Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX-10 JK Scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

Default SCX-10 JK Scaler

After a 9 year hiatus from RC I decided it was time to get back into the game after seeing the SCX-10 at my LHS. It was so scale and very affordable. I had always wanted a Bruiser growing up, but the SCX-10 appealed to because it came with so much. Back in the day I used to race electric touring cars in the stock class, and now the entire RC world is different with this whole LiPo and brushless what have you. Greedy for run time I picked up a 7600mah 2s pack to go with my RTR SCX-10.

When I got home I was astonished at how amazing it was to drive. I crawled over my shoes, tool boxes, my sofa etc. I took it to a park and then the beach and back to the park and the lipo was still running strong. In fact I ran it for about 30 minutes a day for 6 days before I hit the cutoff.

I wasn't a fan of the ambiguous Honcho body and the large 4.3" tires so I ordered some bits from Tower and RC4WD and got to work making my JK.

I like the hardtop JK's in on solid color and white what that color for me.

I also put on the Dingo bumpers, but the front was a little low and far forward for the JK body.

So I used some extra bits from the parts trees to raise it up and push it in.

I also went with the GMade 1.9 beadlocks because of the 6 lug look and the Mud Thrashers because I love the BFG Mud Terrain tread pattern.

The rock rails were a little low and far out too so I trimmed them way down and inverted them to get them nice and close to the body.

Before

After

I didn't like seeing the underside of the body so I picked out a proline undertray. After some copious trimming and cutting I got it to fit nice and snug.

I added some mirrors and decals, and then I got impatient and I wanted to drive it again. More details will be added like a spare tire carrier, wipers, darken the panel lines, and other various black bits on the body (latches, window trim etc)

I'm very happy with how scale it's starting to look. And the flex is impressive without being ridiculous.

I'm putting a video together now from a little trail session I did under an overpass.
apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Default Re: SCX-10 JK Scaler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooJ7O1RiRI4

Just finished up the video.

Last edited by apex; 09-23-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sweet video. I want a body like that. Check out my video on YouTube at mx4141
MX4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

how did u like those wheels? i was thinkn of getn them
jscalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

A big help with white lexan bodies is to do the inside black or grey. Makes it much more real lookin. Nice rig so far

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nice build so far Apex. Im getting ready to build a Class 1 rig using this same body. Im going for a US BORDER PATROL theme on it. Ill have to post up some pics once I get it done.

Ive also got some wheels similar to those (non-beadlock) that I was thinking about running... I kinda like that military look.

Keep us posted as you continue the build!
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX4141 View Post
Pretty sweet video. I want a body like that. Check out my video on YouTube at mx4141
Thanks, I had fun making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscalecrawler View Post
how did u like those wheels? i was thinkn of getn them
I really like them, they look the part. I'm not a fan of fancy looking off road wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinie_21 View Post
A big help with white lexan bodies is to do the inside black or grey. Makes it much more real lookin. Nice rig so far

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, I think I'm going to tint the windows as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209SCXCRAWLER View Post
Nice build so far Apex. Im getting ready to build a Class 1 rig using this same body. Im going for a US BORDER PATROL theme on it. Ill have to post up some pics once I get it done.

Ive also got some wheels similar to those (non-beadlock) that I was thinking about running... I kinda like that military look.

Keep us posted as you continue the build!
Awesome, can't wait to see it.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

very nice jk, great start for your first scaler. i run the same body on rig.
here is the build thread - * scx10 jeep jk * action pics *
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX-10 JK Scaler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where will my SCX-10 scaler get more power? Pappy Axial SCX-10 21 11-13-2009 11:28 PM