Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What motor and esc to run

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What motor and esc to run

OK i have a scx10 on wraith axles and 2.2 pitbulls and i love to bash crawl and Mud till my motor fries lol but i need a dependable set up that will not take a sh*t on me and is at a low cost soo any setups that are cheap and do the job is what im looking for thankyou and also opinions are needed but dont be a ... you know what i mean
EvanSouders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Well a good search always follows one of these types of questions............. what type of crawling do you expect to do? Because if it is light, maybe a velenion system will work for you,
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What motor and esc to run

I put a venom 3300 kv motor esc combo in my wraith about 8 months ago! $139.00 for a water proof esc and motor! It is fairly easy to program with genome programming card as well. Mine has held up exceptionally well and has not been treated gently! I am sure there are cheaper systems out there but I can't comment on there durability!
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Cheap and good rarely come in the same package.
The mud is going to be the killer of the motors. I'd probably go with a waterproof BRXL and some inexpensive rebuildable motor(s). With the BRXL if you want to bash you can just step it up to 3s or 4s to get some speed out of it.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

do you think a traxxas vxl3 and a pro4 or another 4 pole motor would be a good match
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I think ill go with this its pretty much castle stuff outfitted by Duratrax only 115$ easy on the bank account
https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/duratra...em-p-3687.html
Old 08-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I suspect it will suck for crawling.
Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Sport combo
$130 go with 27T motor, waterproofed. Run 3s and it should be pretty beastie.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

what about this one

Wraith with Hobbywing XeRun Brushless Combo - YouTube

HobbyWing JS5 Sensored Brushless RC Car Combo w/ Justock 45A ESC + XERUN-17.5T 1900kv Sensored Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Buggy/Truck Competition (ROAR Approved)

the link to the combo has a faster motor
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Castle Creations | Sidewinder SV2
I think I might want this... and it can be programedfor drag brake just like anything else castle
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i have the sv2 and it burnt out after one plug in im trying to send it to castle to give me a new one and the sv2 is not sensord so it cogs like hell
Old 08-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

can you run it in brushed mode? most likey ill be doin that.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

If you go brushless just make sure it's sensored. I don't know how well brushless holds up to water and mud. I only have it in my EXO and that stays fairly dry.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

If your doing any mudding, go with cheap brushed motors. Mud/dirt will destroy motors. The best brushed esc is a holmes hobbies brxl waterproofed. This is only if your gonna do any crawling. If your just looking for a basher/mud truck, get a brushless non sensored motor. They will keep purty much all water, mud and dirt out. Mudding with a sensored motor and going through a lot of water doesn't end too well. Its due to the sensore setup on the motor doesn't make it as sealed. Me personly, I don't like brushless for crawling. They aren't as smooth but for bashing/racing, they are the best.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinscx View Post
If your doing any mudding, go with cheap brushed motors. Mud/dirt will destroy motors. The best brushed esc is a holmes hobbies brxl waterproofed. This is only if your gonna do any crawling. If your just looking for a basher/mud truck, get a brushless non sensored motor. They will keep purty much all water, mud and dirt out. Mudding with a sensored motor and going through a lot of water doesn't end too well. Its due to the sensore setup on the motor doesn't make it as sealed. Me personly, I don't like brushless for crawling. They aren't as smooth but for bashing/racing, they are the best.
best answer, it all really depends on how much and what kind of crawling you're talking about because if it is very light crawling where you're more just jumping over stuff and driving through with out technical stuff, then a non sensored brushless will do you great but if there is technical crawling, then a waterproof brxl is great witha cheap rebuildable motor like integy or just get those cheapy rc4wd closed endbell cans, only like $10, probably could stick like a panty hose or foam over the gaps on the can to keep out debris
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

XL-5 esc and cheap rc4wd motors gets my vote. even with a cheap rebuildable motor, you still come out cheaper with the rc4wd ones. mud will kill everything, even the bearings throughout the truck. get ya a couple bearing set for the truck too
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonoid369 View Post
best answer, it all really depends on how much and what kind of crawling you're talking about because if it is very light crawling where you're more just jumping over stuff and driving through with out technical stuff, then a non sensored brushless will do you great but if there is technical crawling, then a waterproof brxl is great witha cheap rebuildable motor like integy or just get those cheapy rc4wd closed endbell cans, only like $10, probably could stick like a panty hose or foam over the gaps on the can to keep out debris

These are some good choices.....

I agree it all depends on where and what you are running. I run a BR-XL in my SCX10 and just run cheap stock Axial motors or the RC4WD motors (I never spend more then 10 dollars on a Motor). The BR-XL works awesome and can be programmed with a castle link, has a great drag brake (Holmes Hold) and can handle 6s LiPo. But will only run brushed motors.

I also run a Mamba Max Pro in my Wraith with a ReVtech 21.5t Seonsored motor. It will run through mud all day long and never have an issue. The seonsor port on the motor, when I plug in my sensor plug I liquid electrical tape the area and seal the sensor area. Has worked great for me and I am very tough on my rigs.

I would say Budget is a big issue when it comes to buying any part on these rigs. Sometimes it is definately worth it to spend more then to cheap out.

My Vote:
(BRUSHED) HH BR-XL with a cheap 20t-35t motor
(BRUSHLESS) Mamba Max Pro with a good Sensored 17.5t - 21.5t motor
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
RCC Addict

sensored brushless is not waterproof unless you do it yourself. VXL is sensorless.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
sensored brushless is not waterproof unless you do it yourself. VXL is sensorless.
I have run Brushless sensored and sensorless through DEEP mud and water over the roof with no issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i've tried few different set ups. the traxxas e-maxx motors are good expendable brushed motors. with a sidewinder esc in brushed mode makes for a good combo. i have also had a tekin rx8 and t8 motor in my honcho on 2s. honeslty it was the best combo ive tried. currently i have a novak goat and 21.5 sensored combo. oddly enough i have slight cogging under heavly load.

someone asked about the vxl with a 4 pole motor. the vxl dosnt like 4 pole. trust me
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

HobbyWing JS5 Sensored Brushless RC Car Combo w/ Justock 45A ESC + XERUN-17.5T 1900kv Sensored Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Buggy/Truck Competition (ROAR Approved)
so if i got this and sealed it all up and the sensored input id be good

What motor and esc to run - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What motor/esc combo you run? BAXTER Axial SCX-10 5 01-15-2012 08:25 AM
what motor and esc to run ax10tn Axial Wraith 4 12-11-2011 11:08 AM
Need Help what motor and esc should I run?!!!!!!!! VenomCreeper14 Venom Creeper 3 07-25-2011 05:47 PM
What motor and ESC does everyone run? 808mills Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 7 11-24-2010 05:53 AM