor

I patched the body with some Bondo and did quick coat of primer to get an idea of what I had.

That all for now. This is going to be a pic heavy thread and hopefully this build justifies it, thanks for looking more to come soon
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Crawl Space Dawn Patrol Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvghostrider View Post
Already hooked. Can't wait for more. Other plans for the build?
Right on, thanks man.
This truck is built and in testing mode right now, I just didn't want to bog down the thread with a ton of pics in the first post. I'll be posting more pics and tech soon when I have the time. My wife Tiff has got me working on another scale rig Can never have enough scaler in my opinion
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
NJK
Quarry Creeper

Please post the pics I wanna see how it looks with your wide rims.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #4

Looks a bit like an old Landcrusier form the side, pretty sweet mate
tractionaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Looks promising.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
Please post the pics I wanna see how it looks with your wide rims.
Soon bruddah, soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractionaction View Post
Looks a bit like an old Landcrusier form the side, pretty sweet mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
Looks promising.
Thanks guys
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I figured I better jump on getting this thread posted up before I get started on the next build.

You saw the axles and chassis in the jig for the body mock up so I'm not going to waste time and space goin over setting up the truck.
I will mention I'm running the STRC Wraith lower links drilled out for 4mm hardware, I like the look and they are beefy.

Axles mounted to the chassis, wheelbase sitting at 13.5"

Body, mock up wheels and spare for an idea of things to come.

Wide tires for my Hawaii boys back home

Next step was to address the steering. I decided to do a chassis mount servo for the first time and I think it came out pretty good.

I also pulled the trigger on the "AXR" mod for some crazy steering and I also traded out the SCX10 shocks for some big bores wrapped in Losi gold springs and filled with 25wt. oil to start.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Wheels and tires for the Dawn Patrol

Thanks to Juan of Underground Crawlers for making me fall in love with the 1.9 pitbull tires, which were pretty much the basis for this build

I wanted to stretch the PB's to a respectable width but Juan didn't have enought time on his schedule to cut any wheel spacers so I decided to give it a shot

I found that 2" PVC pipe couplers are about the size of the spacer for the RC4WD Pro 10 beadlock wheels I'll be using but they needed to be milled down to seat the tire bead.

I don't have a lathe but I did have a cheap trim router sitting in the shop.
I set up the fence on the router and checked the depth on the bit and got to work.

Don't try this at home kids!! The router is fast and if the material isn't set completely straight on the router the bit will grab and throw the PVC across the room. I got around this by "pulsing" the on/off switch to control the speed of the router, it took me about 45 mins. to cut all 4 spacers.

1 spacer finished with a little chunk missing from getting caught in the router

Thanks to Eddie of Crawler Innovations for some custom cut close cell foams, I did have to cut them down a bit to fit the stretched tires but the closed cell foam is super easy to work with.

Channeled the edge of the foam to accomidate stick-on weights for the front.

Wheels and tires mounted up and its starting to look like something

Thats all for today, thanks for looking
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Cage and bed work for the Dawn Patrol.

I wanted to try my hand at brazing and I got alot of help and info from friends and others builders, but one late night, improper torch set up, bad solder and a really good burn staved me off of brazing for the time being.

What I did come up with is delrin rod I figured it would be easier to work with and keep weight off the the top of the rig.

Started with the "tube work" aroung the cab to help get it in position with the frame.

Next was the rollbar. Its sitting alittle cocked but I figured the braces would pull everything together in the right direction.

This is the point where everything started coming together.
I did a quick light bar with more delrin rod and started on the lighting system and electronics.

Got some of the scale accessories on so I knew how much room I had to work with.

Dawn Patrol V1.0 :thumbsup:

Lets just say I won't have any problems seeing anything on the next night run

Thanks for looking, more to come
Old 06-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Wow that's bright! Good idea with delrin, how'd you bend it? A little heat?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Wow, badass lookin rig..great idea cutting that body, kinda looks like a scrambler..a very cool scrambler.
xjcralwer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Wow that's bright! Good idea with delrin, how'd you bend it? A little heat?
Yup! lit up like a smurf Christmas tree
I picked up a cheap heat gun at harbor freight and set it up to heat the delrin rod before I worked with it. I learned real quick that the outside of the rod will burn before its heated all the way thru so keeping them heated and warm before any bending works best. Once the bend are made and mocked up on the truck I would cool it with a wet wash cloth.

I don't know if thats the right way to do it but works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcralwer7 View Post
Wow, badass lookin rig..great idea cutting that body, kinda looks like a scrambler..a very cool scrambler.
Thanks man. I was going for something different for this build. It was a little scary cutting into a $40 body so there was lots of pre-planning and drawing before the first cut and I'm happy with the results.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Alrighty gang, did a quick test and tune at the shop and was happy how the truck handled on some very aggressive rip rap.

MY GOD I love these tires!!! Pulled some lines my class 3 rig had trouble with

Got the truck out for a comp and it did well for its first time out on grouted boulder terrain and water.
It was also my first time running a 1.9 rig in an event so there was a bit of a learning curve as in I needed to pick my lines better over driving a 12lbs. 2.2 rig and rumbling over everything

I did however fry the lighting system and a little while later the ESC and BEC! This was an expensive lesson in properly waterproofing ALL your electronics!

Anyway, I had extra an extra ESC and BEC at the shop and decided to upgrade my axles and fix the bump steer from the c hassis mount servo with a panhard set up. I've always said go big or go home so I pulled the trigger on a a set of the new VP AX axle housings and all the trimmings
I also scored a set of overdrive gears from a buddy and stepped up to the Hot Racing one piece diff lockers in the front and rear.

You will have to grind on the shock/link mount just a bit for it to fit if you are using the XR c-hubs

Had to use the Wraith diff covers, a set of ARB diff covers are in the mail.

Thats all I've got for now. I'll post more pics of the panhard set up when I get some more time. I know Vanquish is working on a panhard set up for the thier new axles so keep an eye out for that.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Well the panhard didn't work out too well so I'm not going to go into details with how I destroyed it I will say I 'm sticking with the chassis mount servo and the 4 link up front and I got used to the minimal bump steer it had. The truck is finally all together and I'm happy with how its running after redoing the front links. I got the ARB diff covers on and off to the scale comp we go!

We had a scale comp this weekend and its was hot as blazes, but we all stuck it out and had a good time none the less. The rig did really well and I managed to pull out a 2nd. place
I will say the VP axle cases hang up on alot. It was a bit annoying at first but I got used to picking my lines better and working the steering a bit more to get out of any hang ups.

Anyway on to some pics, thanks to Skidplate for snappin' some great looking pics

"Defend Aloha" thats how we roll at The Crawl Space.

I actually debeaded a tire on course! These Pitbull tires have grip for days, wet or dry!

The 13.6" wheel base and 50+ degrees of steering from the AXR mod helps move thru tight courses.

Fortunately all the time I spent waterproofing paid off. I dunked the truck and did a quick river run and no problems with any electronics.

Thanks everyone for checking out this thread and the kind words. Tiff is buggin' me to start her next scale rig, so back into the shop I go. Kkeep an eye out for the next build from The Crawl Space
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Awesome build man! Any idea where I could find more info on the "axr" steering mod? I tried the search but, you know how that goes:^(

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxfunk View Post
Awesome build man! Any idea where I could find more info on the "axr" steering mod? I tried the search but, you know how that goes:^(

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
Thanks man.

For the "AXR" mod you will need a set of XR front universals part #: AX30563 a pair of XR c-hubs, either stock plastics; part #: AX80062 or the Vanquish XR c-hubs and a pair of XR knuckles, plastic set; part # : AX80041 or Vanquish Wraith knuckles (I prefer these because you don't need to cut the forks off the back.)

You will need to grind the larger key tab on the ends of the AX axle housing and the thinner "fins" on the ends of the axle housing will key into the splines of the c-hubs. Be careful when you drill the new holes to fasten the xr c-hubs to the housing, don't want to get into the bearing seat or drill where the housing halves come together.

Depending on how hard you drive your truck you may need to install beef toobs to reinforce the axle housing.

You can also check out C*H*U*D's sporty rig thread in the AX-10 sub forum. He has good tech on how he put his together
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Somehow I missed this thread when you first started it.

This thing turned out great, and since you were the only one to Ace my course yesterday, I'd say it runs great too

Nice job Ikaika!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Awesome build.! I love it.! Like the new tires on your fb.
Rivas Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quick update since I've made a few changes.
The bump steer with the chassis mount servo seemed to get worse as a drove the truck harder each time I took it out so I finally found some time to fab up a custom panhard set up.

Also decided to run 2.2 Pit bulls and some CAC beadlocks I had laying around and I'm very happy with the how to truck looks now and it crawl pretty good too

I used some 16 ga. steel for the chassis point and 1/8" aluminum for the axle point. I basically just eye balled it and it came out perfect

No binding thourgh the full suspension cycle and still get all the crazy steering from the AXR mod

I did limit the shocks a bit to lessen the tire rub in the fenders but it still handles the rocks at the shop very well.

If it hasn't been said already the Pit Bull tires are awesome! coupled with the Crawl Innovations DD foams they can handle everything I throw at them
Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
RCC Addict

That looks like fun place to crawl! and those are huge tires
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closed cell foams, pit bull tires, rc scaler, scx10, the crawl space

The Crawl Space Dawn Patrol Defender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First scale build....."Dawn Patrol" 72Blazer 2.2 Scale Rigs 24 04-22-2007 10:05 PM
Dawn Patrol JasonInAugusta Videos! 29 12-02-2006 08:28 AM
CSRA Dawn Patrol JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 12 11-26-2006 10:46 PM