Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Help: Deadbolt Snow-Proofing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

Default Help: Deadbolt Snow-Proofing

Hey guys!

So I'm going to get a scx10 deadbolt, and I want to be able to run it in the snow. I'm going to upgrade the steering linkage to aluminum, and use a venom 2c 7.4v 5000mah. So what do I need to do to protect my future rig from the snow? I don't need it 100% waterproof yet, just able to withstand the slight water from snow and ice.
pickledeyeball2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Help: Deadbolt Snow-Proofing

If you have the time might as well waterproof the whole thing then you dont have to worry. I think the esc is waterproof from the factory (someone will know for sure)There are some great threads on how to do it.
fatcalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Esc is waterproof, servo is water resistant. The receiver could be a problem. You can waterproof it, put it in a balloon or seal the receiver box.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

I don't want to fully waterproof it yet, because I would be dropping $400 already in the truck battery charger and tools. So for snow all I would have to do is put the receiver in a balloon? I looked up how to waterproof the receiver, and people just zip tied it in a balloon then put it in the receiver box for full waterproofing. I would have to turn the Esc switch to waterproof, and the servo has a water resistant design?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Cut ESC switch off..solder wires together...heat shrink. Done it's waterproof. Pull servo apart and seal it with your choice of sealant on case edges...or buy a WP servo..

Sent from a whiskey downer beer pounder's shop
Undefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #6

amazon has a good savox waterproof servo for $43.
I just put a dab of black sylicone found at any hardware store on the opening of the rx box were the wires come out. been up to the windows of the body under water with no issues.
nebie545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #7

Thanks guys for your help, and will all I need to do for waterproofing is just waterproof the Esc, receiver and servo? What about the battery? The motor? The axles? Or is the Esc, servo, and receiver all there is to it?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i have all my rigs fully waterproof just for piece of mind, and even though i buy waterproof electronics, there are cheap and easy ways of waterproofing pretty much everything. the motor should be fine (if I'm correct, its a brushed one so thats already waterproof), axles can be sealed but i wouldn't worry, i just replace the diff grease every now and then, i plasti-dip my NiMh and LiPo which works fine unless your battery gets quite hot as it is but batteries are generally fine too. for the receiver you could plasti-dip it or put it in a sealed balloon, same with the esc (even though i think that comes waterproof). with the servo you can take it apart and use marine grease on the insides, then plasti-dip it. There are plenty of threads here on the forums and also tutorials on youtube, that show you how to waterproof everything.
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Have a look at my thread:
Scx10 Deadbolt.

Scx10 Deadbolt.

Dont think the stock servo is water resistant.
jonesyba420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

don`t get a savox wp servo there crap i`ve had two blow out and my mate had 5 blow out there not really waterproof. get a hitec hs 5646wp servo way better i had one in my rig for nearly two yrs untill it died and it got drenched every time it was out now i have another one in there and a baloon will do the job for the rx i do mine that way and its the same as the servo it gets wet as it sits right at the front of my rig as the battery sits sideways onfront o f the motor so no room for the radio box
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ive plasti dipped my new savox so only time will tell how well it holds up, was quite impressed with how sealed the case seemed when I opened it up tbh and when I greased the output shaft none ozzed out so that would indicate a good seal on the output,which is mainly where the water will get in.
jonesyba420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

If you want to WP a stock servo, maintenance is key to how long it lives. I have a stock as-3 in my 1.9 wraith. Not the strongest servo but does what I need it to. I WP'd it by first, taking its casing apart, adding an O-ring on the spline behind and in front of the casing with a dab of marine grease. Headlight bulb grease around the circuit board in the back and a medium coat of marine grease around the outside and screw holes. Every 2-3 runs i re rub it with some grease and it's still working today. As for a savox vs hi-tech, i spent half what a hi tech costs on a savox, marine greased the outside, O-ring'd the out side of the spline and it has been 6 months and counting, both my savox and as-3 have been over 2 ft deep in water, and will go submarine diving again.

Not saying a savox is better than a hi-tech. Ultimately, you usually get what you pay for.

Also, if you plan on playing in water and snow. Take your axles apart and clean everything, bearings diff gears and axle ends, reapply marine grease especially to your bearings, rust in your bearings will kill your power output and eventually need replacing before it burns up your motor.

Last edited by Dad,Canyoufix?; 10-13-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyba420 View Post
Ive plasti dipped my new savox so only time will tell how well it holds up, was quite impressed with how sealed the case seemed when I opened it up tbh and when I greased the output shaft none ozzed out so that would indicate a good seal on the output,which is mainly where the water will get in.
one of my mates did`nt last one run he put it on ran it for about an hour and it just started glitching like hell he sent it back and the board was knackered and when i sent mine back i was told it was something todo with the first run of these servo`s. the only good bit was they sent me the highest spec wp servo savox do as they did`nt have any stock of the one i had so i sold it on as i did`nt want the hassle again.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, deadbolt, scx10, snow, waterproofing

Help: Deadbolt Snow-Proofing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Wranger Rubicon Vid... Snow Roads, Slow Crawls... Snow Cave! milestone Scale Videos! 0 02-22-2013 08:26 PM
Jeep Wranger Rubicon Vid... Snow Roads, Slow Crawls... Snow Cave! milestone Videos! 0 02-22-2013 10:43 AM
Summit Snow Fun....Pulling sled....Snow Chains..etc Tommy_Boy_1184 Videos! 2 01-16-2011 08:49 AM
RC Adventures- SNOW Days Series - Trailing in DEEP SNOW.. Backwoods Style RCSPARKS Videos! 4 12-12-2010 10:46 AM
1/10th scale snow skiis and snow shoes? Mr-Tamiya Scale Accessories 10 02-05-2010 12:56 PM